Sound partially kills out for no apparent reason

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

CaptainMaim

Post by CaptainMaim »

I've noticed a strange bug, it's not something that repeats in demos... Mostly I just notice it when my Winamp music ceases to play, and all external programs such as Ventrilo also go silent. This as well as most of the SPring sounds also go silent, the only ones I've been able to hear when this happens are: Battle Klaxon, bertha firing, and bertha impacts.

Lastly the only method I've had for fixing the sound is A) restart computer, b) exit out of all Spring software (including Spring server (though I might add I've had this happen to me without the Spring Server. While playing random enemies. It also happened in a LAN game, of 2v1.)

About the only thing I can remember of the second time it happened was I happened to have my camera very near a bertha while it was firing... Though the first time I recall, *I think* there was a row of big bertha firing, I'm not sure though, but I do recall winamp killed out and bertha was all I could hear as well as the other sounds listed. Though that was like back in version .5x.

Anyone else notice this bug?
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

I have white a while ago. Im not sure what I could hear (might have been the sounds you listed, mabey not), but i just remeber most of my army was totally silent. Was quite annoying. I havnt had it happen for quite a while though, so I cant be any more help than that.
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

Yeah, I've had this happen too while I was on Windows Media Pleyer. I'd be playing and then I'd suddenly realize I haven't been actually hearing anything for the last five minutes...
CaptainMaim

Post by CaptainMaim »

Glad it's not just me...
Also the other two people in my game were just fine..
(And though the demo didn't replay properly, because I upgraded between making and play it.) Still the fact remains that it did stop almost all the sound. I had to quit the game, and quit the Java server before Winamp would play again.

What kind of Soundcard do you have? Maybe Spring's got an issue with the particular hardware?

I'm currently using an NVIDIA nForce onboard sound card. But I've also got a dormant C-Media card that I don't use much (I also checked and the sound didn't switch cards either.) Anyone else?
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Im using an integrated C-Media Card. (CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device if anyone really wants to know). I havnt noticed it happening recently, but it didnt happen that often anyway, so I might have just been lucky.

Return to “Help & Bugs”