Thanks to CA - Page 3

Thanks to CA

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Kixxe
Posts: 1547
Joined: 14 May 2005, 10:02

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Kixxe »

Yea, the spring community is TORN APART!

Image

Or maybe it's XTA >_>
0 x

User avatar
LOrDo
Posts: 1154
Joined: 27 Feb 2006, 00:21

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by LOrDo »

Yeah. So you people bitching, have you even played CA? x_x
0 x

User avatar
Licho
Zero-K Developer
Posts: 3803
Joined: 19 May 2006, 19:13

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Licho »

Btw those stats dont work properly, especially for CA.
They dont even register all games played and CA isnt considered one mod and if it doesnt hit certain number of games it isnt displayed at all..
0 x

Tobi
Spring Developer
Posts: 4598
Joined: 01 Jun 2005, 11:36

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Tobi »

The stats work fine they just don't show what everyone thinks they show. :P

The stats are an accumulation of periodic samples of the battlelist (in-game battles with more then 1 player only IIRC), not the total number of games played or anything like that :-)

(period 20 minutes IIRC)
0 x

User avatar
Licho
Zero-K Developer
Posts: 3803
Joined: 19 May 2006, 19:13

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Licho »

How does it tell one game from another? I mean most CA games are played on springie - same host same topic, does it count as 1 game? Or does it add +1 every 20 minutes?
0 x

User avatar
quantum
Posts: 590
Joined: 19 Sep 2006, 22:48

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by quantum »

Tobi wrote:The stats work fine they just don't show what everyone thinks they show. :P
Explain what they mean in the stats page then :P At the moment, they are exceedingly misleading.
0 x

Tobi
Spring Developer
Posts: 4598
Joined: 01 Jun 2005, 11:36

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Tobi »

Licho wrote:How does it tell one game from another? I mean most CA games are played on springie - same host same topic, does it count as 1 game? Or does it add +1 every 20 minutes?
IIRC from the single time I looked at the code it does +1 every 20 minutes. So a 60 minute game counts as +3, and a 10 minute game has only 50% chance of being counted at all.
quantum wrote:Explain what they mean in the stats page then :P At the moment, they are exceedingly misleading.
I don't think I can edit it, never seen the place were the text is defined at least. But I agree, removing the numbers would be a good idea I guess. (an explanation of the current method just confuses most people I think :-))
0 x

User avatar
lurker
Posts: 3842
Joined: 08 Jan 2007, 06:13

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by lurker »

It still splits up CA into each revision.
0 x

Tobi
Spring Developer
Posts: 4598
Joined: 01 Jun 2005, 11:36

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Tobi »

There's no way that can be prevented currently.

(Except with weird custom hacks like not using the mod's name but using only the part before the first/last whitespace or something. Remember that the lobby protocol knows nothing at this moment of the mod name/version separation etc.)
0 x

Saktoth
Zero-K Developer
Posts: 2665
Joined: 28 Nov 2006, 13:22

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Saktoth »

Scratch wrote:I like BA and just like I thought, if I want to play against the more challenging players I guess it's CA then... ..I don't even know half the people that play BA I guess they're noobs or something.
Wait, are you saying that all the good players play CA and only the noobs are left playing BA? And that you cant find a challenging game because of this?

Wonderful. :)
I mean. Oh well. So sorry for your loss. Play some CA.

I dont play BA anymore because CA is my job (Prettymuch). But i admit, when i go back to it, it seems much slower than CA and i find that kinda frustrating.

I hope Fibre/Evo/whatever becomes insanely popular and splits the community some more.
0 x

User avatar
Gota
Posts: 7151
Joined: 11 Jan 2008, 16:55

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Gota »

Playing 1v1 on CC i didnt feel CA was faster than BA.
0 x

User avatar
LOrDo
Posts: 1154
Joined: 27 Feb 2006, 00:21

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by LOrDo »

Thats because CA is less focused on flashspaemGG and more on variety of units.
0 x

User avatar
Gota
Posts: 7151
Joined: 11 Jan 2008, 16:55

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Gota »

Heh.
On CC CA is Flash/Gator spam.
Noob ;).
0 x

Scratch
Posts: 191
Joined: 08 Aug 2006, 11:25

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Scratch »

Saktoth wrote:
Scratch wrote:I like BA and just like I thought, if I want to play against the more challenging players I guess it's CA then... ..I don't even know half the people that play BA I guess they're noobs or something.
Wait, are you saying that all the good players play CA and only the noobs are left playing BA? And that you cant find a challenging game because of this?

