Spring won't open saves! - Page 2

Spring won't open saves!

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Spring won't open saves!

Post by zwzsg »

Kernel Panic has its own custom savegame system, that works 90% of time!
id10terror

Post by id10terror »

Looking forward to it R-TEAM thanks for reading/posting.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

i think it works when you just quit the game and then load the replay, and replay it to the point you quited, but dont let spring shut off the game... just keep playing from that moment, should work IIRC.

in replay use "/cheat" and then "/team 0" or somtehing like that, or even "/godmode" to control everything there. "/skip 600" can skip to the 10minutes IIRC so you dont need to fast forward 2 hours...
id10terror

Post by id10terror »

Really? have you tested it? I know for CERTAIN that it DOES NOT, see my crash logs for further details. And dont try only if/under certain conditions. You are saying that spring has save load support that will work with AI players, and as i have shown it does not.
I appologise for being so blunt but i'm getting tired of people that have such high post counts posting such n00b responses. if i missed somthing feel free to be blunt with me.

The ways are ENDLESS. The will seems NON EXISTANT.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

hmm... oh yeah maybe the AI's stops working, but i dont see a problem to make them work again with a small patch
id10terror

Post by id10terror »

Do you have said patch? I rather have a big problem with the ai's not working.

Just so anyone reading down here knows Save/Load DO NOT WORK in spring.

I have no idea why this information is missing from the FAQ but i'm guessing its quite a sore point between developers.

I'll post some screenshots of my TA game tommorow, showcasing the save and load functionality. Lets see 12 years ago it was released and we still have not caught up to it today. I'd love to play spring but if i cannot save or load whats the point?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Annihilation
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

90+% of ppl play online only (no need to load/save) thats why it is has never been a high priority thing.
i am head of AI dev, and even i do not care much for it.
it is not in the FAQ cause nobody added it. it is a Wiki, everyone can add it.
patches for fixing it are welcome, it is a non trivial and unstable thing that needs fixing though.
loading and saving with AIs (with the exception of KernelPanic) IS FAIL in spring. i dont know how it is without AIs, as i care too little to even test. if that would work, there would be an relatively easy work around for AIs, whihc is:
killing all AIs -> save
load -> recreating all AIs
this couls be done manually, wiht a widget, or with the engine. the only thing that is suboptimal about it, is that most AIs wil loose some state information, though it would be good also, as AIs would be written to work better for this usecase, which is good in my eyes, for AI development(/research) as a whole.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

id10terror wrote:I'd love to play spring but if i cannot save or load whats the point?
Best games are played online, i dont see a point playing alone versus AI's... none of the AI's can beat human opponent (unless they cheat).
id10terror

Post by id10terror »

Trademark: I am playing against 3 Ais teamed together and yes they cheat(ta was built this way(taucp using mostly harmless on hard boost).

hoijui: Dont take my comments personally, i like your answers and responces, they seem both honest and genuine. I'm getting frustrated with what i term 'miss information' where a user who clearly hasn't tested spring posts information which conflicts with real world tests.

Not everyone has an active internet connection everywhere in the world so you are effectivly saying if you dont have net then tough.

Its your choice, you can choose to ignore these people and they will continue to use thier old ta, and the spring community will miss out on anything they may have been able to bring to the community. Until spring replaces all the functionality of TA it will just be an alternative. When spring matures it will replace TA, as openttd has done for ttd.

So i continue to play TA but i do keep watching spring releases. And i will keep testing spring releases.

I wont bother to play online, or play spring at all.I havn't had time to learn each mods variation on the mainline and won't until i can battle test mods vs an ai. It would be inappropriate to join a net game for the sole purpose of experimenting.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

it is possible to play against AI, many do it, i do it myself. not beeing able to save is a problem there, but its not a major one. if for you, it is a fatal one, your bad. if the actively contributing part of the spring community does not care enough, your bad. nobody here will do stuff in response to posts like this.. we have even active members of the community that do the same to other members, and i can not remem ber it working. in case you dont get it:
"it is your free joice, i am just saying, the you will loose all your clients if you do not do what i tell you"
thats what you did, and if you clearly got it that you did or not, does not matter. neither that you did it.
i have a feel i can reuse this post in the future.
id10terror

Post by id10terror »

You say i said -> "it is your free joice, i am just saying, the you will loose all your clients if you do not do what i tell you"

What i actually wrote -> " Its your choice, you can choose to ignore these people and they will continue to use thier old ta, and the spring community will miss out on anything they may have been able to bring to the community. Until spring replaces all the functionality of TA it will just be an alternative. When spring matures it will replace TA, as openttd has done for ttd."

