who is currently maintaining BA?

who is currently maintaining BA?

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

User avatar
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer
Posts: 1164
Joined: 25 Sep 2006, 13:56

who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by BrainDamage » 24 Nov 2011, 02:28

[f=0017903] [BrainDamage] btw, anyone can contact thefatcontroller?
[f=0018637] [[NC]Antelope] need me to call TFC?
[f=0019113] [BrainDamage] yes, he needs to make a new ba release
[f=0019295] [BrainDamage] there's several things to fix
[f=0019379] [BrainDamage] rather urgently
[f=0019434] [[NC]Antelope] Gimme a sec
[f=0021762] [BrainDamage] can you leave him a message?
[f=0022851] [BrainDamage] Spectators: tell him he needs to make a new BA release
[f=0023284] [BrainDamage] Spectators: he needs to copy the widgets in the example folder into the BA's widgets
[f=0023516] [BrainDamage] Spectators: since they are not enabled by default anymore with the engine
[f=0023774] [BrainDamage] Spectators: and people don't see start boxes, etc
[f=0024205] [BrainDamage] Spectators: and the second fix: he needs to update the the game end gadget from latest spring
[f=0024429] [BrainDamage] Spectators: old doesn't handle resign and other bullshit
[f=0028220] [[NC]Antelope] he just texted me back
[f=0028439] [[NC]Antelope] he says he has moved on to SC2
[f=0028623] [[NC]Antelope] and will no longer be maintaining BAS
[f=0028672] [[NC]Antelope] BA*
[f=0028853] [BrainDamage] and who's maintaining it atm?
0 x

luckywaldo7
Posts: 1397
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 04:36

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by luckywaldo7 » 24 Nov 2011, 02:46

Instead of a single maintainer BA has moved to trac/svn and multiple commiters: http://imolarpg.dyndns.org/trac/balatest/wiki

At least this is the last I know of it.
0 x

User avatar
knorke
Posts: 7971
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 01:02

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by knorke » 24 Nov 2011, 05:06

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26358 and the other sticky threads in games&mods have info about what needs to be updated.
0 x

Senna
Posts: 315
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 00:20

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by Senna » 24 Nov 2011, 05:52

Ive Asked TFC if i can Maintain BA, i have time and I got experience modding right now, but i will NOT release 1 new BA release until he answer me
0 x

User avatar
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer
Posts: 683
Joined: 20 Oct 2009, 13:04

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by jamerlan » 24 Nov 2011, 08:58

Cool! Senna should maintain BA! He has lot's of good ideas what needs to be improved in BA!

Every new zero-k release makes me sad because I see that it evolves much faster then BA

-- [DoR]Saruman / [decay]revenant
0 x

User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20669
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by AF » 24 Nov 2011, 11:10

8 minutes beherith: Added missing default widgets from engine's /examples folder
The beast has been roused
0 x

User avatar
Beherith
Moderator
Posts: 4934
Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 16:21

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by Beherith » 24 Nov 2011, 11:45

Did the requested updates.
0 x

User avatar
Lord Juzza
Posts: 60
Joined: 20 Jan 2009, 11:50

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by Lord Juzza » 24 Nov 2011, 13:03

Senna for new Dev!
0 x

User avatar
sillynanny
Posts: 125
Joined: 20 Jun 2008, 14:26

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by sillynanny » 24 Nov 2011, 13:26

jamerlan wrote: Every new zero-k release makes me sad because I see that it evolves much faster then BA

-- [DoR]Saruman / [decay]revenant
BA is not supposed to evolve.
0 x

User avatar
albator
Posts: 866
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 14:20

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by albator » 24 Nov 2011, 18:34

jamerlan wrote:Cool! Senna should maintain BA! He has lot's of good ideas what needs to be improved in BA!

Every new zero-k release makes me sad because I see that it evolves much faster then BA

-- [DoR]Saruman / [decay]revenant
Maintening BA has nothing to do with "improving" it.

To give you an exemple, the "improving" of the last BA team that decided to "make BA better" results in 90% of the top 20% best BA player to leave BA (for Lol)

And the end, the modifications got reverted, and that was for a reason.
0 x

User avatar
albator
Posts: 866
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 14:20

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by albator » 24 Nov 2011, 18:35

Lord Juzza wrote:Senna for new Dev!
So people get drawn to PA ? :D
0 x

User avatar
very_bad_soldier
Posts: 1371
Joined: 20 Feb 2007, 01:10

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by very_bad_soldier » 24 Nov 2011, 19:00

albator wrote: Maintening BA has nothing to do with "improving" it.

