Decline in BA players

Decline in BA players

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderators: Content Developer, Content Developer

Locked
User avatar
Cheesecan
Posts: 1571
Joined: 07 Feb 2005, 21:30

Decline in BA players

Post by Cheesecan »

This post is addressed to the moderators who lock these threads.

You shouldn't lock these threads, it's a valid topic. Not sure if you have been on lately but there are definitely fewer players than last year playing BA. The fact that people are posting a lot about it supports this. Why rob people of an opportunity to discuss it?

I don't see the point in that, please provide a valid reason other than that people are reporting others. If you factor in the sensitivity of the issue which induces rage in some individuals(you know who you are), and the number of posters in these threads, reporting is not above the usual.

Aside from that we have no valid thread to go to. Either sticky a thread and direct everyone to there, or stop locking threads.
0 x

User avatar
bibim
Lobby Developer
Posts: 901
Joined: 06 Dec 2007, 11:12

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by bibim »

Cheesecan wrote: You shouldn't lock these threads, it's a valid topic. Not sure if you have been on lately but there are definitely fewer players than last year playing BA.
I don't think anyone is contesting this. It's a fact, BA popularity has decreased by about half during 2011:
Image
0 x

User avatar
Cheesecan
Posts: 1571
Joined: 07 Feb 2005, 21:30

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Cheesecan »

bibim wrote:
Cheesecan wrote: You shouldn't lock these threads, it's a valid topic. Not sure if you have been on lately but there are definitely fewer players than last year playing BA.
I don't think anyone is contesting this. It's a fact, BA popularity has decreased by about half during 2011:
Image
luckywaldo7 wrote:"Spring is dead" is mtr, and is disproved with Bibim stats.
http://planetspads.free.fr/spring/stats ... _104_5.png
I am the ultimate trend predictor, I win http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25957 in retrospect! In your face biatches.



:roll:
0 x

User avatar
Beherith
Moderator
Posts: 4934
Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 16:21

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Beherith »

Because discussing does nothing to reverse the trend. Actions are what is needed, not forum banter.
0 x

User avatar
Cheesecan
Posts: 1571
Joined: 07 Feb 2005, 21:30

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Cheesecan »

And how do we come to a conclusion about what is the proper course of action? Discussion of course!

It has been proven that the decision reached by a group of idiots is better than the decision of just one of those idiots.

Hence it makes sense to discuss possible remedies to reverse the trend.
0 x

User avatar
Beherith
Moderator
Posts: 4934
Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 16:21

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Beherith »

The discussion happened in at least 10 different threads. I suggest you go on reading.
0 x

User avatar
Cheesecan
Posts: 1571
Joined: 07 Feb 2005, 21:30

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Cheesecan »

And why can't it be an ongoing discussion? Maybe this is a conspiracy in which mods have conspired to make BA go away quietly.
0 x

User avatar
bibim
Lobby Developer
Posts: 901
Joined: 06 Dec 2007, 11:12

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by bibim »

Cheesecan wrote:
luckywaldo7 wrote:"Spring is dead" is mtr, and is disproved with Bibim stats.
http://planetspads.free.fr/spring/stats ... _104_5.png
I am the ultimate trend predictor, I win http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25957 in retrospect! In your face biatches.



:roll:
Well not really actually, the thread you linked (and the graph) are about total number of players, which has indeed decreased lately, but far less than BA alone.
0 x

User avatar
Cheesecan
Posts: 1571
Joined: 07 Feb 2005, 21:30

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Cheesecan »

Having your own thread explained to you.
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by smoth »

Beherith wrote:Because discussing does nothing to reverse the trend. Actions are what is needed, not forum banter.
ALSO LOL TOLD YOU STALE GAMEPLAY WAS BAD
0 x

User avatar
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper
Posts: 10252
Joined: 24 Jan 2006, 21:12

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by PicassoCT »

smoth wrote:
Beherith wrote:Because discussing does nothing to reverse the trend. Actions are what is needed, not forum banter.
ALSO LOL TOLD YOU STALE GAMEPLAY WAS BAD
telling me im not needed. Oh, the insult. This calls for a vendeta.. which in turn calls for a travell into behes lands, and a visit to various pubs.
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by smoth »

Oh I fully expect the ba community to be a cancer that kills spring.

