Spring engine crashes when loading map on fedora 16

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

TangentDelta

Post by TangentDelta »

I'm running fedora 16 on a 32 bit acer netbook, and every time I try to launch a game, spring crashes. Infolog keeps saying that there was some error with segmenting the map, or something like that. The infolog is attached.
Attachments
infolog.txt
(6.01 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Re: Spring engine crashes when loading map on fedora 16

Post by hoijui »

"Segmentation fault (SIGSEGV)" means, some code tries t dereference a pointer that is not set to a valid instance of an object.
it happens in your graphic driver (Intel). turning off shadows (in spring settings file ~/.springrc, set Shadows=-1) is likely to make it work for you, but remember... yoru graphic card will not run spring well!
TangentDelta

Post by TangentDelta »

hoijui wrote:"Segmentation fault (SIGSEGV)" means, some code tries t dereference a pointer that is not set to a valid instance of an object.
it happens in your graphic driver (Intel). turning off shadows (in spring settings file ~/.springrc, set Shadows=-1) is likely to make it work for you, but remember... yoru graphic card will not run spring well!
Yeah, this annoying intel series "graphics card" has caused tons of trouble in the past with other games. I wish they made gaming netbooks :P

Edit: Still crashing with the same exact problem (infolog is identical to the one I posted on here, except the date that it crashed is different, of course)
TangentDelta

Post by TangentDelta »

Wow...I think it's something up with fedora 16...

I just installed fedora on an old laptop, which has much better specs than my netbook, and discovered that it's doing the same exact thing! It was crashing when it was trying to load the ground decals, but by setting the ground decals to 0, it got a bit further, but crashed at the same exact spot as my netbook! Same exact error and everything.

Could someone confirm that spring works fine on a 32 bit intel laptop running fedora 16?
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

TangentDelta wrote:Could someone confirm that spring works fine on a 32 bit intel laptop running fedora 16?
I have laptop with intel HD video card. In general, spring works fine on fedora 16 (85.0, 86.0, 87.0).
I installed spring from fedora repo. In testing currently 87.0

But with intel HD video card I have lots of drawing issues in game. So I think it is just unplayable on intel video.

P.S. I am also have pc with nvidia card and game works fine with this videocard.
TangentDelta

Post by TangentDelta »

jamerlan wrote:
TangentDelta wrote:Could someone confirm that spring works fine on a 32 bit intel laptop running fedora 16?
I have laptop with intel HD video card. In general, spring works fine on fedora 16 (85.0, 86.0, 87.0).
I installed spring from fedora repo. In testing currently 87.0

But with intel HD video card I have lots of drawing issues in game. So I think it is just unplayable on intel video.

P.S. I am also have pc with nvidia card and game works fine with this videocard.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was that stupid intel graphics chip, but it crashes in the same exact manner on my other fedora laptop that has what I believe to be an old nvidia in it (the laptop is ~4 years old). Before I put linux on it, it ran spring just fine, except for a few minor pixel shading issues.
pawlerson

Post by pawlerson »

Maybe it's related to this bug:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44239

I have a crash with Open Source radeon drivers and afaik we're both using mesa which seems to be the culprit here. With Catalyst drivers Spring runs just fine.

Return to “Linux”