develop/release branch

develop/release branch

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

abma
Spring Developer

develop/release branch

Post by abma »

Split from viewtopic.php?f=12&t=33436&p=569332#p569332
jK wrote:could you please limit this thread to RC4, the latest weapon commits aren't finished yet ...
then please use a branch next time. the develop branch should be always in a releaseable state.
jK
Spring Developer

Re: Engine Testing - 99.0-RC4

Post by jK »

abma wrote:
jK wrote:could you please limit this thread to RC4, the latest weapon commits aren't finished yet ...
then please use a branch next time. the develop branch should be always in a releaseable state.
You were the one against `release` branches
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

jK wrote:You were the one against `release` branches
unstable / not working stuff always went into branches... if the development branch is broken, other devs can't continue their work!

regardingless of that: the release branch was abandoned because it wasn't used probably and the releaser had to fix merge conflicts (which sucks). you have other problems when creating a release. also a lot of commits were added to the release branch which were unstable.

merging a branch/pull request shows to all others, that the author thinks its ready... commit to develop doesn't show this. imo using branches for "unstable" stuff is A LOT more intuitive than creating a release branch which excludes possible unstable commits.

sorry if this wasn't clear... i assumed so.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

abma wrote:
jK wrote:You were the one against `release` branches
unstable / not working stuff always went into branches... if the development branch is broken, other devs can't continue their work!

regardingless of that: the release branch was abandoned because it wasn't used probably and the releaser had to fix merge conflicts (which sucks). you have other problems when creating a release. also a lot of commits were added to the release branch which were unstable.

merging a branch/pull request shows to all others, that the author thinks its ready... commit to develop doesn't show this. imo using branches for "unstable" stuff is A LOT more intuitive than creating a release branch which excludes possible unstable commits.

sorry if this wasn't clear... i assumed so.
when I commit stuff into a branch, no one sees them and when I later merge it github doesn't show the commits instead it shows a total diff -> again no one sees what changed
-> won't do so
gajop

Post by gajop »

jK wrote:when I commit stuff into a branch, no one sees them and when I later merge it github doesn't show the commits instead it shows a total diff -> again no one sees what changed
-> won't do so
1. work and commit in your branch
2. git pull --rebase origin master
3. git push origin master
(Don't use git merge)
Your commits will be visible and shown last regardless of when they were made, e.g. the last few commits here: https://github.com/gajop/uberserver-1/commits/master
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

jK wrote:when I commit stuff into a branch, no one sees them and when I later merge it github doesn't show the commits instead it shows a total diff -> again no one sees what changed
possibility 2: create a pull request from the branch? then it will show the commits + total diff. a pull request can be created form the same repo, so its few work...

Return to “Engine”