Wonderful. :)
I mean. Oh well. So sorry for your loss. Play some CA.

I dont play BA anymore because CA is my job (Prettymuch). But i admit, when i go back to it, it seems much slower than CA and i find that kinda frustrating.

I hope Fibre/Evo/whatever becomes insanely popular and splits the community some more.
I guess I kinda know all the old timers better because I have such a hard time learning new names, I notice all you guys play is CA, while CA seemed alright, I'd like to play a more varied group of people combined with who I know to get them inducted into the game, make it exciting for everybody. Because the largest percentages of servers is BA, noobs join it to play a game, such has been the case for a long time, however, it is rare that I play anybody I knew since I started on this game because seems they only play CA.

Constricting me to CA restricts me to playing at certain times when these people are on and hosting, and only against a select group of players. Sure this is just me whining but...

and where the fuck has Tired been?

ps. it is obvious why one mod is chosen over the other, there are entirely different stats for each mod, while the units are very similar - whenever anyone comes in from CA to play BA, it seems like they have to remind themselves of what every different unit does again.
0 x

User avatar
Otherside
Posts: 2296
Joined: 21 Feb 2006, 14:09

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Otherside »

i play different in BA to CA cos even tho BA and CA have a near identical unit list

alot look different and have different shooting animations i know wat im playing from the get go just cos of the coms i dont need to remind myself and flash/gator have different models in CA to BA so i can tell they are different

dusnt take much to adjust :} if anything at all also the pace is different and defenses play differently
0 x

User avatar
Complicated
Posts: 369
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 18:51

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Complicated »

Kixxe wrote:Yea, the spring community is TORN APART!

Image

Or maybe it's XTA >_>
Hmm I wonder how many of the BA games were against AI or two newbies going at it for the first time, or maybe, speedmetal games? Hmm... :?
0 x

User avatar
Complicated
Posts: 369
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 18:51

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Complicated »

Gota wrote:Heh.
On CC CA is Flash/Gator spam.
Noob ;).
Actually Kbots are generally being used more than Vehicles so that is highly inaccurate.
0 x

User avatar
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer
Posts: 811
Joined: 05 Feb 2007, 14:24

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Boirunner »

Your masterful understanding of Comet has me in awe.
0 x

User avatar
Complicated
Posts: 369
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 18:51

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Complicated »

OOh I missed that part with CC :P

Although Flash/gator spam is very exagerated. I use a mixture of units, Weasel, Leveler and Slasher and come out with impressive wins from time to time.
My Traditional Battlegroup contains 40% Leveler, 40% Slasher and 20% Weasel.
I use weasels are they are exspendable in raids on enemy bases able to give me an up-to-date bearings on units, structures and so on. Proper use of roles of each units help on this.
My levelers have a roll-through role, basically rolling towards an enemy party of units and quickly disposing them having them aim in a line, then move on to each. Slashers are generally used for anti air and also against spammable llt.

In a raid against an hlt, Out of 4 levelers, 4 slashers and 2 weasels, all I'll lose is the weasels due to mistargetting of the hlt.

I see more Stumpy and Raider spam than flash or gator spam. Simple because flash/gator spam is easily countered.

But to back my previous statement I've seen quite a few uses of kbots. Kbots are great Microing units, as they are far more manuverable and able to change direction instead of looping around like vehicles or stand still turn.
0 x

User avatar
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer
Posts: 811
Joined: 05 Feb 2007, 14:24

Re: Thanks to CA

Post by Boirunner »

Wouldn't you say the unit mix is kind of dependent on the map, phase of game, and what your opponent is building?
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”