My News

My News

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

BlackLiger

My News

Post by BlackLiger »

http://www.bolton.ac.uk/courses/course_ ... ode=single

This is a real university course and im lookin at it seriously. So if spring is still goin in about 2 years time, you will have a new team member SY :P (asside from my unofficial work in sortin out the OTA music into a setup you can use)
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

Good for you! These topics are incredible... the classes can give you the information but games development is yet another step above that. Practice practice practice! Write demos, read books, etc. Premier Press's "Game Development Series" of books are invaluable to learn more on these topics and get a look at in depth methods actually used today (http://www.premierpressbooks.com/ptr_ca ... ment&all=1) I personally have 7 or 8 of these.[/url]
sparkyhodgo

Post by sparkyhodgo »

cool! BTW how did the OTA music files work out for you? Any chance we can get contextual music?
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

im not gonna touch the sound code until my lobby is ready for you all to play with. and you'll know when you're playing with it!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

hehe coe to think of it I was curious about a very similair sort of degree at JMU
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

BlackLiger:
That's a really neat course...

It's even better than the one i'm taking (mine is a profession training course of programming of 1500h).

Where are you from? UK?
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Thats a cool course to go on! Wish I could have done somthing cool like that! Should be very intresting too. Good Luck with it!

aGorm
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Agormlessfool :P lol thats ur full name aint it :P
And yes, im from the UK. Manchester to be precise ;)

and Jorm, i dont plan on touching the code till i learn some. Im tryin to work the music into a smaller size without reducing quality, so you can still use it w spring..........
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Actully, youre almost right! Its aGorm Isafol. It stems from the following:

A (obvious...) Gorm (comes from the word gormless : This is a good old Lancashire dialect word meaning ├óÔé¼┼ôlacking sense or discernment├óÔé¼┬Ø. ) is a Fool (a person who behaves in a silly way without thinking)

I couldn't stand school and I certanly cant be doin with computers, which is why I work with computers all day. (ask almost anyone in the IT proffesion, they all hate computers...). Which is why i'd never be able to get a qualification in them... Im miles away from manchester...

aGorm
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Yikes I couldnt imagien workign without computers

*standing in mcdonalds asking what..* NO YOU RUINED THE PICTURE!!!!!!!!! no I dotn work at mcdonalds but I do like mcflurrys a bit too much... mmmm
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

i dont plan on touching the code till i learn some.
The only way to learn how to programme is to do it, sure you'll probably crash your computer once or twice, or if your like me an unholy amount, but it will help you learn a tremendously.

P.S. Mind asking your tutor/teacher/lecturer what values glReadPixels actually puts in the pointer you pass to it? :wink:
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

it depends on the byte format you request, as well as which buffer you want to get the data from (ie stencil, depth, etc). It gets the data from the current rendering context (basically, what you are currently rendering to) from the rectangle you specify. Taken directly from the man pages, the arguments are as follows.

void glReadPixels(GLint x,
GLint y,
GLsizei width,
GLsizei height,
GLenum format,
GLenum type,
GLvoid *pixels)

PARAMETERS
x, y Specify the window coordinates of the first pixel that is read from the frame buffer. This location is the lower left corner of a rectangular block of pixels.

width, height Specify the dimensions of the pixel rectangle. width and height of one correspond to a single pixel.

format The format of the returned pixel data. The allowable values are GL_COLOR_INDEX, GL_STENCIL_INDEX, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_RED, GL_GREEN, GL_BLUE, GL_ALPHA, GL_LUMINANCE, GL_LUMINANCE_ALPHA, GL_RGB, GL_RGBA, GL_BGR_EXT, GL_BGRA_EXT, GL_ARGB_I3D, GL_422_EXT, GL_422_REV_EXT, GL_422_AVERAGE_EXT, and GL_422_REV_AVERAGE_EXT.

type Specifies the data type for pixel data. The allowable values are GL_BITMAP, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, GL_BYTE, GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT, GL_SHORT, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, GL_INT, GL_FLOAT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE_3_3_2_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE_2_3_3_REV_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT_5_6_5_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT_5_6_5_REV_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT_4_4_4_4_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT_4_4_4_4_REV_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT_5_5_5_1_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT_1_5_5_5_REV_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_INT_8_8_8_8_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_INT_8_8_8_8_REV_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_INT_10_10_10_2_EXT, and GL_UNSIGNED_INT_2_10_10_10_REV_EXT.

pixels Returns the pixel data.

hopefully these are self explanatory :)
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

So if I put in...

Code: Select all

glReadPixels(x, y, 1, 1, GL_RED, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, &pixel);
That will return me the red ranging from 0-255 of the pixel I clicked?
And therefore if I set that pixels colour by an array item number then the red value should be the same as my the array number used to define it? and therefore I can use it to access the array element?
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

i'd guess so. are you referring to using an index buffer?
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Index buffer? Hahaha, fat chance.

No, seriously my OGL skills aren't quite up to fiddling with buffers, I'm using it to figure out what point in a height map that I clicked, ie, if you click x5,y3 you would have clicked heightmap[x*width+y], so I could then go heightmap[x*width+y]+=0.1; etc etc. To define the selection box colour I used glColor3f(var,var,var); with var=x*width+y;.
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

Ahhh, I see what you're saying. Yes, glReadPixels would do the trick, but I suggest doing something a little different. Store the heightmap information locally in memory, and avoid the gl call to get that information on the fly. Then, update the color when you click that pixel.

Return to “General Discussion”