Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

For the discussion of infrastructure improvements and changes.

Moderator: Moderators

abma
Spring Developer
Posts: 3535
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 00:08

Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by abma » 15 May 2015, 11:41

Currently we use Mediawiki 1.19.x which isn't supported any more: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Version_lifecycle

because of this, we must upgrade it which very likely will break the template / layout.

Would it be a big problem, when the current wikis template is reset to "default mediawiki" template? (afaik we had such a discussion already some time ago and if i remember right its ok to reset it to default)

I don't have the time/knowledge to fix/update the template after the upgrade.
0 x

User avatar
jK
Spring Developer
Posts: 2299
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 07:30

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by jK » 15 May 2015, 14:26

abma wrote:I don't have the time/knowledge to fix/update the template after the upgrade.
THEN DON'T DO IT

I am pissed this website regresses more and more just cause people who never contributed to the website mean they have to `upgrade` stuff and then are to lazy to reintergrate the old themes.
0 x

abma
Spring Developer
Posts: 3535
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 00:08

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by abma » 15 May 2015, 14:50

THEN DON'T DO IT
ok, then shutdown the wiki because of security holes? or will someone else update it?
reintergrate the old themes
that wasn't possible because the old theme was incompatible, current theme is a complete new theme (with some stuff "copied" from the old theme)

i've more the impression you don't know what and why it was changed. :-(
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14550
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by Forboding Angel » 15 May 2015, 16:42

jK wrote:
abma wrote:I don't have the time/knowledge to fix/update the template after the upgrade.
THEN DON'T DO IT

I am pissed this website regresses more and more just cause people who never contributed to the website mean they have to `upgrade` stuff and then are to lazy to reintergrate the old themes.
Bishpls. Says the guy who wiped out half a years worth if work in an instant, because he was lazy.

Nothing here has regressed, get over yourself.


I suggest porting the wiki to github.
0 x

User avatar
jK
Spring Developer
Posts: 2299
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 07:30

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by jK » 15 May 2015, 17:08

abma wrote:
THEN DON'T DO IT
ok, then shutdown the wiki because of security holes? or will someone else update it?
1. It was FORB, AF & YOU who wanted to switch to wordpress which is a security hole itself!
2. When longterm support runs out for a version, it means they will stop porting back security bugfixes to it. So did we ever applied just one of those?? NO. SO what changes for us? NOTHING
3. Did we had any problems so far with it? NO
abma wrote:
reintergrate the old themes
that wasn't possible because the old theme was incompatible, current theme is a complete new theme (with some stuff "copied" from the old theme)

i've more the impression you don't know what and why it was changed. :-(
WRONG
It was just said "stuff changed, i am too lazy to fix it".
Forboding Angel wrote:Bishpls. Says the guy who wiped out half a years worth if work in an instant, because he was lazy.
I didn't deleted it cause I was lazy, I deleted it cause you & abma did bullshit on test server.
You could have setup a local website copy on your pc, but no, you used test server for stuff it wasn't meant for. So you had to expect others breaking your work.
Forboding Angel wrote:I suggest porting the wiki to github.
WTF THE WIKI IS ON GITHUB
0 x

abma
Spring Developer
Posts: 3535
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 00:08

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by abma » 15 May 2015, 17:18

jK wrote:2. When longterm support runs out for a version, it means they will stop porting back security bugfixes to it. So did we ever applied just one of those?? NO. SO what changes for us? NOTHING
i installed several updates of phpbb/mediawiki/mantis to close security holes. it should have be done more often, but... yeah, lack of time makes it difficult.
jK wrote:3. Did we had any problems so far with it? NO
no, because updates were installed.


installing security updates is a must!
0 x

User avatar
Anarchid
Posts: 1377
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 04:31

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by Anarchid » 15 May 2015, 17:49

Nothing here has regressed, get over yourself.
Source: User 1184

There's no way to delete a post, so i guess i'll add something constructive. It doesn't seem that the upgrade is *urgent*, so it could take time to happen from what i see.
0 x

abma
Spring Developer
Posts: 3535
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 00:08

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by abma » 15 May 2015, 17:52

There's no way to delete a post
you need permissions to do so!
Anarchid wrote: It doesn't seem that the upgrade is *urgent*, so it could take time to happen from what i see.
in 2 weeks it is urgent...
0 x

User avatar
Anarchid
Posts: 1377
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 04:31

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by Anarchid » 15 May 2015, 18:01

you need permissions to do so!
I need more power.
in 2 weeks it is urgent...
The second-previous relevant security update for mediawiki (1.19.23) was announced on Wed Dec 17 21:23:39 UTC 2014, and pushed to spring-website master on Feb 16th, 2015, no idea when it was deployed; almost exactly two months.

I don't disagree that installing security updates asap is important, but evidently that was not always the case.
0 x

abma
Spring Developer
Posts: 3535
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 00:08

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by abma » 15 May 2015, 18:03

Anarchid wrote:I don't disagree that installing security updates asap is important, but evidently that was not always the case.
yes, thats bad and has to be better in future!
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14550
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by Forboding Angel » 15 May 2015, 18:36

jK wrote:
abma wrote:
THEN DON'T DO IT
ok, then shutdown the wiki because of security holes? or will someone else update it?
1. It was FORB, AF & YOU who wanted to switch to wordpress which is a security hole itself!
2. When longterm support runs out for a version, it means they will stop porting back security bugfixes to it. So did we ever applied just one of those?? NO. SO what changes for us? NOTHING
3. Did we had any problems so far with it? NO
abma wrote:
reintergrate the old themes
that wasn't possible because the old theme was incompatible, current theme is a complete new theme (with some stuff "copied" from the old theme)

i've more the impression you don't know what and why it was changed. :-(
WRONG
It was just said "stuff changed, i am too lazy to fix it".
Forboding Angel wrote:Bishpls. Says the guy who wiped out half a years worth if work in an instant, because he was lazy.
I didn't deleted it cause I was lazy, I deleted it cause you & abma did bullshit on test server.
You could have setup a local website copy on your pc, but no, you used test server for stuff it wasn't meant for. So you had to expect others breaking your work.
Forboding Angel wrote:I suggest porting the wiki to github.
WTF THE WIKI IS ON GITHUB
Wordpress is not a security hole. What a crock of FUD and bullshit. Get the hell on with that shit.

