Discord My Content

Discord My Content

For the discussion of infrastructure improvements and changes.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
nixtux
TechA Developer
Posts: 100
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 15:36

Discord My Content

Post by nixtux » 26 Jun 2017, 15:25

Hi, can some please explain why my content get uploaded to discord with my permission :(, ie anything I post in #moddev #sy, I don't agree with discord TOS. :evil:
3 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14585
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: Discord My Content

Post by Forboding Angel » 27 Jun 2017, 08:25

So?
0 x

User avatar
nixtux
TechA Developer
Posts: 100
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 15:36

Re: Discord My Content

Post by nixtux » 27 Jun 2017, 12:25

So lets have a quick look at there TOS link here :-https://discordapp.com/terms
YOUR CONTENT
Any data, text, graphics, photographs and their selection and arrangement, and any other materials uploaded to the Service by you is “Your Content.”
By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Content with the Service, you grant to us a perpetual, nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use, host, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, and display Your Content in connection with operating and providing the Service.
So in short they own whatever i say or post, as it uploaded automatically by a bot in those channel without my permission.I have never agreed to any of this and why should i? Its my data i own the right to it not anyone else.
2 x

gajop
Moderator
Posts: 3023
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 20:42

Re: Discord My Content

Post by gajop » 27 Jun 2017, 12:39

Those do look like some draconian licenses, but does one need to ask for your permission in order to re-transmit your messages?
1 x

User avatar
nixtux
TechA Developer
Posts: 100
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 15:36

Re: Discord My Content

Post by nixtux » 27 Jun 2017, 12:49

if not just the re-transmit, they own the right to sell whatever i say or post ie
sublicensable
ergo yeah they do need my permission to make money from me.
1 x

User avatar
nixtux
TechA Developer
Posts: 100
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 15:36

Re: Discord My Content

Post by nixtux » 27 Jun 2017, 13:02

@gajop
but does one need to ask for your permission in order to re-transmit your messages?
that why you have to agree to there TOS in the first place, which is something that does not happen here.

The user need to be made aware of whats happening with his content(data) otherwise its a breach of rights.
0 x

dansan
Server Owner & Developer
Posts: 1191
Joined: 29 May 2010, 23:40

Re: Discord My Content

Post by dansan » 27 Jun 2017, 13:06

gajop wrote:Those do look like some draconian licenses, but does one need to ask for your permission in order to re-transmit your messages?
Not being in those channels I'm not directly affected. I am shocked however and wish to prevent a similar occurrence in a channel I'd use. So I comment here:

When using the springrts chat I do expect its content to stay with those participating. Ofc they may copy and paste it if they wish and have a reason.
But that is a big difference to putting everything I write automatically, silently and without a warning on a web page that gets indexed, analyzed and archived. A warning about that, when entering the channel is the absolute minimum.
3 x

gajop
Moderator
Posts: 3023
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 20:42

Re: Discord My Content

Post by gajop » 27 Jun 2017, 13:13

IANAL.. but
You haven't agreeded to the Discord TOS nor are you posting any content on Discord directly with any service that made clear your data would be used like that.
Therefore Discord doesn't have the legal rights to use your content.

Data is being transmitted by a (ZK-team made) bot, by listening to public information. This doesn't magically give Discord rights to your content as the bot itself didn't have the right to your content.
The question is if such bots need to ask for your permission to retransmit communication. The precedent (all other IRC bots and similar) would suggest that no such permission is necessary.

I assume most people just don't care about these details: it's a public channel, the retransmission is done for convenience and probably the only way they'll use your data is some sort of data mining.
0 x

gajop
Moderator
Posts: 3023
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 20:42

Re: Discord My Content

Post by gajop » 27 Jun 2017, 13:16

Sorry but how is this any different from IRC bots?
0 x

User avatar
nixtux
TechA Developer
Posts: 100
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 15:36

Re: Discord My Content

Post by nixtux » 27 Jun 2017, 13:27

@gajop
Data is being transmitted by a (ZK-team made) bot, by listening to public information. This doesn't magically give Discord rights to your content as the bot itself didn't have the right to your content.
Have you looked into this or is it speculation ? if so a link to clarify would be great thanks!
0 x

gajop
Moderator
Posts: 3023
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 20:42

