AMD Radeon. Should I get one?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

xyz

Post by xyz »

Hello,
Yesterday my video card gave up on life. It was an Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT from BGF with a lifetime warranty, but as you can see here the company is on vacation.

Now for my new graphic card I put in a new requirement: It has to be from a well established company (ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte). I would also appreciate if it was a "Silent" model.

So far I found this two:
GIGABYTE PCIE RAD HD6770 SILENT 1024M BOX
GIGA PCIE RAD HD6750 1024M SILENT HDMI BOX

As you can see they are both silent, but they are also both AMD. Now I like AMD as a CPU manufacturer but I know ATI has a lot of issues with the drivers.

My question is: Should I go for it without constantly thinking that those drivers are constantly plotting ways to make my life miserable?
I also want to mention that this card will mainly be used in LINUX.

If you have any other suggestions will appreciate it.

Thanks.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Re: AMD Radeon. Should I get one?

Post by Licho »

No, AMD sux for spring.
jeykey

Post by jeykey »

pls get nvidia you will be far more satisfied on linux with nvidia
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Nvidia 560ti best budget video card going round at the moment. Something like this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... ubcat=1341

Also worth waiting till the 7 series ATI cards are released in a few weeks as the Nvidia cards will drop in price
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i just bought a 560 Ti last night, it's pretty slick... best bang-for-buck ATM i figure nvidia-wise... max ALL of the games (except BF3, which is on ultra with AA somewhat reduced)
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

That depends that if you play other games besides spring. If so, than yes.
xyz

Post by xyz »

Super Mario wrote:That depends that if you play other games besides spring. If so, than yes.
Well looks like flightgear has problems with AMD also.

Thanks everyone, so the conclusion is to avoid AMD for now (drivers still buggy).
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Basically it's always the same - nVidia codes to the standards, while ATI just focuses on hardcore performance and bang-for-your buck... so what happens is that developers focus on the standards and get nVidia support, then have to do a nasty series of hacks to get ATI onboard. If ATI wasn't half the market and thus targeted by developers, their buggy cards would puke all over half the games out there.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”