Development < Map, Game, And Unit Development Programs
A Comprehensive list of tools to make Spring content.
- Those that are Open Source are marked with a *
- Those that are Free are marked with a *
- Those that Cost are marked with a *
- Krita** digital painting application, cross platform, with 16bit image support.
- Adobe Photoshop*
-> The most widely used image editing program ever.
-> Basically an expanded version of Paint. Contains many functions such as layers, and is much easier to use then The Gimp.
FREE-> The most used open-source modeller that has its own way of doing things.
- Wings 3D**
FREE-> Probably the most popular modeller for Spring.
-> Easy to learn modelling and UV mapping environments.
-> Excellent introduction to using it can be found here.
-> For help on how to UV map with it just ask around.low poly
- 3DS MAX*
-> The most widely used and acclaimed modelling program ever. Used in creation of many games and movies (The Matrix). One of the three major modelling programs used by professionals.
-> The s3o plugin for 3DS MAX can be found here. NOTE: This is not backwards compatible with versions prior to 7. Also this only exports: broken link fix if possible
-> A popular modelling program that's been around a long time. One of the three major modelling programs used by professionals.
-> Uses a lot of nurbs surfaces.
-> Great for learning as it is 3DS MAX v4 without rendering and has game packs for a fair amount of games. It is locked in exporting however there are a few workarounds.
-> The other most widely used and acclaimed modeling program. Used in creation of many games and movies. One of the three major model programs used by professionals.
3d Model converters/Assemblers
-> Help, information, manual and tips can be found here: Forum
-> This is the only other way to get files into the s30 file format for Spring other then the s30 plugin for 3DS MAX.
- S30 <-> OBJ Converter
Sound/Audio Editors and Recorders
-> Audacity is a free, easy-to-use audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.
-> GoldWave is a commercial digital audio editing software developed by GoldWave Inc for Windows. It was first released to public in April 1993, and is similar to applications like the open source Audacity.
- Sound Forge*
-> The Sound Forge is an digital audio production suite includes everything you need to quickly get from raw audio to finished master. Use this suite to create and edit stereo and multichannel audio files with speed and precision. Efficiently analyze, record and edit audio, digitize and restore old recordings, model acoustic environments, design sound for multimedia, and master replication-ready CDs.
-> Wavesurfer is an audio editor widely used for studies of acoustic phonetics. Wavesurfer provides basic audio editing operations, such as excision, copying, pasting, zero-crossing adjustment, and effects such as fading, normalization, echo, inversion, reversal, replacement with silence, and DC-removal, but, in view of its scientific orientation, does not offer effects of interest to musicians such as flange.
Scripting And Unit Stats files
-> The by far best compiler for your handmade .bos scripts into endless lines of letters and numbers that the TA engine reads. The program is large, easy to operate and with broad error tracing (well, better than the other two alternatives). While other versions of this program sometimes refuse to compile on-off functions, this download is guaranteed to work in every condition.
-> This is a very simple script compiler that converts your newly written .bos files understood by humans into a hexadecimal .cob gibberish used by the TA engine. Beware, however, that this program may fail to compile some perfectly valid scripts and it doesn't always tell where the alleged error lies either. Parts of the program are in French.
-> Rhad's awesome but somewhat buggy animation scripting program. It features keyframed animation script generation from a 3D positioner.
-> A Blender addon that allows Spring lua unitscripts (for assimp models only) to be authored in Blender, with (almost) all the goodies involved therein.
- Spring Poser by knorke A not-yet-so-usefull gadget-widget-unitscript brewage that allows you to "pose" units by moving & rotating their pieces. It can then save the posed position as a list of Move & Turn commands.
- CEG Browser/Spawn by CarRepairer Spawn particle effects from a menu, ie if you want to reuse effects from another game.
- piece tree widget Print an ascii view of a units piece hierachy. Might be usefull to create notes for scripting.
- bos2lua converter page by CarRepairer Converts .bos scripts to .lua scripts.
- ToolBox A game-mutator with some tools for modding. Contains newest version of some of the above scripts plus others.
-> Our very own complete map making solution, created by Frostregen.
- Beherith's mapconv**
-> The latest map compiler, supports all features of maps while still retaining backwards compatibility with previous scripts.
- SMD Creator**
-> Maelstroms SMD creator
- L3DT Large 3D Terrain Generator**
-> Commercial Map Maker, standard version is free, but pro version requires payment but includes all the tools required to make an SD7 Spring map from scratch.
- Coordinate helper widget Need to find lots of coordinates, for example to position units? Log the coordinates into a file just by placing markers, no more pen&paper!
- World Machine Commercial terrain generation software, can output height and diffuse textures.
- Bryce3D Shareware terrain generation software.
- Carrara Shareware 3D software.