Updating wordpress is simple, and everything that matters is backwards compatible. You're insane. So your #2 is also bullshit.
Wordpress was not going to be used for the wiki, it was mediawiki with a bootstrap skin that was very mobile friendly.
jk wrote:3. Did we had any problems so far with it? NO
So far with what? Mediawiki? Mediawiki is shit, and it always has been shit, just because you're used to it doesn't make it any less shitty.

Reintegrating old theme:
WAS NOT FUCKING POSSIBLE, GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD!

So instead of saying "Hey guys I need to delete this, here is an exported copy of what you had", you instead say "lol fuck these guys *delete*". You may be an excellent coder, but you're bad at webserver admin.

I would have had backups of the db, but abma INSISTED on putting everything in one database, making it impossible, so he is at fault for that. Regardless though, anyone who isn't an idiot would have simply said something before going around deleting shit.

The mediawiki files may be on github, but the wiki is not ported to github. Jesus, talking to you is -_-
Example: https://github.com/EvolutionRTS/Evolution-RTS/wiki

Github wiki is better than mediawiki and it makes sense for the wiki to be using github. Additionally there are tools to port it automagically, so it's not a farfetched proposition.
0 x

User avatar
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer
Posts: 6082
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 01:14

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by FLOZi » 15 May 2015, 18:48

Github wiki is better than mediawiki and it makes sense for the wiki to be using github.
I disagree.


I hope my view carries some weight on this. :regret:
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14550
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by Forboding Angel » 15 May 2015, 19:07

On what grounds do you disagree?

As in, what would be the bad sides of wiki being on github? One of the nice things is that you can locally edit github wiki. It can be forked and merged and all that good stuff.

I would think that that would make your job a hell of a lot easier.
0 x

User avatar
enetheru
Posts: 627
Joined: 11 Jun 2010, 07:32

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by enetheru » 16 May 2015, 03:08

I've played with both wiki's; github wiki is weird, doesn't format things correctly. is unpredictable.
Ive played with lots of wiki's in my time, and mediawiki is by far the best in terms of predictability of editing, features, etc.

Theme's are meh compared to security. not that i have any weight but i support updating and sorting out themes later.
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14550
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by Forboding Angel » 16 May 2015, 04:05

enetheru wrote:I've played with both wiki's; github wiki is weird, doesn't format things correctly. is unpredictable.
I haven't found it to be at all out of the ordinary, and if you look at the evo wiki you can tell that we have done a decent bit with it.

That said, Dokuwiki beats the socks off of any wiki I have used to date. Editing things in doku are a breeze. I also appreciate the fact that it is flat file as well.
0 x

User avatar
Silentwings
Moderator
Posts: 3565
Joined: 25 Oct 2008, 00:23

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by Silentwings » 16 May 2015, 12:16

I'm for mediawiki too, imo a big plus of updating would be syntax highlighting. If there was a way to migrate individual forum posts directly to wiki articles, that would also be fantastic. I don't think we should worry much about security for the wiki, as long as we keep a reliable backup.

I am not so concerned about the change to the forum layout and it being gradually tweaked, but I would be worried about changing the layout of the wiki. So can it be trialled first? I honestly couldn't care less about colour-button-whatever-wrangling and the philosophy of placing avatars, but the wiki is a much used source of technical info and we should care a lot that its stays accessible and cleanly presented.
Anarchid wrote:I need more power.
Yes, iirc you can only delete your own post for as long as it is the most recent post on a particular thread.
0 x

User avatar
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer
Posts: 6082
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 01:14

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by FLOZi » 16 May 2015, 12:58

Silentwings wrote:I'm for mediawiki too, imo a big plus of updating would be syntax highlighting. If there was a way to migrate individual forum posts directly to wiki articles, that would also be fantastic. I don't think we should worry much about security for the wiki, as long as we keep a reliable backup.

I am not so concerned about the change to the forum layout and it being gradually tweaked, but I would be worried about changing the layout of the wiki. So can it be trialled first? I honestly couldn't care less about colour-button-whatever-wrangling and the philosophy of placing avatars, but the wiki is a much used source of technical info and we should care a lot that its stays accessible and cleanly presented.
Anarchid wrote:I need more power.
Yes, iirc you can only delete your own post for as long as it is the most recent post on a particular thread.
Agree with this in its entirety. Well said Silentwings.
0 x

gajop
Moderator
Posts: 3015
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 20:42

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by gajop » 16 May 2015, 13:49

Regarding the wiki, this is all still valid: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=31760&p=562569
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14550
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by Forboding Angel » 16 May 2015, 22:59

Honestly my main beef with mediawiki is the idiotic way it handles files/uploads. The editor is pretty gawdawful too. But whatever works.
0 x

User avatar
Silentwings
Moderator
Posts: 3565
Joined: 25 Oct 2008, 00:23

Re: Updating Mediawiki / Using default mediawiki template

Post by Silentwings » 17 May 2015, 08:57

I find the wiki a bit odd in that respect too - imo this is the main obstacle that means forum posts are still better documentation as for some things.
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “Infrastructure Development”