DOTA 2 ingame screens.

DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators


User avatar
Zydox
Lobby Developer
Posts: 453
Joined: 23 May 2006, 13:54

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by Zydox » 15 Aug 2011, 10:22

Looks interesting
0 x

User avatar
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper
Posts: 10239
Joined: 24 Jan 2006, 21:12

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by PicassoCT » 15 Aug 2011, 10:42

did they say anything on episode 3?
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by smoth » 15 Aug 2011, 14:12

drab and faded, characters will look too similar. I don't like it.
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by smoth » 15 Aug 2011, 14:13

http://portal.aecorp.in/wp-content/uplo ... shot-3.jpg
like this one. it is blurred and drab. Terrible for visuals.
0 x

User avatar
Gota
Posts: 7151
Joined: 11 Jan 2008, 16:55

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by Gota » 15 Aug 2011, 15:01

these are just screens but To me this looks like the cleanest looking MOBA game yet.

When Each character has many colors on itself it break itself into many visually distinct pieces in a stronger way than a character that has, lets say only 1 color to it...
the less colors there are on a champ the easier it will be for the eye to perceive it as a single distinct form.
DOTA2 at least from these screens seems to have a very nice balance between ease of character identification and a charatcer's overall visual appeal.
The background also does not scream at your eyes with a plethora of different colors like in say, LoL.
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by smoth » 15 Aug 2011, 15:41

Lol has a good balance of colors. I know you lik muted paletes and in a fps that works great but when view from a distance you need strong contrast. Your critique of the lol worlds is based entirely on your disdain of highly saturated colors. You say these screens have a nice balance I disagree the visuals are blurred and most of what I am seeing are strongly humanoid. Furthermore by muting the palette they reduce the rang of prospective colors. So reds become drab oranges for fire etc. No I think this is the wrong direction for a game which has a sky eye view of characters.

This has led me to a question do you use high contrast settings or perhaps? Or are your eyes sensitive to brightness?
0 x

User avatar
Pxtl
Posts: 6112
Joined: 23 Oct 2004, 01:43

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by Pxtl » 15 Aug 2011, 18:44

I never thought this kind of game would be a good fit for Valve's artists...

yeah, no surprise it's visually ho-hum.
0 x

User avatar
momfreeek
Posts: 625
Joined: 29 Apr 2008, 16:50

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by momfreeek » 16 Aug 2011, 00:17

smoth wrote:This has led me to a question do you use high contrast settings or perhaps? Or are your eyes sensitive to brightness?
smoth, I worry for you; maybe your eyes are not working properly if you need such bright colors to see things.. perhaps you are going blind? Also I worry that your ego is horribly over inflated that every difference of opinion appears to you as some sort of defect in the other person that you must point out.
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by smoth » 16 Aug 2011, 00:29

reported for baiting momfreak.

I ask this of yan because people do in fact have issues with color perception. Some lack the ability to perceive most of the common ranges of color due to some form of colorblindness. Others believe games/graphics to be too dark, too bright etc due to poorly calibrate or generally poor hardware. It was an earnest question and your attempted at baiting with a thinly veiled personal attack is unappreciated.
0 x

User avatar
Gota
Posts: 7151
Joined: 11 Jan 2008, 16:55

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by Gota » 16 Aug 2011, 00:29

I dont experience pain or discomfort playing lol with my current eyes and contrast settings i just dont like all the many differently colored shapes both on champions and on the map itself.

here:
Image

all the little flowers in different shapes scattered everywhere...torches and statues along the lane borders colored in many different colors,torches burning...Its like an orgasm of colours all over the place...
The DOTA screenies look way cleaner.
They also have flowers and all sorts of other beautification but they dont seem to attract nearly as much attention as the LoL counterparts.
League of legends also has strong contour lines both on champs and on other objects thus making it that much harder to identify one from the other.

the color pallet in DOTA 2 seems to be more appropriately applied but we will have to see how the final product looks.
0 x

User avatar
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper
Posts: 10239
Joined: 24 Jan 2006, 21:12

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by PicassoCT » 16 Aug 2011, 00:41

I find this discriminating of detail-orgams very disturbing. If you prefer the Scyth as ArtDirector- oh, wait, i did once prefered that myself... i have to agree with you, because i have to make consisten opinion.
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by smoth » 16 Aug 2011, 00:50

So it is a matter of aesthetic opinion. I don't agree but I appreciate at least entertaining the discussion.

A really shity shop vs the original. See how the original is mostly green-brown. the water in mine is blue. How the details are blurred due to lack of contrast? that is my issue. (not expecting to win your perspective just trying to highlight what I am on about)
Image
Image
0 x

luckywaldo7
Posts: 1397
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 04:36

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by luckywaldo7 » 16 Aug 2011, 01:06

I rather like the art style but I agree the dull palette is dull.

I think I like smoth's shopped version better than both current DOTA 2 and LoL screens.
0 x

User avatar
momfreeek
Posts: 625
Joined: 29 Apr 2008, 16:50

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by momfreeek » 16 Aug 2011, 01:07

smoth wrote:reported for baiting momfreak.
I wasn't baiting. Is "baiting" the new "trolling"?
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by smoth » 16 Aug 2011, 01:12

baiting is posting a rude or evocative response in order to get a rise. It is a trolling technique.
0 x

User avatar
momfreeek
Posts: 625
Joined: 29 Apr 2008, 16:50

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by momfreeek » 16 Aug 2011, 01:19

I was alluding to the phenomenon where everyone gets accused of being a "troll" just because they post something that someone else doesn't like. Just because it might get a rise out of you doesn't mean thats the intention.
0 x

User avatar
Wombat
Posts: 3379
Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 15:53

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by Wombat » 16 Aug 2011, 01:27

smoth wrote:baiting is posting a rude or evocative response in order to get a rise. It is a trolling technique.
irony much.

i dont like such graph, missing wc3 for more lolz :<
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by smoth » 16 Aug 2011, 01:45

momfreeek wrote:
smoth wrote:This has led me to a question do you use high contrast settings or perhaps? Or are your eyes sensitive to brightness?
smoth, I worry for you; maybe your eyes are not working properly if you need such bright colors to see things.. perhaps you are going blind? Also I worry that your ego is horribly over inflated that every difference of opinion appears to you as some sort of defect in the other person that you must point out.
momfreeek wrote:I was alluding to the phenomenon where everyone gets accused of being a "troll" just because they post something that someone else doesn't like. Just because it might get a rise out of you doesn't mean thats the intention.
that is a pretty personal attack dude.
0 x

User avatar
momfreeek
Posts: 625
Joined: 29 Apr 2008, 16:50

Re: DOTA 2 ingame screens.

Post by momfreeek » 16 Aug 2011, 01:59

the first red bit was irony (the direct alternative to your theory that gota has eye problems)

the second red bit was a direct observation

But you are right, i should probably keep such things to myself and try to reach an understanding rather than rudely pointing these things out.
Last edited by momfreeek on 16 Aug 2011, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”