Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Post Reply
123vtemp
Posts: 215
Joined: 20 Mar 2008, 11:02

Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by 123vtemp »

Word of mouth is how things get started.

Below is some thing I posted in a random msg board. As I though about it, I realized it would be great if every spirng player had a saved bock of text which would basically be a promotion for Spring. If they had it they could easily, and with little effort spread spring as they went about their life. If we could even get an Decent/official post, that everyone could have on hand to post when ever there is a chance, that would be great.

This was my quick attempt to spread the knowledge when I realized it should be done:
Free Outstanding Open source RTS engine and games !

I noticed Greycatmon's avatar Image (a heavy lazer turret from Total Annihilation)

There is an Open source gaming and moding community that has developed out of it[Total Annihilation] know as Spring. ("TA Spring" is ur best bet for searching for it") Any how, it is FREE and It harbors some of the BEST RTS play ever to have existed. The "NOTA" mod I find to be the best strategy game I have played.

You can youtube "TA spring", wikipedia it, and this site can get u started: http://spring.clan-sy.com/

Be warned the site does not have every thing organized perfectly. The best way to get information and help is with the Spring Client (the program which will connect you to Spring games and Chatting Channels)

TA Spring's Main site:http://spring.clan-sy.com/
Wikipedia Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_project

There are some of the sites u would want to know about in order to get Spring Maps, Mods, and Help. The Wikipedia page has some of their links available to you. I would recommend Clicking the Spring-Protal link on the wiki page for help when u run the Spring Client for the first time.

There Is A Star Wars Mod under development that will be huge.
There is a Dark Crusade mod, a Supreme Commander Mod, a WWII Mod, and many more. The best are often Original mods.
There are many TA remake mods
Would I post that again? No. I would do it differently, as it has flaws.
Last edited by 123vtemp on 13 Jun 2008, 06:40, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

User avatar
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead
Posts: 7287
Joined: 12 Aug 2005, 09:29

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by SwiftSpear »

The biggest blocks that prevent people from advertizing is downplaying the weak points of spring without alienating new players. Games on the spring engine are generally fairly hard to pick up if you're not an experienced TA player. The GUI's are bad, there's alot of undocumented holdovers from TA (dgun, self-D, reclaim, build assist, unit sharing)

Back in the day everyone kept saying "The new GUI will fix everything!", and now we have tools so that virtually anyone can make a powerful GUI, but there still isn't a good easy GUI to learn with. Alot of people feel like they're waiting until spring is ready to advertize, because the worst thing you can do is make a bad first impression. The reality is though, with projects like this, there's always something improving. This game has a whole different face from the spring I used to play 3 years ago. At some point we just have to call it, and really push.
0 x

Google_Frog
Moderator
Posts: 2443
Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 09:24

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by Google_Frog »

Are you sure there's a supcomm and dark crusade mod? Wouldn't it be a bit stupid to make remakes of such new games. Also saying this gives the impression that Spring is a way to play worse versions of new games for free. You didn't mention many new games like evo, KP, IW or PURE.

I have to agree with SwiftSpear, I think advertising should wait until these new original mods have been released.
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by smoth »

Google_Frog wrote:I have to agree with SwiftSpear, I think advertising should wait until these new original mods have been released.
because long standing projects don't matter because they are not "origonal" ip.... PFFFFFFFFFT


swift, I am always working diligently.. no need for a big push I give all I can. There are those of us who do work on things. Meltrax works hard as do the devs...
0 x

123vtemp
Posts: 215
Joined: 20 Mar 2008, 11:02

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by 123vtemp »

"dark Crusade", and "supreme commander" were mentioned more so to get the readers attention and give him a concept as to what it possible and related to Spring.

Would I write that again? Probably not. As I said the post was just an attempt to have some thing said about spring instead nothing having been posted.

The Spring community needs to grow. The players are out there. They just need to know about us.
Last edited by 123vtemp on 13 Jun 2008, 06:45, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

123vtemp
Posts: 215
Joined: 20 Mar 2008, 11:02

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by 123vtemp »

IMO spring is not a product we have to finish. It is a moding, and developing community. There are thousands who would be excited to participate in spring as it is right now. The only problem is that they do not know about it.

Two years ago I was playing TA by cave dog with my fellow boarders, and the last thing that I would think u would want to do, is leave people in the dark when they would love to be playing.

There are a lot of people out there who either do not want to pay for new games, haven't the computer to handle them, or would just love to be a part of the Spring community. Letting more people know about spring can only be a good thing.

How u want to release mods so that they do well is another thing. But we should not prevent people from playing BA, MA, EE, PURE, XTA, CA, NOTA, and so on. Spring is an exciting community there is no reason to hid it.
Last edited by 123vtemp on 13 Jun 2008, 06:35, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

User avatar
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead
Posts: 7287
Joined: 12 Aug 2005, 09:29

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by SwiftSpear »

smoth wrote:
Google_Frog wrote:I have to agree with SwiftSpear, I think advertising should wait until these new original mods have been released.
because long standing projects don't matter because they are not "origonal" ip.... PFFFFFFFFFT


swift, I am always working diligently.. no need for a big push I give all I can. There are those of us who do work on things. Meltrax works hard as do the devs...
I meant push in terms of advertizing... I wasn't referring to the amount of work being done at all. I would really like a generally better and more well documented GUI, but I wasn't meaning to imply that we don't have it yet because people aren't working hard enough in general. I think GUI development slowed down, because after LUA made GUI improvements possible, people just sort of decreased GUI work as a priority. That common coder phenomena where something is only important until it's ALMOST done but not quite finished yet. I didn't mean to accuse or blame it on anyone.

