request: anti-nuke sub

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Harm

Post by Harm »

for example on shore to shore its too easy to build 10 nuke silos and defend your coast with that, an anti-nuke sub would be great.
Kuroneko

Re: request: anti-nuke sub

Post by Kuroneko »

Harm wrote:for example on shore to shore its too easy to build 10 nuke silos and defend your coast with that, an anti-nuke sub would be great.
it's too easy?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Re: request: anti-nuke sub

Post by SwiftSpear »

Kuroneko wrote:
Harm wrote:for example on shore to shore its too easy to build 10 nuke silos and defend your coast with that, an anti-nuke sub would be great.
it's too easy?
A single antinuke sub is supposed to compare to 10 antinuke?
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

for example on shore to shore its too easy to build 10 nuke silos and defend your coast with that, an anti-nuke sub would be great.
No, it's meant to hinder pepole from just Building Gunships and bombers and killing your antinuke...

oh, then you could have one on shore and one in the sea... so when they think they can nuke ya, they waste their preisouc nukes ^^
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Maybe an anti nuke carrier? Although that would increase the cost of it and make it less good as an energy maker...
Water is missing alot of stuff...

- We can't build radars on it although we can build sonars.
- We can't build hovercraft plants...
- We have no anti nuke capabilities.
- We have no nuke capabilities.
- We have no LRPC capabilities.
- Probably something else important.

I think that the first 3 should be available to water.

http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewt ... 8201#28201
Last edited by PauloMorfeo on 07 Sep 2005, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

The solution to protect your antinukes from bombers is to build the vehicle ones and put them on triangular patrol routes :P
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Swimming Krogoths anyone?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

SinbadEV wrote:Swimming Krogoths anyone?
Removing krogoths anyone?
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

SwiftSpear wrote:
Removing krogoths anyone?
Not, why not removing brawler instead? I have never problem with kroggies, but with brawler..they always rush my com, and I rarely have the time to set him to be cloacked and holdfire.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

play OTA ;)
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

PauloMorfeo wrote:- We can't build radars on it although we can build sonars.
- We can't build hovercraft plants...
- We have no anti nuke capabilities.
Sounds like you people need to check out UH.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

FizWizz wrote:...
Sounds like you people need to check out UH.
Well, i did knew that other mods (UH, AA, TAUIP, etc) have water based radars and Hover Plants (didn't knew about the water based anti nuke capabilitites, though). They should also be possible in XTA+Spring.

And if possible, without the «ugly» work around of having to have 2 buildings of each, one for sea and one for land.
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

Why is it ugly?

Sea variants have to be different.

1) Appearance. Notice how all sea variants of units have pontoons or something of that nature. A normal HLT sticking out of the water would just be silly.

2) Balance, Part one: Sea units, on average, do more damage than land units, therefore sea variants need more armor to be a useful expenditure. The only thing sea platformed units die very quickly to are torpedoes, but subs should be powerful for their cost anyway so this is acceptable.

3) There is no three.

4) Balance, Part two: Sea variants of facilities generally cost more. This makes sense due to their added armor and odd environment (compared to their normal situation). It costs more to build an oil rig on the sea than it does on land in real life because of the environment, so the same should be true of this.

I'm sure I could think of a few more reasons if I thought about it. In any case, the seperate sea variants should be left in. If you really want to do away with them so badly, make your own mod.

Personally, here's what I would do:

-Give both sides an UW moho mex and/or UW moho metal maker, with slightly more than comparable output stats to their land based variants. Think of the fusion outputs here (1200 sea, 1050 land, for Core at least). Up their cost accordingly.

-Give the scout ships a bit of radar. Maybe 60-75% of a radar tower. Up their cost just a bit to compensate, but not too much.

-Equip either the missile ships or the carriers with anti-nukes. I believe UH gave the carriers anti, but they would be logical on the missile ships as well.

-Add the floating HPs. They're logical. They should cost a tad more than the land ones as well, though. Give them a faster build speed (like, they build hovers themselves a little faster) to compensate.

That pretty much fills in all the gaps of sea power. Solars aren't really necessary on water (since any map where water is a viable option has at least acceptable tidal output), and wind... well, same thing. Radar's covered by the ships (in mobile form too!): the scout and the carrier. Antinukes would be mobile (upon thinking about this, perhaps antis on the missile ship would be best since the carrier gets radar). There would be advanced metal output facilities. Artillery would be covered by ships, obviously, and we already have floating MTs/HLTs.

Of course, that's just my humble opinion on someone wanting to expand the sea business. I'm quite fond of tidal/fmm farming ;)
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

I don't particularly mind the nuke thing, but I have to say that I agree with the fact that there aren't enough sea possibilities. I'd like to make moho metal makers on underwater patches, and underwater geos. Water based hovers, anti air was just added with xta. It would add a lot to mostly sea maps imo.
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

OTA had the anti air ships, which actually perform better than any land based variants...
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

But I we add a lot of underwater units, it could be cool at least to be able to revove them from the build list on non-watermap. They are so many unit's that when I'm stressed, I don't find the one I want.
Triaxx2

Post by Triaxx2 »

I agree with Gnome on all his points, and I'd like to mention, that a Nuke sub would be great. Does spring suffer from the OTA weapon limitation?
Kuroneko

Post by Kuroneko »

Triaxx2 wrote:I agree with Gnome on all his points, and I'd like to mention, that a Nuke sub would be great. Does spring suffer from the OTA weapon limitation?
iirc, IDs are irrelevant in Spring.
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

i guess he meant that subs in TA couldnt have weapons hitting land/air, not the ID limit ....
Kuroneko

Post by Kuroneko »

IMSabbel wrote:i guess he meant that subs in TA couldnt have weapons hitting land/air, not the ID limit ....
TA could have subs with missiles that hit ground targets. I had an "ICBM" sub that used missiles to attack ground targets. Interestingly enough, it won't fire in Spring... hrmmm...

Return to “Engine”