While the program was great all together i found the interface primitive and clumsy i wondered what i could do to get it up to date.
With the help of a friend we managed to grab the src and luckily i didnt run into trouble getting that to work either.
Hence the ui this is what i worked on first, i dont know if that was so minimalistic by design or just missed work.
After a good two weeks of work here i can make a first improved release.
The only notable changes are ui improvements for now.
I will try to update and maintain this for a short time atleast.
Changes from last stable release (r321)
- Menu bar was moved to main window.
- Random map is no longer generated at start, this should conserve resources good in the long run.
- New map now can set height and waterlevel, but does not generate a random heightmap.
- Randomize terrain dialog added in menu, so you can randomize the terrain even on an existing map.
- Map properties dialog added that allows setting of height and waterlevels, more setting to come in the future.
- Removed height and waterlevel settings from the brush dialog.
- Wireframe overlay toggle button in the main menubar added (checkbox does not update yet when toggled with keyboard).
- Fps and tris measuring title removed, uses the current map name now instead (havent been able to implement fpsmeter yet).
- Renamed the main file handling functions to reflect a conventional design (save, save as open).
- The editor file handling functions now use a current file that is operated on(no more constantly having to specify what file to save as).
- If opening or making a new file you will asked if you are sure to continue so you cannot accidently lose your work.
- View mode toggles automatically depending on what editing mode is selected(heightmap view sucks, combine with wireframe for better usability).
- View mode selection removed from menu.
- Only controls for the current editing mode is shown now(but the menu does rearrange so it sill takes up too much space).
- Minor error handling improvements.
- Changed the linux startup scripts a bit and made it allocate more memory.
- Completed manual page and included it in the package.
- Includes extra features and textures.
- Included template map folder that can be used for quick map testing and deployment.
- Terrain that is in the back can be seen trough terrain in the front, its irritating at first but you get used to it(not that i want to keep this).
- Heightmap view is too rough, has bad color scheme and is rendered trough relative terrain, it is recommended you use the wireframe mode when editing terrain
Height setting is not properly scaled to ingame, even tough the map looks quite flat in the editor, ingame it is quite steep, so you will have to play with the height setting a bit to get good results. Saving may sometimes generate spikes in the terrain, this seems to be a random small compiler bug, it can usually be fixed easely but reopeing the map and using the smoothing tool maxed out. Editing dialog does not resize itself when editing mode is changed
- Editing dialog shows up globally on the system even when minimized, you can resize it so it takes up less space.
- Camera mode is not restrained properly and allows it to go ludacris places, there is no way to reset the view from my knowledge.
Camera free move may be grabbing your mouse input permanently if another program pops up while using it, use with caution. Smoothing utility is too weak, you have to max out the slider and use it a bit for it to actually work well when working rough. Cursor does not always paint where it shows on the screen, but again it becomes somewhat intuitive after a while. There is no error message box, so if an error happens or it crashes you only get output on the console
- Saving progress is not displayed visually.
- Texture painting tools are a mess, they work but some modes are a bit off and some minor features dont work properly.
Default texturemap exportation is bitmap, this generates huge files, will be replaced by png. Libraries included have not been updated, it should not pose a problem in itself but its something that ought to be fixed
- Console display to show cli output.
- Coordinate display, to show where your cursor is.
- Importing of brushes.
- Featuremap viewmode.
- Feature import window.
Texture import window.
- Support for undo/redo.
- sdz import and default save support.
- More map properties settable.
- Terrain randomizing in only a area.
Mirroring, flipping and resizing of map areas. Copying of areas
- Ant support for non-eclipse based development.
Given so far i think its realistic to expect this stuff be implemented during the next year, those are more difficult than what i have done so far so it will take more time.
I would appreciate if wiki editor could link the wiki page to this thread rather than frostgens website, since this contains everything but improved.
Source is included ofcourse.
For lack of version control and a better naming scheme this version i simply title 1.3.
Here it is: [url=http://code_man.cybnet.ch/SpringMapEdit.zip]SpringMapEdit.zip[/url]
Size: 43,485,458 bytes, SHA1sum: de1f27055550ffb2e2913a1277689f1f6dc259d5