Make your game ready for the next release! [0.83] [84.0]

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

As the engine is in the pre-release phase now, where we will not change major stuff that would require you to adapt again, and testing should be done now, it would be good to have games to test with.

Please test your game with the latest engine test release and report errors in the Help & Bugs forum or on mantis.
When you did all the necessary changes to your game to make it work on this version of spring, it would be nice to have a release so we can engage in more wide-spread testing. The changes should all be backwards compatible (no guarantee, but also no contrary reports so far). If you do not want to officially release, at least make an archive or rapid tag, to make it publicly available (for example by posting in this thread). testing with multiple players with SVN versions of different games is not feasible.

important changes TODO the above list is most likely incomplete. please PM me if you have something to add.
Last edited by knorke on 07 Mar 2012, 01:34, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: unsticky
knorke

Re: Make your game ready for the next release!

Post by knorke »

playing sounds seems to be more strictly now.
I get messages like
[f=0000238] [Sound] Can't play non-mono "sounds/yea.wav" in 3d.
that I do not get in current version. (I guess fixeable by converting all sounds to mono, must have missed some)

Beside this and an issue with unit scripts Spring Tanks seems to work in 0.83, hooray. (at least in SP)
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

news!

Post by hoijui »

Widget DB
very_bad_soldier replaced all ".n" usages with #, where appropriate, for all widgets on the Widget DB and updated some to newer versions (fetched from games). So they should now be spring 0.83 ready!
He also made a wiki page about the DB, and linked to it on the Lua dev page. here it is:
http://springrts.com/wiki/WidgetDatabaseFAQ
(he also fixed the web interface for certain low tech browsers like Konqueror)

Spring Tanks
knorkes problem with unit scripts seems to have been a configuration glicht, as can be seen in the mantis report, and is now fixed too.
I do not know if this is available as an archive or on rapid already.

Zero-K
The latest version (0.8.8.2) should be spring 0.83 ready (good work KingRaptor), except a problem with game-end, which results in the game never ending. Get it through rapid!
smoth

Post by smoth »

Fixed all the .n crap in grts(oddly I never used it, I always # as per standard lua) you need to ping z most of my .n fixes were his code and I am not home to ping him.

Have not had any sound issues yet but only had time to fix the .n crap

To do: game ends, test stuff, play more dw:g3
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

The widget "Start Point Remover" isn't needed any more, i removed the start point in the engine, the minimap event isn't shown too.

i've also added a widget, that readds that function: https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/m ... marker.lua
smoth

Post by smoth »

hoijui wrote:
  • Spring.SetUnitLineage() and Spring.GetUnitLineage() do not exist anymore ("who's ya daddy?" - "dunnu! :(")
What is the replacement? because this is used with a lot of commander spawn code
hoijui wrote:[*] commanders do not auto-spawn anymore
because the above change breaks game_spawn? or another reason? because I get a comm fine.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

hoijui wrote:commanders do not auto-spawn anymore
that's 82.x already
hoijui wrote:you may only use mono sounds for anything that is played in 3D space. for example unit or explosion sounds, in contrast to ambient music, which is allowed to have more then one channel.
It was like that already, it now just prints a warning message (duno if it is visible by default, or if you need to enable a log subsystem).
smoth

Post by smoth »

pretty much seconding jk here. Unless there is something new. I don't want to chase wild gooses, what is the source of the no comms claim?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

thanks jk, i did not remember that anymore (even though i sure got lots of complaints back then :D).
abma, with the widget you added there... if it is in this location, doesn't that mean it is again used by all games by default, and so nothing really changed?
what would game devs have to do to change the default behavior (whether it is used or unused by default).

the sound log-subsystem is enabled by default anyway, and i saw this message quite a few times already, from people that i am sure would not go enabling log-subsystems manually.
anyway can not hurt to mention it, so people are again more likely to notice and change it.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

abma's new widget is default disabled
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

As of 0.83.x CEG definitions (tdf or lua) can now be loaded from the 'effects/' folder as well as the old 'gamedata/explosions/'.

https://github.com/spring/spring/commit ... 711c5e9b17

This was already possible if you had your own gamedata/explosions.lua or gamedata/explosions_post.lua but it is now supported by the base springcontent.sdz.

No change required, but I felt that following the CA model makes more sense than having them with the unrelated files in 'gamedata/'. :-)
[23:27:13] <[S44]FLOZi> keeps Gamedata/ pure for the 'important control files'
[23:27:53] <[S44]FLOZi> if unitdefs are under units, weapondefs under weapons, featuredefs under features, why are effects under gamedata/explosions
[23:28:30] <snackuser> hm true
[23:28:45] <snackuser> also not all effects are explosions, makes sense
zerver
Spring Developer

Re: Make your game ready for the next release! [0.83]

Post by zerver »

If you want to make your game MT compatible, read this:

http://springrts.com/wiki/Spring_Multithreaded_Lua
knorke

Re: Make your game ready for the next release! [0.83]

Post by knorke »

The "xyz is being attacked" warning was removed from engine. That also means the "commander under attack" sound.
get it back by making some Lua.
Thread: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26963
knorke

Re: Make your game ready for the next release! [0.83] [84.0]

Post by knorke »

Spring seems more strict about resouces.lua/resources_map.lua
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 6&p=506719
(mappers might care)
knorke

Post by knorke »

removal of some Lua *defs such as canDGun and isBuilder:
https://github.com/spring/spring/commit ... f90ee08097
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

---------------from here on changes for > 85.0------
toairweapon tag is deprecated at long last:

https://github.com/spring/spring/commit ... 75a3516358
Last edited by knorke on 31 Jan 2012, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added note > 85.0
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Did someone change the scale of MoveCtrl commands? My jumpers in Cuberor and the fighter in Air Raid move at insane speeds.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

KDR_11k wrote:Did someone change the scale of MoveCtrl commands? My jumpers in Cuberor and the fighter in Air Raid move at insane speeds.

See http://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=2886

Bug in SetRelativeVelocity, fixed in 86.

Return to “Game Development”