To give you an exemple, the "improving" of the last BA team that decided to "make BA better" results in 90% of the top 20% best BA player to leave BA (for Lol)

And the end, the modifications got reverted, and that was for a reason.
A big part of that reason is that those BA "elite players" (>2000h ingame) refuse to relearn gameplay elements they invested literally years into learning them.
BA will die for sure if it only does what is needed to keep those 20% top players happy while ignoring the other 80%.
0 x

User avatar
albator
Posts: 866
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 14:20

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by albator » 24 Nov 2011, 19:27

very_bad_soldier wrote:
albator wrote: Maintening BA has nothing to do with "improving" it.

To give you an exemple, the "improving" of the last BA team that decided to "make BA better" results in 90% of the top 20% best BA player to leave BA (for Lol)

And the end, the modifications got reverted, and that was for a reason.
A big part of that reason is that those BA "elite players" (>2000h ingame) refuse to relearn gameplay elements they invested literally years into learning them.
BA will die for sure if it only does what is needed to keep those 20% top players happy while ignoring the other 80%.

There is nothing to "relearn" by making all units shit which makes defence OP
Winning game then is about making huge eco before spamming.
Nothing to relearn about. That the reason they left.


It is like if you were asking a PhD to sum 1+1 and since he does want to do it cause that is too boring you blaming him for being incompetent while 7 years old are happy casue they can compete


If leanrning to play need stop using skill and make eco, then yes i dont want to "relearn", any RTS is that already (including BA mutator with 10 Teck level)
BA will die for sure if it only does what is needed to keep those 20% top players happy while ignoring the other 80%.
Totally true: That is exactly waht was doing TFC. There is a difference between making small changes like he was doing, step by step, and total re-balance just cause you have the power to do so and you think you are superior....
0 x

Manmax
Posts: 76
Joined: 19 May 2011, 13:57

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by Manmax » 24 Nov 2011, 19:39

And we need new uniiiiiiiiiiiits!!!

(i mean new models, although a couple of new units would make me happy too)
0 x

User avatar
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer
Posts: 683
Joined: 20 Oct 2009, 13:04

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by jamerlan » 24 Nov 2011, 20:28

sillynanny wrote:BA is not supposed to evolve.
Senna made lot's of interesting changes like 50% cheaper punisher or guardian.
0 x

User avatar
SirArtturi
Posts: 1164
Joined: 23 Jan 2008, 18:29

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by SirArtturi » 24 Nov 2011, 21:11

What BA needs is balance. No new units. It has already tons of useless units...
0 x

Senna
Posts: 315
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 00:20

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by Senna » 24 Nov 2011, 21:16

What BA needs is make Those lots of useless units more usefull by slighty changing them, thats what i was doing with the dsd special remix i did, was trying to make the units that are not very used give them more chances to be used. It will take time to perfect the mod that is not a problem atm.
0 x

User avatar
albator
Posts: 866
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 14:20

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by albator » 24 Nov 2011, 23:10

Senna wrote:What BA needs is make Those lots of useless units more usefull by slighty changing them, thats what i was doing with the dsd special remix i did, was trying to make the units that are not very used give them more chances to be used. It will take time to perfect the mod that is not a problem atm.
Most of the changed you made are totally screw up ffa balance, since those unit are really used a lot in ffa. I am not saying everything is bad, but that you cannot decide to make some many changes at once alone cause just noone can. Once again, too much focus on DSD.

TFC has achieved to damped all enthousiastic balance change since years and make something quite "balance" over the years. Start to make many changes at once and you will ruined all he has done.
0 x

Senna
Posts: 315
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 00:20

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by Senna » 24 Nov 2011, 23:17

Actually BA no need major changes, just balance tweaks.
i was talking about this with people now, and they say to dont make big changes and i will heard it. but i say there is a lot of changes with BA 7.20 and BA 7.60

And i dont want to ruin nothing.
0 x

User avatar
very_bad_soldier
Posts: 1371
Joined: 20 Feb 2007, 01:10

Re: who is currently maintaining BA?

Post by very_bad_soldier » 24 Nov 2011, 23:29

I argue that 75% of the player base is not that keen on balance tweaks as some people here seem to think. You guys forget that 75% (roughly estimated) are casual gamers that just want to have some fun games who dont care if a flash tank costs 120m or 130m if they have their fun.

I am not saying they totally dont care but I guess there are lots of points that would have a higher priority on their list: a proper UI, Save/Load-support, a BA website (including player forum, unit stats, replays), a proper installer etc etc. All that is stuff that a BA maintainer could put work into to take BA to the next level. There is sooo much more to do about BA than just tweaking some balance stats :/
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”