In XTA Commanders are the focal point.
Commanders should nearly always be on the front line.
Repairing units in lines is key to battles.
Have your Commander behind your unit lines to repair/give LoS/radar.
Only Morph if you have the Metal and Energy to do so.
It is best to get as many Metal Extractors prior to Morph to build up Metal.
Morphing requires 0.01 experience for level one so cannot be done immidiatly.
Only Morph if you have enough time away from Enemy as your Commander will be paralysed:
- Level 1 - 30 seconds
- Level 2 - 120 seconds
- Level 3 - 30 seconds
- Level 4 - 120 seconds
If your Commander comes under attack while Morphing do not be afraid to hit "Stop" (You will get half the resources spent back).
If your Commander is Morphed, try look for alternatives to Comm Bomb, yours is worth more than theirs.
First level of Morph gives:
- +3 metal, +75 Energy (starts at +2 and +50)
- 2,000 metal + Energy storage (starts at 1,000)
- Build speed increases by 25, gets full Tech one radar as well as increased LoS
- Range increases by 20, more powerful primary laser and +250 extra health
- When cloaked and moving Commander uses only 700 energy, not 1000
- Level Two requires 0.25 experience and gives improvement on level 1
- Level Three requires 0.10 experience (will go to 0.09 if excess after Level Two)
- Level Three gives improvement on Level Two as well as self repair option
- Level Four requires 0.25 experience and gives improvement on Level Three
Commander versus Tech 1
If you are alone it is best to run.
You can stand your ground, if so make Dragons Teeth.
Against rocket units make Dragons Teeth and a Light Laser Tower.
Against missile units make two rows and a Light Laser Tower, repair if damaged.
Against artillery approach and try to D-Gun or try run behind a hill.
Against Infantry/Assault Tanks/Scouts D-Gun.
If you have units with you, repair them.
Commander versus Air
If Bombers/Gunships/Fighters attack, click Hold Fire, Stop and Cloak.
Try repairing your Anti Air units around you if you can.
Try get back to Anti Air and/or Jammer range.
Against Bombers zig zag your run to dodge bombs.
Against transports, try FPS D-Gun them while walking if Tech 2, ALWAYS move when one is near. Under NO conditions do you try to directly engage air.
Commander at Tech 2
Even at Tech 2, the Commander is vital.
If your Commander is on the front line try keep it in Jammer Range.
Do NOT put it directly in front of units, as the Enemy will shoot your Commander instead of the unit.
Always keep it cloaked when the Enemy is near.
Units to D-Gun if they approach:
Bold units must be approached with care, only reveal yourself once in range and safe.
When attacking ranged units:
- Keep inside your own Jammer Range until in enemies.
- Make sure you do not hit any obstacles.
- Try to distract the Enemy (Scouts etc)
- D-Gun the biggest, hold shift and try D-Gun any others.
- Try not to D-Gun their Jammer, try to get their Radar if possible.
- As soon as you have done, run and get back in Jammer Range.
- Sacrifice your Jammer to save your Commander if you must.
Commander versus Sea
If you see Enemy ships near the coastline Cloak and try D-Gun.
If an Enemy ship fires on your Commander, run and Clock.
When in the water against torpedoes run and try dodge the torpedoes (zig zag).
When against Depth Charge units run when underwater.
Try reclaiming or capturing Scouts when underwater.
Never send your Commander underwater without protection (unless fleeing).
How to Escape
When close to death always Cloak, Hold Fire and run to Jammer coverage.
Make Dragons Teeth to hold off units temporarily.
Do not be afraid to go underwater, good against air.
Hide behind wreckages, especially Lab Wrecks, try not to crush them.
Hide behind Structures, Enemy and ally, be careful of Self Destructing Buildings.
Hills are effective for jamming your radar, keep Cloaked.
Decoy Commanders can be effective in aiding escape.
Try use distractions to save your Commander.
Dragons Teeth Walk
It is possible to fight an army and Commander with your Commander alone.
It is advised you make an Energy Storage early, as well as a small amount of Energy structures.
Take Anti Air Units if possible.
Expand and get Metal Extractors until you reach Enemy.
Make a Light Laser Tower; place Dragons Teeth in front of it, repeat at least once.
Wait till Enemy retreats and make Dragons Teeth diagonally in their direction.
Make another Light Laser after 5th diagonal Tooth and repair.
Repeat as much as possible.
If Enemy Commander approaches run but keep Line of Sight.
If Enemy makes Heavy Laser Tower try get a Light Laser in range before complete.
Reclaim Towers in HLT's range if you cannot reach Heavy Laser Tower.
Use Light Laser Towers and force fire at max range to shoot slightly out or range, (useful for Enemy Light Laser Towers).