I'm not sure what to do about this error

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

w00tm0nger

Post by w00tm0nger »

I'm new and trying to play spring (I was a huge fan of the original total annihalation). But after i run it, select expand and exterminate as my mod, and ect. I always get this error when loading:

error at postiion 41 near "ARB_fragment_program_shadow;

" when looking fragment program file groundFPshadow.fp: 1004: 'ARB_fragment_program_shadow': invalid program operation

I'm using Linux.

Thanks.
Neddie
Community Lead

Re: I'm not sure what to do about this error

Post by Neddie »

Graphics card issue. What card do you have, which drivers?

I would turn off Shadows for now.

Also, mod isn't the correct terminology. There are mods, which are generally modified ports of TA content, and there are games, which are independent of the original TA content. The install merely inaccurately considers them all mod files since in the distance past all we had were TA derivatives.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

they are also called mods in the engine codebase ;-)

i had the same problem under linux wiht my intel 945GME card. and indeed, tunring off shadows helps. In ~/.springrc, set:

Code: Select all

Shadows=-1
setting it to 0 will not turn shadows off.
anyway... it is very likely that you will not be able to ever play spring nicely with your card on linux (just guessing, as it does not support this extension).
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

hoijui wrote:they are also called mods in the engine codebase ;-)
Which doesn't make it right. If coders wrote reality then we would not be developed enough to observe the consistent crashes thereof. :-)
linuxisevolution

Post by linuxisevolution »

I was talking with josh over aim to fix the problem, we both use LInux, and since the game relies on Opengl(not sure which version) it should run much better on Linux natively than in Windows. Also, thank you hoijui
you saved us a lot of time - I couldn't find the configuration file since I thought it would be in /etc/ somewhere. He has an emachines running GOS, an Ubuntu based distro. I had him run glxinfo and according to that his card is made by CGI. I have no idea what company that is...
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

well..
just try to disable shadows, and if spring runs ok then, do not worry about anything else. maybe you just have very bad drivers installed, and there are better drivers for your card around... you have to deal wiht that yourself/search help elsewhere (ubuntu forums or something).
all the ATI and Intel cards i had so far had way worse drier support for linux thenunder windows, and therefore all OpenGL stuff is bound to work better under windows (well not all, but spring at least). more performant, more shiny, less crashy.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

hoijui wrote:they are also called mods in the engine codebase ;-)
I would say they are mods. Being limited to the RTS world, to call them independent 'games' would be too much.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

would you say that kernel panic is a 1944 mod?
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

Like Neddie said, there are mods and there are games. As Imba pointed out, KP and S44 are very different and in no way related - except for the engine they both share. America's Army, Deus Ex and (of course) Unreal all use the Unreal Engine. Does that make them mods of each other?

Return to “Help & Bugs”