What I mean to say, is we need to stop waiting for the next big feature to be finished before we advertise. There will always be something just over the horizon for this project, we should still keep advertising because what we have now is already amazing.
0 x

123vtemp
Posts: 215
Joined: 20 Mar 2008, 11:02

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by 123vtemp »

amen
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by smoth »

123vtemp wrote: Would I write that again? Probably not. As I said that was just an attempt to have some thing instead of nothing.
Something instead of NOTHING! WHAT THE FUCK!

GUNDAM

STARWAR

S44

have existed since BEFORE SPRING. Were ported and now go beyond TA...

NERDRAGE.
0 x

User avatar
Neddie
Community Lead
Posts: 9406
Joined: 10 Apr 2006, 05:05

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by Neddie »

Yeah, maybe when it is ready.
0 x

123vtemp
Posts: 215
Joined: 20 Mar 2008, 11:02

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by 123vtemp »

I meant that the entire post exists because I wanted to say something about springs existence rather than not post anything at all. The mods I mentioned had nothing to do with that statement.
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by smoth »

http://www.moddb.com/games/6372/gundam-rts

That IS advertising. However, you goofy jackasses want us to hurry up and advertise! FUCK! Fact of the matter is the TA stuff is stale and frankly Starwars S44 and gundam are going to open a can of awesome...

now do you want to advertise prior to the cans of awesome being open and ready for consumption or do you want the players to arive hungry with a bunch of hodge-podge content and alpha ish graphics.

We content developers want players but we want to bring them in at the right time. We know that if we drew in players who will see the shitty versions of the projects we may forever lose those players. IT IS IMPORTANT to time the advertising very carefully. IT IS ALSO HUGELY important to NOT HYPE SPRING...

right now there are a hand full of mini-games, 2 mods with a lot of units(evo and EE) and then the very very beta starwars, gundam and s44...

hell pure isn't even out yet we still have not resolved the file hosting debaucle the lobby is ass and OH the site is about to undergo a massive change...

BUT LETS HURRY AN PULL PEOPLE IN FOR 10 year old stale content.
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14616
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by Forboding Angel »

Umm yeah, spring isn't TA Spring, it's Spring RTS.

Spring is not Total Annihilation reincarnated mmmk?
3do's are 3do's are 3do's...

That said, many of us have been advertising, we just don't advertise that fact in particular.
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14616
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by Forboding Angel »

Google_Frog wrote:I have to agree with SwiftSpear, I think advertising should wait until these new original mods have been released.
What the hell are you people talking about when you say crap like this???

Evolution is OUT, it has been OUT, for quite some! It's is very playable, very fun, has all the necessary units and now I'm even adding Fluff extra crap! There is even a weekly multiplayer campaign held in the lobby every saturday!

http://www.evolutionrts.info/wordpress/?p=76

http://www.evolutionrts.info/

Stop posting this bullshit that the Original IP Games aren't released. most of them are, just because we aren't done in our own eyes does not mean that we don't have a complete game! I want a farking gui that doesn't suck (spring default) and fricking ingame music!

What is this crap??? Try PLAYING them as opposed to jsut talking a bunch of crap, maybe all of a sudden you'll realize that they ARE polished, and they ARE great games!

FUCKING NURDRAEG.

EDIT: Christ on a freaking crutch, WHAT ABOUT Expand and Exterminate??? It even has 3 fricking sides! O wai- I forgot, "It's not done"... ORLY?

So what exactly the fuck qualifies in you peoples minds as "Done" concerning spring games? TA content? Don't make me laugh.
0 x

User avatar
Jazcash
Posts: 5302
Joined: 08 Dec 2007, 17:39

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by Jazcash »

Youtube vids and Magazine write in's are the way to go, or maybe we could make a Spring membership that if you pay for you get the privileges of losing all your money. Then use that money for billboards and bus advertisements.
0 x

manored
Posts: 3179
Joined: 15 Nov 2006, 00:37

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by manored »

smoth wrote:http://www.moddb.com/games/6372/gundam-rts

That IS advertising. However, you goofy jackasses want us to hurry up and advertise! FUCK! Fact of the matter is the TA stuff is stale and frankly Starwars S44 and gundam are going to open a can of awesome...
We already have awesomeness in, for example, CA. No need to wait more.
0 x

User avatar
Hoi
Posts: 2912
Joined: 13 May 2008, 16:51

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by Hoi »

JAZCASH wrote:Youtube vids and Magazine write in's are the way to go, or maybe we could make a Spring membership that if you pay for you get the privileges of losing all your money. Then use that money for billboards and bus advertisements.
lol no way what advantages will it give you? +10 dmg? this is not a pay for more mmorpg but an OPEN SOURCE, FREE game, the reason that we have quite some ppl in here is becaus its free, and also good, not good and expensive or free and bad
0 x

User avatar
Neddie
Community Lead
Posts: 9406
Joined: 10 Apr 2006, 05:05

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by Neddie »

Advertising isn't cheap.
0 x

User avatar
Hoi
Posts: 2912
Joined: 13 May 2008, 16:51

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by Hoi »

neddiedrow wrote:Advertising isn't cheap.
what about google adwords and adsense?

http://www.google.com/services/

it works pretty good 8)
0 x

User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20671
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Re: Spring Needs to be Advertised!

Post by AF »

Spring Engine

not TA Spring

not TAS

not SpringRTS

not Evolution Spring

not Spring game engine

not Spring Epic Engine

Spring Engine

Image

We have artwork we have a site we have branding lets stick to it please.
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”