Development < Gamedev:Main
This information is meant to help newcomers learn how to develop their own games for the Spring Engine. If you are interested in creating maps for Spring, see Mapdev:Main.
Templates & Examples
- SpringABC - A hierarchical set of empty template games, without examples
- Spring Tutorial Game - A tutorial template game with full examples
- Public Repos - Publicly readable Spring game code repositories
- Armordefs.lua - armor classes
- Icontypes.lua - strategic unit icons
- Modinfo.lua - game identifier file (name, version,...)
- Modrules.lua - Global game variables
- Movedefs.lua - MoveClasses for pathfinding
- Resources.lua - index file for textures
- Sidedata.lua - playable factions/races/sides
- Sounds.lua - index file for sounds
- Messages.lua - Team death messages New in version 95.0:deprecated
- Definition Files
- Gamedev:UnitDefs - define the attributes of units
- Gamedev:WeaponDefs - define the attributes of weapons/projectiles
- Gamedev:FeatureDefs - define the attributes of static map features and wrecks
- CEG Particle effects (explosions etc)
- Lua API & Libraries (excerpt)
- Lua API Documentation
- LUPS - Lua Particle System
- Chili - A GUI Framework
- ChangePiece - Switch piece geometry
- Animation of units
COB Animations (Antiquated)
- Models & Textures
- Gamedev:Archives - packing game/map
- ToolBox - A Collection of Game Development Tools
- Feature Placer - A Map Feature & NPC Unit Placement Tool
- Download_Testing - Test the compatibility of your game on upcoming versions of the Spring engine.
- EngineChangelogForContentDevs - New engine versions sometimes require games to adjust. A list of common problems.
- EngineSource_for_GameDevs - Notes about the engine source, from modding point of view.
Tips, Tricks & Testing
These tricks and commands are useful for testing or debugging.
Game Development Tutorials
- The Complete Guide To Making A Spring Game - A fairly comprehensive getting started tutorial.
- Porting TA content to Spring
Simple Game Tutorial- needs to be updated