End game statistics

End game statistics

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

SJ

End game statistics

Post by SJ »

I have started to program an end game screen (up until now you havent really been able to "win") and in true RTS manner it should show lots of more or less interesting statistics. So do anyone has any ideas for what should be shown ?
Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

Kills, loses, energy produced, metal produced, Total units built by you, and stuff like that.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Hummm, I'd suggest this (it includes what Mars said...)

Kills - units you killed
Losses - units you lost
Units built - Well... im sure you know what i mean by that
energy produced - How much... dhu
Metal produced - Dito
Percentage of map explored - thats self explanatory
Time in game - Time you were in game as a player
Tech lvl - One point for every lvl 1 factory, 2 points for every hovercraft factory, 3 points for every lvl 2 factory, and 5 for a krog gantry.

Total = [ (kills x 20) - (losses x 10) + (units built x 10) + (energy produced/100) + (metal prduced/100) + (tech lvl x 10) + (percentage of map explored x 10) ] all that times the time in game (so people that got out early will have low scores no matter how much stuff they had)

That could be a big number so maybe / 100 or somthing...

Obviosly thats just rough, but somthing like that.

aGorm
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Coloured graphs, thats coloured not colored. And have it remember all the players rather than just those in at the very end. What sort of victory conditions are you going to make standard if any?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Instead of showing only a number of the total of M, total of kills, etc... show the result in form of graph, related to time. Graph of killed units, graph of M production, etc....

The total doesn't speak enough, because you just have to wait and delay the final attack once you get a lead to have numbers well over the other, even if you were close for all the rest of the game, but with a graph, you could see more easily when one player took the lead, if an attack hurted, etc...

-Graph of cumuled kills
-Graph of cumuled losses
-Maybe a seperation between units and structures, or better, between offensive units/structures (Missile Turrets and attack units) and ressources units/structures (solars, mexxes, cons, factories). Well, I mean, losing tons of slasher doesn't mean you're doing bad, but losing mexxes or factories is more concerning, so maybe it could be an idea to count them separatly. But yeah, I'm not sure it'd be easy to draw the line between attack units/structures and ressoures units/structures. For instance cons are often sent on the front line. And Fark are fearsome attackers in some rare situations.
-Graph of instant metal production (taking reclaimation into account)
-Graph of instant energy production (taking reclaimation into account)
-Graph of instant metal waste
-Graph of instant energy waste
-Graph of instant number of units being nanolathed (maybe a graph of M consummed would be better, but M consummed is just M produced minus M wasted, so we already have that, anyway, the idea was to have the number of factory in use at a given moment, so, maybe we could have two graphs: graph of number of units being nanolathed by a factory, graph of number of structures being nanolathed by cons)
-Graph of instant number of total units owned by player
-Since it's clear that a krogoth is worth countless AK, maybe instead of taking into account just the number of unit, we could take into account the metal worth, for units kills, unit losses, ressouces structures losses, etc... Oh well, just show both: graphs in number of units and graph in metal worth.
- I'd like a graph showing how much of the map is owned by a player, but I don't think it's easy to determine this. It could be something like: area of the biggest polygon with corner over units of said player and enclosing only units of said player, but that would be too hard to calculate at each instant, and would be disrupted by things like a flight of enemy peepers. Hmm, maybe number of metal patch capped would be a better solution to represent quantities of terrain owned. But with new spring metal vein system, which I don't remember how it works, maybe that won't be so simple.
- I could probably think of more stuff to add, but I'm afraid forumers won't have an attention span long enough to read more.

If you've got too much info to be shown on a single screen, don't be afraid to give us a few button to select what to show, or give us more than one screen, as long as they are easy to navigate back and forth. Also, it would be nice if we could chat while seeing the result, instead of having to quit to comment.

Now that I think about it, maybe it'd be better to have the results shown out of the game, in a gaming client like GBL, PW, BY, but well, Spring hasn't got the point where a gaming client has been made for it, so, for now, remember to program something so stats are easily accessible by other prgm, but anyway, we still need an end-game screen for those who played by IP or LAN or alone. Well, unless you plan of implementing the online gaming client lobby inside spring first release.

Or could it be possible to create a nice set of HTML (or better, XML) pages while quitting spring? I mean, usually when a game end, I want to quickly check lobby, chat, instant messaging, forum, rest of computer, whatever, but it would be nice if the stats stayed after I exited game for me to look back.

Edit: there were two posts while I typed!
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

I think stat is useful if you can see why you lose, or win. Beeing able to sew what you have done wrong, like metal waste.

oh, and it could be very cool, if the stats are sufficient, to be able to save them on the hard drive (in a web format?). So when you post a replay on the web, you can add a summary of the game and people can have a fast look before downloading the replay.
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

I WANNA SEE NUMBER OF MOUSE BUTTON CLICKS... LIKE EMPIRE EARTH HAD... i wanna see da clicks cause for some reason im a uber clicker i played
empire earth with my 3 friends and i had more clicks than all of theirs clicks together i never knew that i click so much. they just called me crazy cause it really was LOTS of clicks
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

Why don't we keep it simple. Stats are nice, but I prefer playing the game instead of looking at the stats. Excess metal and excess energy are the only ones that I do look at, because it tells me how well and efficient I played. The number of units doesn't say a lot nor does the number killed. If I win I don't really care about how many units it took me, or how many I killed. Score is really unimportant for the same reason, and I never figured out how it was calculated, so never meant anything to me. So we can save SJ work, and Spring will be out earlier.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

I agree, simple stats are OK, and I prefere to have spring earlier but if someone don't know what to to do, It could be fun to have detailled stats.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

When I spent hours on a battle, I like a little recaps at the end. I don't think the end screen is what is keeping the Swedish Yankspankers from releasing Spring, it's more something to occupy SJ while others are finishing their part.

