The New GUI - Page 6

The New GUI

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

patmo98

Post by patmo98 »

Zaphod wrote:It isn't, it never got further than greenail getting a CEGUI console window in spring. Everyone is busy with other things.
Thanks. Is there any place where I can find out what all of the diffierent branches are?
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Your best bet would be to ask on the Spring mailinglist.
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

OR you can checkout the repo :)
patmo98

Post by patmo98 »

jouninkomiko wrote:OR you can checkout the repo :)
Actually I did. I just couldn't figure out what some of the branches are.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

branches/tvo1 - some resync tests, currently unmaintained
branches/tvo2 - active sync error fixing development
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

just curious, is any headway being had in regards to the gui? im not whining cause its not done or anything, but it seems its been in development for ages and i was just curious. thanks.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Jouninkomiko, the guy who's working on it has super-aids...
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

Super tonsilitis. Zomg its starting to feel better today...

And the doc okayed me to take percocet twice as often.
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

Unfortuneatly I don't know hard core coding, I'm only a scripter right now (like low level C or C++). But if any new artwork is required at all, I'm more than willing to help.

The default GUI gives me headaches :)
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Vassago: check out this thead. Ice has done up some really nice design for a new GUI skin, we need 2 things now.

1. Someone to impliment CEGUI into spring
2. Someone to learn CEGUI scripting from the tutorials available at thier site and build ice's GUI design as a CEGUI skin.
Domipheus
Spring Developer

Post by Domipheus »

Hey Guys,

Ive downloaded the source, and over the next few days/weeks will be looking at all of the GUI stuff and try to see where it could go with CEGUI.

I'm sure the GUI is one of the most important items in the game, hence why I am going to give it a shot.

I am a busy guy - but i'll post back if I get anywhere :)
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

/bows to domipheus
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

/me knot's a rope on Domi's beld and ties the other end on the three in Caydr backyard.

You're going into a dark place. It costed peoples lives already. We are not going to lose you!
Curse you bermuda GUI!

(this means, good luck! we root for you.)
ILMTitan
Spring Developer

Post by ILMTitan »

I've been working on a .dll interface for a GUI. It meant a few structural changes in Main.cpp, so I am going to make a branch project on svn as soon as I get commit access. The .dll can pass SDL events back to the main code, so the GUI can be implemented incrementally. That's all my test.dll does right now, as I am having problems getting CEGUI to load a scheme or build a window other than GUISheet. I am also far from done with the interface, but it is using the void* method from the AI Callback, so it should be easily extended.
Domipheus
Spring Developer

Post by Domipheus »

Hey, any more information about your method? I don't see the point in using a dll to load another library.

Also wondering why the gui would be passing inputs to the main code, surely its the main code passing input to the gui, and the gui passing back the results of these interactions.

I will have a look at the AIcallback to see how it does it, maybe i'll have a better idea.
ILMTitan
Spring Developer

Post by ILMTitan »

I'm making a .dll interface because some people wanted mod specifiable GUIs. Once I create a branch project on svn, you can take a look at it.

The main code passes inputs to the GUI, and the GUI can pass them back to the main code if it does not do anything with them. Thus we can implement one part of the new GUI while using the rest of the old GUI.
Domipheus
Spring Developer

Post by Domipheus »

Ahh, interesting. I'm intending to use the lua scripting element to the same effect.
peous

Post by peous »

I can't find out if there is someone working on the new UI (i mean the one activated by #define NEW_GUI in the current SVN source) ?
if noone does, i can try to do something with it... but i don't want to work if someone already does...
ILMTitan is your work related to #define NEW_GUI, GUIframe and so on ? Or is it only an abstract interface ?
ILMTitan
Spring Developer

Post by ILMTitan »

I'm trying to focus on making an abstract interface, but to make sure I'm doing things correctly, I am creating (or attempting to) a very basic concrete plug-in.

I inquired about the #define NEW_GUI stuff a while ago, and that was apparently the very first "new GUI" and not the more recent ones that have tried to implement CEGUI.
mightyzog

Post by mightyzog »

I've been working a bit on the 'old' new gui (the one enabled by the NEW_GUI defines), got it cleaned up to a point where it compiles and runs in vstudio7. I was working a bit on some of the problems with it that people described in threads scattered around the forums (mostly, some wierdness with mouse-action canceling). Most recently, I was getting the in-map drawing stuff to work with it.

There are still plenty of things wrong with it, tho (I have a list) :-)

The work on any CEGUI stuff should definitely go on! I was doing this to get familiar with the spring code, and as a 'backup' since it seemed like work on the alternatives were going quite slowly until domipheus came around.

I tried to upload the files to fileuniverse, but it wasn't taking uploads today. Is there an alternate site? If not, I'll keep trying to upload what I have. IMHO, it looks a LOT better than the current gui. It works if you have a 0.72b1 build.

Return to “Engine”