Clearly i didn't say you would loose all your clients. I Implied that anyone not currently using spring for the reasons i mentioned will continue not to use spring.

The loose translation of this is -> You will increase yor community size by removing these barriers, otherwise if your happy you can continue on the current path.

There are people out there who don't play spring and i would expect that they are not members of the forum and as such i would expect that they dont post in and tell you why they don't play spring.

hoijui: Dont take my comments personally, i LIKE your answers and responces, they seem both HONEST and GENUINE.

I'm getting frustrated with what i term 'miss information' where someone who clearly hasn't tested spring posts information which conflicts with real world tests.

If you wish to reuse my post in the future thats fine, just copy and paste it and do not translate or interpret my posts.

Miss information, Interpretation errors, A lack of will, are really killing me. If anyone wants me to remove myself from the forum i will. Just post to this thread with the test "Please remove yourself" and i'll be happy to oblige.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

this thread is being locked in... 3... 2... 1...
R-TEAM

Post by R-TEAM »

Hi,

OMG id10terror ... you beat raly a dead Horse ....
I have tryed a couple of times to motivate the devs finaly implement load/save - but nothing happen - so the only you and i can do is to wait and Hope ....

I agree 101% with you.But this change still nothing.
Know min. 8 players ATM that like to play spring and have at my home or
if i get the data per flash to him at her PC testet small games and love it.
But she have al seriuos life with work/studi, partly family and other hobbys too that is not much time free to play spring.
And we are love long big battles and more strategic play and not fast with many fancy effects and this all ...
The user that mainly love fast - more action game play and not strategic and longer battles are primarly young users that play the actual hype Game and not a game who no one know if he say here name on school.So it is not a "magic" that spring only very slow grows
from the user base.The mass of young players who like fast/action anonymous online-play play commercial hype-games, and the user that like long good balanced strategic play with friends or at LAN need load and save - and this isnt present ........

Regards
R-TEAM
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

saving games is a hard problem, because:
1) not many people care about it,
2) none of the developers cares enough to do something about it
3) it's hard work to make it work
4) it's even harder to make it extensible and bug-free
5) it'll need mod support anyway, because parts of lua state need to be saved and it's up to the modders to determine which. (this can be to some extent avoided by the use of pluto or something similar.)
IOW, saving games is perceived as a tedious job with little reward, hence nobody has worked on it for quite a while.
id10terror

Post by id10terror »

Still waiting on a coherent responce from hoijui, hes been on the forum the last few days but doesn't seem to be taking the time to accurately translate my post.

R-TEAM, thanks for the support.

imbaczek, you have raised valid points however
1. Is debatable, i dont even play spring yet here i am, created my forum account for this sole purpose.
2. Agreed, this is why i post here.
3. Agreed but debatable - define working? Cavedog managed it. Ottd managed it. In fact find a game that wont save and tell me its name. oh and dont say spring or space invaders as this leaves huge room for me to post honest comments that offend.
4. Agreed but if said system is extensable point 5 becomes mute.
5. Agreed but depending on system inbuilt 'flexability'

As before if people want me to leave just say the words. I don't lie but i'm not exactly diplomatic with the truth.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

R-TEAM wrote: I agree 101% with you.But this change still nothing.
Just a nitpick (cause I hate it when people say that stuff)... Technically you are saying that you agree with him by 10.1%
id10terror

Post by id10terror »

Logic error. I dont know if i should laugh or cry.
The decimal of 101% is 1.01
if you multiply 1.01 by 3.1415926535897932384626433832795
you get 3.1730085801256911708472698171118
or an extra 0.031415926535897932384626433831497.

While we are nitpicking, how is somthing made difficult because no body cares about it? I'd expect that people not caring about it makes it easier. For example if the police didnt care how fast i drive then it would be easy for me to drive fast etc. How is somthing hard because its hard?
And who the hell is nobody!?!? Everyone's and individual except me, i'm 2 in 1.

Pay no attention to my rantings or do i do not mind, but dont take anything personally. Everyones perception is different, its only through our interactions can we hope to 'sync'.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Technically there can never be more than 100%, therefore, saying that something is 101% would in actuality put the percentages in the range of 0 - 1000, ergo, 10.1%

:-)

I just hate it when people say 110% or stuff like that. It drives me nuts.
id10terror

Post by id10terror »

Fair enough
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Forboding Angel wrote:
R-TEAM wrote: I agree 101% with you.But this change still nothing.
Just a nitpick (cause I hate it when people say that stuff)... Technically you are saying that you agree with him by 10.1%
It actually says he fully agreed with him & is agreed of 1% of his future answer, wherever it will be. :mrgreen:

Return to “Help & Bugs”