Subject: BA model replacements
Cheesecan wrote:The anticipation is the best part - seeing your fps half is the worst.
thanks for proving my point how did you say it.. "in your face?"


They have in the past and will continue to be. BA IS DIEING DO EVERYTHING TO KEEP IT ON LIFE SUPPORT.. I feel like I am watching the shaivo ordeal.

Ba is dieing because it gets old but the ba community like 20 of them constantly fight any change to improve it. Well this is the enevitable end result. Of course rather than supporting ZK they are going to insist that things be skewed to keep ba alive.

It would stay alive if you would do surgery on it but you guys like it diseased and rotting. Last time someone tried to pluck off the scabs and heal the lesions you guys raged...

well guess what, it is dying and the ba community or at least the vocal stick in the muds are killing it. So either really try and help(LOL NOT HAPPENING you guys have the fortitude of stephen hawking) or go play ZK.

this post is terse and will be taken for the absolute worst... but honestly, I would rather go to work an extra 30 minutes than write a nice well composed post for people who have been a constant irritant(the ba community). I am glad you want to be a positive influence but the only way to have done that would have been to put real commitment and time to helping make ba better. and yes that would have costed some fps.
0 x

Satirik
Lobby Developer
Posts: 1688
Joined: 16 Mar 2007, 18:27

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Satirik »

Beherith wrote:Because discussing does nothing to reverse the trend. Actions are what is needed, not forum banter.
by actions, you mean, making the forum boring with retarded rules ? banning usefull players for no reason and let autohosts retarded admin rule the server ?

spring moderators/admin are pussies, but soon spring will be dead as expected

the good thing is we can play starcraft 2... no 8v8, no dsd omg it rules
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by smoth »

Satirik wrote:by actions, you mean, making the forum boring with retarded rules ?
This has to do with ba HOW?
Satirik wrote: banning usefull players for no reason and let autohosts retarded admin rule the server ?
Are we talking about trademark again, who picked up his toys and instead of leaving setup a site just to deride the community and drive people off the moment he felt slighted? GG on that call.
Satirik wrote:spring moderators/admin are pussies, but soon spring will be dead as expected
So wait, first you claim they are too harsh and now you call them pussies? Mixed message much?
Satirik wrote:the good thing is we can play starcraft 2... no 8v8, no dsd omg it rules
Does starcraft 2 have zerg rush map players and a new Sherwood yet? I remember starcraft had it's dsd equivalents and OMG I still hate Sherwood.
0 x

User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20671
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by AF »

Actually, if we look at the graph we see ALL games are dieing ( except Zero-K ).

Instead of 'save spring' it should be 'copy Licho'. He seems to know what he's doing.
0 x

User avatar
knorke
Posts: 7971
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 01:02

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by knorke »

And why can't it be an ongoing discussion?
It is an ongoing discussion. That is the problem.

Maybe a problem with BA is, that is currently crashes when you use the most popular BADSD tactic (combomb).
Maybe a problem with BA is, that relay hosts were not working for some weeks and so most players basically were unable to play at all.
Maybe BA also suffered from the problem that springlobby does not refresh the maplist when you click the button. (=you basically you can not download new content unless somebody tells you to restart)
But nooooooo can't be, the problem is that EA does not want to market BA.
Evil EA!

If this is about BA, why is it not in BA subforum? If you want to discuss moderation that is fine with me too.
Either sticky a thread and direct everyone to there
That seems like a good idea. It could be named "the big useless bawww" thread and work similiar to the random WIP thread.
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by smoth »

knorke wrote:Maybe a problem with BA is, that is currently crashes when you use the most popular BADSD tactic (combomb**).

Maybe a problem with BA is, that relay hosts were not working for some weeks and so most players basically were unable to play at all.