And something as simple as a graph of M production would tell alot about the just finished game in a simple glance.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

how about five graphs, all in the one screen.

Metal produced per second
Energy produced per second

Metal wasted per second
Energy wasted per second

%of map controlled (with metal extractors)

On the same graph, show a line down it, begind the graph lines, whenever a unit has died, the color of the units owners team. So we can see when battle took place.
A similar for the commander being killed should also exist.

You should be able to fit about ten minutes of gameplay in a screen, and make it so that you scroll left and right to see longer games.

And I agree you should be able to save it as a webpage, that's a really good idea.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

in fact, you should be able to togle on/off a thing which lets you see when any one unit was built/killed.
So you can see how much difference a bertha made etc.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

You could have moho mines show as darker because it takes more control to have a moho mine on a patch, rather than just plonking a regulare mex on it.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

What about video replays for those of us who chose to video record our games?
Syffer Bidan

Stats

Post by Syffer Bidan »

I am fine with the end-game statistics that the original Total Annihilation had, though "number of units produced" would be interesting.
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

Units lost to friendly fire.
- Your own friendly fire.
- Your allies.

I like the idea of graphs that convey stats.

Some other ideas.
Unit Stats:
Immobile Unit with the most kills for each player.
Mobile Unit with the most kills.

Most built unit.
Most lost unit.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

My proposal goes alot like the one of zwzsg.

First, if you don't want to see detailed stats, close the screen and go on with your life. That's no reason not to make detailed closing statistics.

Second, if they were also saved in HTML/XML, it would be great. We could then analise the losses we had, maybe compare them to the wins and try to see what's wrong. We could even share them to show how much we owned a certain player or as an abreviation of clan battles to post on sites...

Third, a final graph would be really cool so we could see the evolution along time. For example, i totally decay after one hour of play, i remember. Having it and the final numbers would rock.

Statistics:
Resourcing:
1- Amount of total Metal/Energy produced.
2- Amount of total Metal/Energy wasted. (or spent?)
3- Maximum Metal/Energy produced.
4- Maximum Metal/Energy wasted.
5- Percentage (or per-thousand) of map controled. The percentage of metal patches/steam vents controled.

Building:
6- Total number of fighting units built. - And/Or Acumulation of each unit * it's metal cost.
7- Total number of non-fighting units built (buildings).
8- Total number of factories built.
9- Total of those tree.
10- Maximum number of fighting units. - And/Or Acumulation of each unit * it's metal cost.
11- Maximum number of non-fighting units.
12- Maximum number of factories.
13- Total of those tree.

Fighting:
14- Number of fighting units destroyed.
15- Number of non-fighting units destroyed.
16- Number of factories units destroyed.
17- Acumulate for those above.
18- Amount of metal destroyed in enemy fighting units.
19- Amount of metal destroyed in enemy non-fighting units.
20- Amount of metal destroyed in enemy factories units.
21- Acumulate for those above.

Other:
22- Amount of mouse-clicks/orders gives. Why not!?
23- Number of units built per type (250 samsons, Et Cetera)

Graph:
24- Amount of total Metal/Energy produced.
25- Amount of total Metal/Energy wasted.
26- Percentage (or per-thousand) of map controled. The percentage of metal patches/steam vents controled.
27- Total number of fighting units built. - And/Or Acumulation of each unit * it's metal cost.
28- Total number of non-fighting units built (buildings).
29- Total number of factories built.
30- Total of those tree.
31- Maximum number of fighting units. - And/Or Acumulation of each unit * it's metal cost.
32- Maximum number of non-fighting units.
33- Maximum number of factories.
34- Total of those tree.

35- I think i would prefer a graph per player. If we had 8 players we would see 8 graphs.
36- And if the game was team based, i would like to see the acumulates of each team in the statistics and in the graph.

The «not three» thing was intentional! :P
I'm kind of sleepy so i'm not beeing able to review properly. I hope it's ok.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

PauloMorfeo's idea seems good, although I haven't the pateince to read it. But also a give everything in the stats a value, and total them up at the end and chop up the graph according to the total, like in AOE.
sp2danny72

power graph

Post by sp2danny72 »

The graph should display 'power', an estimate somthing along
what aGorm suggestet. The rest should be minimalistic, kinda
like ``m:26k(2k) e:38k(3k) k:277(4)´´ preferebly in a small
font.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Really now, if I wanted data analysis I would have gone somewhere else, keep it simple keep it easy, and have as few values as possible that tell as much information as possible. I want to quickly see who won and who used their resources best aswell as who put in the most effort. Other thigns might eb nice but when I finish a game I'd rather talk to the other player or start a new game than spend 30 minutes trawling through countless values and stats when I've just played the game that I'm being given info on.

Return to “General Discussion”