Badly needed, Spring Isolated on Ubuntu

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

This is for Desura Linux.

Desura linux is going Open Source client which means Desura is about to become the de-facto game DDP on *Nix.

That said, basically I need a spring for buntu that stays in it's own install dir and doesn't go outside of it. I'm going to use an sd7 for buntu instead of rapid (because of the way spring, linux and rapid work, it's actually less of an irritation to just use an sd7). This means the lobby needs to adhere to it as well.

Can someone help me? I know I am not providing enough details, but just ask whatever questions and I will answer to the best of my ability.

Sidenote: if someone would make me the crappiest lualobby on earth that actually worked I would be eternally grateful
varikonniemi

Re: Badly needed, Spring Isolated on Ubuntu

Post by varikonniemi »

Isn't spring portable what you need?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Portable in spring has a different meaning for some reason. Portable spring on windows will happily go outside of it's install dir, so in order to keep it locked in it's cage you have to throw it in isolation mode.

Also, Windows installs != Linux installs. Entirely different ballgame. There is no "Portable" build of spring for linux at the moment.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

you have to compile it on the system you want to use it. more precicely, it depends on 32bit/64bit and on the version of all the libraries that spring uses, that are installed on the system.
to get it portable, you have to supply some values to cmake.
i build all my linux builds as portable ones, to prevent them of intermixing/falseifing testing results.
i dont have my build script here, but the values you have to set include:
LIBDIR, BINDIR, ...
most have t be set to ".".

as you well know, isolation mode is achieved through setting an env var, and it is changeable at start-time. so what you need is a portable build.

you have to do it yourself.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

hoijui wrote:you have to do it yourself.
You don't, actually: using http://www.stanford.edu/~pgbovine/cde.html and a debian chroot (for sanity/repeatabilty) works nicely afaict
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

From what I understand, portable builds of programs in linux is quite common and generally not a pain. What is spring's excuse?

CDE looks like the ticket, if I could figure out how to use it properly.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Well another issue is that it seems to be quite difficult to get anyone in #sy to respond
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@hoijui:

isn't it possible to static link everything? this should allow to create an executable that runs with very few dependencies.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I've spent basically all day trying to get anyone to respond in #sy
I think I could do it pretty easily, but I don't know the particulars of how spring works on *nix so I'm up against a brick wall until someone decides to help me out a bit.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Hoijui was a MASSIVE help and got me much of the way moved forward. Please see this thread (mods lock this thread pls):

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27228

Return to “Engine”