Maybe BA also suffered from the problem that springlobby does not refresh the maplist when you click the button. (=you basically you can not download new content unless somebody tells you to restart)
But nooooooo can't be
wow, glad I don't play ba CHUCKLE

**HA HA HA STRATEGIC BRILLIANCE!
knorke wrote:If this is about BA, why is it not in BA subforum?
Dunno, he posted everywhere else on the forum..

knorke wrote:
Either sticky a thread and direct everyone to there
That seems like a good idea. It could be named "the big useless bawww" thread and work similiar to the random WIP thread.
why not title it knotted panties?
0 x

User avatar
Cheesecan
Posts: 1571
Joined: 07 Feb 2005, 21:30

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Cheesecan »

smoth wrote:Oh I fully expect the ba community to be a cancer that kills spring.

Subject: BA model replacements
Cheesecan wrote:The anticipation is the best part - seeing your fps half is the worst.
thanks for proving my point how did you say it.. "in your face?"


They have in the past and will continue to be. BA IS DIEING DO EVERYTHING TO KEEP IT ON LIFE SUPPORT.. I feel like I am watching the shaivo ordeal.

Ba is dieing because it gets old but the ba community like 20 of them constantly fight any change to improve it. Well this is the enevitable end result. Of course rather than supporting ZK they are going to insist that things be skewed to keep ba alive.

It would stay alive if you would do surgery on it but you guys like it diseased and rotting. Last time someone tried to pluck off the scabs and heal the lesions you guys raged...

well guess what, it is dying and the ba community or at least the vocal stick in the muds are killing it. So either really try and help(LOL NOT HAPPENING you guys have the fortitude of stephen hawking) or go play ZK.

this post is terse and will be taken for the absolute worst... but honestly, I would rather go to work an extra 30 minutes than write a nice well composed post for people who have been a constant irritant(the ba community). I am glad you want to be a positive influence but the only way to have done that would have been to put real commitment and time to helping make ba better. and yes that would have costed some fps.
Taking a tongue-in-cheek comment and raging over it is a bit excessive.

I could say something about jealousy but I will refrain from it.

What's the point of posting if BA's demise is inevitable as you say? You have only to sit back and watch, no need to look dumb making posts like that. Kicking someone while he's down because it's easier to reach. That's not cool.
0 x

User avatar
Neddie
Community Lead
Posts: 9406
Joined: 10 Apr 2006, 05:05

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Neddie »

Satirik wrote:
Beherith wrote:Because discussing does nothing to reverse the trend. Actions are what is needed, not forum banter.
by actions, you mean, making the forum boring with retarded rules ? banning usefull players for no reason and let autohosts retarded admin rule the server ?

spring moderators/admin are pussies, but soon spring will be dead as expected

the good thing is we can play starcraft 2... no 8v8, no dsd omg it rules
Moderator actions alone cannot salvage or destroy Spring. It takes content creators, developers, and players along with moderators to produce community trends.
AF wrote:Actually, if we look at the graph we see ALL games are dieing ( except Zero-K ).

Instead of 'save spring' it should be 'copy Licho'. He seems to know what he's doing.
It would be facetious to attribute the many years of CA and now ZK development and struggle to Licho as you are aware, though his actions have been very important and I, for one, am thankful for them. I remember a number of times where his confidence and interest wavered, but what kept and keeps ZK going is a constant investment of time and energy by the developers wrapped up with rapid releases. This is where S44 stumbles, this is where BA stumbles, despite the large developer groups for each.
0 x

User avatar
Cheesecan
Posts: 1571
Joined: 07 Feb 2005, 21:30

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Cheesecan »

knorke wrote:Maybe a problem with BA is, that is currently crashes when you use the most popular BADSD tactic (combomb).
Simply an erroneous statement, combombing works fine in Spring 84.0/BA 7.62.
knorke wrote:Maybe a problem with BA is, that relay hosts were not working for some weeks and so most players basically were unable to play at all.
There are still many other hosts to choose from. In fact there are almost as many hosts as there are players.
knorke wrote:Maybe BA also suffered from the problem that springlobby does not refresh the maplist when you click the button. (=you basically you can not download new content unless somebody tells you to restart)
Evil EA!
I don't know about SL, but I am working on a new lobby and so are two others that I've noticed(weblobby, notalobby). There was just a large new spring release, and new BA versions. Developers are working hard to improve Spring.
0 x

Locked

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”