Spring RTS, Oculus Rift, 3D!

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

ThePowerTool

Post by ThePowerTool »

I apologize for being a complete novice when it comes to 3D. I thought I had a clue regarding 3D but the more I research and learn the more I discover I didn't know.

I found the Spring RTS 3D announcement - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19995&hilit=oculus+rift

It basically says 3D options are now supported in Spring--awsome!

Oculus, in their infinite wisdom, disabled their "desktop mode" option in the driver. My understanding is that basically means anything that would send "raw" 3d to a monitor which could then be interpreted to send to the Oculus Rift for 3D stereoscopic display, has been disabled. I think this means developers have to do something to make support work.

Is it possible to play Spring in 3D on an Oculus Rift?

Is anyone playing Spring on an Oculus Rift?

Thanks!
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Spring RTS, Oculus Rift, 3D!

Post by PicassoCT »

Hi PowerTool,

that is realy incredibble- so spring supported shifted 3d displaying all along.
We need the car repairer.
ivand

Post by ivand »

Haven't tried VR rendering ever, but as far as I understand, implementation requires drawing world two times with slightly different view matrix on half-width viewport each.

Naive implementation shouldn't be that hard to do. Something in between https://github.com/spring/spring/pull/128/files and https://hub.packtpub.com/rendering-ster ... ng-opengl/
However it's likely that such implementation wouldn't be optimal, something like instancing or geometry shader instancing is likely yield better FPS.

If you feel like getting into 3D programming, it might be a good idea to tinker with naive implementation as a first step.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

implementation requires drawing world two times with slightly different view matrix on half-width viewport each
If you wear your screen directly on your face, yes. The "pre Oculus" way (anaglyphic 3D) also requires color-filtering the scene for your left and right eye plus a pair of these.
Oculus, in their infinite wisdom, disabled their "desktop mode" option in the driver.
Surprisingly they actually want people to use their headsets.
ThePowerTool

Post by ThePowerTool »

ivand wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 11:27 Haven't tried VR rendering ever, but as far as I understand, implementation requires drawing world two times with slightly different view matrix on half-width viewport each.

If you feel like getting into 3D programming, it might be a good idea to tinker with naive implementation as a first step.
I've seen the recommendations you reference, before. I wish I could program.
Kloot wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 11:59 If you wear your screen directly on your face, yes. The "pre Oculus" way (anaglyphic 3D) also requires color-filtering the scene for your left and right eye plus a pair of these.
Key corrections: It is anaglyph 3D. It was not "the pre Oculus way" but one option and not, initially at-least, the most popular or commonly used option.

FYI: "wearing your screen on your face"--I think you could say the standard term for this is HMD (for head-mounted display).

Your statement also ignores a plethora of "pre Oculus" stereoscopic options that were specifically not anaglyph 3D. I was playing Red Faction on I-O Glasses (made by I-O Display Systems) back in 2002. It provided dual displays, similar to Oculus but with key differences, that were 640x480 (if I remember correctly)--and I do remember the resolution as insufficient and it wasn't "immersive" enough for my tastes. Here is a handy link to a "museum" page covering numerous options in that time-frame: http://www.stereo3d.com/hmd.htm

The wiki page you referenced in your post covers the key corrections, and more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_film
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I think you may be underestimating the intended impact of inverted commas.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

... as well as overestimating how much I care about being regaled with tales from your personal history concerning terribad early Oculus-style VR technology, which was limited in many more aspects than resolution alone.

FYI since I can see tiny details matter to you: "anaglyph" being a noun that denotes "a composite picture printed in two colors that produces a three-dimensional image when viewed through spectacles having lenses of corresponding colors", the adjective phrase "anaglyphic 3D [rendering]" -- similar to "stereoscopic 3D"-- is neither semantically nor syntactically in need of correction, albeit (going by a mere cursory Google search) less commonly used, which I will henceforth certainly take into due consideration when interacting with language purists again.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Why does he get yelled at constructively, but my AR-Branch doesent even get a yell?
I mean, i could drag the spring camera around in 3d with my phone.

I would greatly appreciate if there was a separate camera for VR/AR.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36579

Basically i tried to archieve the same with CardBoard VR. Problem is, for it to be efficient you need a good videocodec and a real fast transfer.

+ that VR-Cam
ThePowerTool

Post by ThePowerTool »

Silentwings wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 07:53 I think you may be underestimating the intended impact of inverted commas.
You raise a valid concern. Here's a quick explanation as I hadn't intended Scare quotes which I had no knowledge of until your post:

"the pre Oculus way" - direct quote - Kloot
"wearing your screen on your face" - direct quote - Kloot
"pre Oculus" - punctuation mistake; this should have simply had a hyphen
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

So to sum it up, Kloot volunteers to implement a real VR-Cam, because he doesent want us infantiles stompede through his source-code?
Ah, the power of foolishness.
Years of honed skills, have turned me into the suicide bomber of code-bases.
There is no dot, like the go-dot.
make spring -greet -again

Code: Select all

std::cout("Hello World!");

Return to “Help & Bugs”