Re: Discord My Content

Post by gajop » 27 Jun 2017, 13:36

I'm sure about the technical part (it's being transmitted by a ZK-made bot, based on public info, check ZK infra repo if you need details), but I cannot guarantee you the second part as I'm not a lawyer. I'm making the assumption that if someone obtains the content that was given without your permission, then they don't have the right on it.
0 x

User avatar
nixtux
TechA Developer
Posts: 100
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 15:36

Re: Discord My Content

Post by nixtux » 27 Jun 2017, 14:54

@gajop
I'm making the assumption that if someone obtains the content that was given without your permission, then they don't have the right on it.
Assumption is the mother of all fuckups. :wink:

So i could also make the assumption that once they have our data they will do what they want.. we need clarification on this matter imo not assumptions

Also are we protecting the right of minors ?? (we do cater to 13-16 years only) there content is getting uploaded and stored without their permission if they are in these channels?
0 x

gajop
Moderator
Posts: 3023
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 20:42

Re: Discord My Content

Post by gajop » 27 Jun 2017, 15:02

Again:
gajop wrote:Sorry but how is this any different from IRC bots?
nixtux wrote:we need clarification on this
Then I suggest you go get a lawyer and investigate... Also I don't see how this thread is at all related to Spring infra (this forum). It is not our infrastructure that is doing this. Alternatively go make an issue here: https://github.com/ZeroK-RTS/Zero-K-Inf ... ure/issues
nixtux wrote:(we do cater to 13-16 years only)
It's OK to use Spring if you're older :P

I think I'm losing interest in this thread.
0 x

User avatar
nixtux
TechA Developer
Posts: 100
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 15:36

Re: Discord My Content

Post by nixtux » 27 Jun 2017, 15:26

@gajop
Then I suggest you go get a lawyer and investigate... Also I don't see how this thread is at all related to Spring infra (this forum). It is not our infrastructure that is doing this. Alternatively go make an issue here: https://github.com/ZeroK-RTS/Zero-K-Inf ... ure/issues
Lawyer is a bit much first point of call should whoever set the bot up to contact discord and find out (they would have already had a lawyer go though this on initial setup of there service).

Second the bot run on uberserver ergo thats our infra so this topic should be here imo.
0 x

User avatar
nixtux
TechA Developer
Posts: 100
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 15:36

Re: Discord My Content

Post by nixtux » 27 Jun 2017, 16:19

So Discord does own the rights to what we say in #moddev #sy https://github.com/ZeroK-RTS/Zero-K-Inf ... -311368962

Need i say any more......
0 x

sprunk
Posts: 84
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 07:36

Re: Discord My Content

Post by sprunk » 27 Jun 2017, 17:01

It does not "own the rights" to your stuff. It just has an explicit permission to use it. It already had an implicit permission regardless of the bot because stuff you say in a public place is automatically public domain.
0 x

sprunk
Posts: 84
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 07:36

Re: Discord My Content

Post by sprunk » 27 Jun 2017, 19:02

Not only ZK has a discord relay, Spring itself has one as well: viewtopic.php?t=35522
0 x

gajop
Moderator
Posts: 3023
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 20:42

Re: Discord My Content

Post by gajop » 27 Jun 2017, 19:11

The relay is done by Nightwatch afaik.
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22297
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Discord My Content

Post by smoth » 28 Jun 2017, 17:05

sprunk wrote:stuff you say in a public place is automatically public domain.
is that the license of said content?
0 x

abma
Spring Developer
Posts: 3548
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 00:08

Re: Discord My Content

Post by abma » 30 Jun 2017, 00:59

nixtux wrote:Hi, can some please explain why my content get uploaded to discord with my permission :(, ie anything I post in #moddev #sy, I don't agree with discord TOS. :evil:
thanks for this info. i don't agree with discord TOS, too. lets see what ZK guys say to my comments. If they don't help i'm +1 for blocking Nightwatch in this case.

Also with the current terms of use for uberserver i don't see that it is allowed to give the data away to a third party without informing the user before doing this:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sprin ... eement.txt

especially with the incompatible TOS of discord.

on springs infrastructure there is no relay to discord: this is zero-k stuff.
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “Infrastructure Development”

cron