View topic - Dev meeting minutes 2011-05-30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 00:19 
Spring Developer

Joined: 31 May 2009, 23:08
Date: 30-5-2011
Present: Tobi, zerver, jK, abma, Kloot

  • release plan
    conclusion: we will soon make a release, even if it contains major bugs to get testers and bug reports
  • merge ... 2a0f0e7bc9 (isolated mode) ?
    conclusion: isolation mode is merged in master
  • merge ?
    conclusion: seedbs pull request was rejected because no change is required (the build-system uses the headers available on the building host)
  • is time for meeting ok ?
    conclusion: meeting time is fine, we try to start exact at 9 pm next time
  • Anything else?
    conclusion: jk made a vote to get a name for his changes: viewtopic.php?t=26141 please vote after reading the description!

________Release plan
<zerver>We have a few weeks to make a release before vacations start I guess
<abma>yes, true...
<zerver>What is the status for pathing issues?
<Kloot><== still waiting for a mantis report with summary
<zerver>okay, from anyone special, or do you want help from just anyone
<zerver>personally, im unaware of the issue
<Kloot>no, I just want to know what the issues are supposed to be
<Kloot>(in more detail)
<zerver>okay, i guess you should ask whomever compained in the first place to provide a report
<Kloot>nobody actually complained afaik, but hoi mentioned there were some in a previous meeting
<jK>performance may be a problem
<Kloot>maybe, it is a bit slower because more corner cases are handled
<zerver>if hoi cant provide a good report, i'd suggest just release and let actual games show where the problem lies
<zerver>so, we wait another week for bug report, and if none comes we release?
<Kloot>if there are no other major outstanding problems left
<zerver>sounds good, ill disable the dynsun and merge MT

________merge ... 2a0f0e7bc9 (isolated mode) ?
<abma>anything against it?
<abma>+1 for making a release...
<abma>there are so many bad tested changes
<zerver>it will probably be a failed release, but that I see no other way to progress :)
<abma>yep, i think so too
<Kloot>this is why releases need to be made at least every 6 months, or the engine gets stuck in development hell
<zerver>devs get lazy too, when there is no action
<zerver>true portable isolation mode looks good to me
<abma>ok, i'll merge it then, as i can't see a reason why not to do it
<jK>isn't that already merged?
<jK>where are the differences to the old if not?
<abma>lol, i don't really know
<zerver>wasn't it the rename to isolation mode?
<zerver>iirc we didn't like the "true isolation" terminology
<abma>ehm, yes
<abma>the branch wasn't renamed
<zerver>i mean "true portable" ofc
<zerver>no complaints, so go ahead and merge

________merge ?
<abma>ehm, jk: you answered to that pull request, but there is no real conclusion
<abma>delete these files, because they are not needed?
<jK>never used the word `delete`
<jK>not even that
<abma>"glxext.h etc. don't need to get updated. They are deprecated and never officially updated, the only things that needs an update from time to time are the GLEW files in mingwlibs."
<jK>I only said that the change isn't needed and explained him how to update GL headers correctly
<abma>so, these files have to keep as is?
<abma>because of headless build
<jK>it is a *no change required*
<abma>ok, then i'll close the pull request...
<abma>thx for the explanation

________is time for meeting ok?
<abma>was by me
<abma>as nearly all are here, i think its ok
<Kloot>time of the meeting is not the cause of lower attendance im
<jK>yeah, monday is okay and much better than sunday was
<jK>currently there are just less topics, perhaps reduce meetings to all 2weeks?
<abma>hm, in general i like the weekly approach, its easier to know when is meeting
<abma>maybe we could try to keep it a bit shorter if possible
<jK>last `meetings` were short
<zerver>a release will change that :P
<abma>hmm, ok shorter meetings not possible
<Tobi>time is fine for me
<zerver>problem is maybe that meetings tend to take 30mins before == Welcome ==
<abma>hm, that could be shortened a bit, yes
<zerver>a waste of time unless you happen to be sitting in front of the computer anyway
<abma>ok, it looks like its ok as it is
<abma>its not perfect, but it seems to work
<zerver>i'd say we try to reduce 30mins to 15 to begin with
<Tobi>we could just actually start at 9 precise
<abma>we can try, yes
<Tobi>I would prefer that too, cause now I'm often already doing something completely different and forgot to even look in the meeting again :)
<zerver>everyone set alarm to 8:55 to have time for the espresso machine
<jK>hehe yeah, that's the cause why answers sometimes take ages
<zerver>* slurp *
<jK>and ppl just wait for somebody to wake up
<abma>yes, true
<abma>so... next "point"?
<abma>next week same time?
<abma>yep, from here, too

________Anything else
<jK>any new ideas for widget/gadgets main categorie?
<Kloot>I liked springlet best
<zerver>yeah, thats nicce
<zerver>ISUMC (incredibly slow user-mode code)
<Tobi>scriptlet +1 from me
<Tobi>springlet is okish too
<jK>scriptlet is more selfexplaining
<jK>but there is already LUS
<abma>hmm... unified script handler?
<abma>hm, springlet sounds nice, but imo it doesn't fit here
<abma>or did i missunderstood?
<abma>its for the handler or for the scripts?
<zerver>for the scripts I think, and the handler
<jK>the handler needs a name for those lua scripts
<jK>the handler is just `handler`
<abma>...widget, gadget, springlet ...fits good?
<abma>thats stuff programmers don't want to answer :D
<jK>and what is with sprocket or just `plugin`
<Kloot>sprocket would be better if the spring logo showed a gear, not a stylized sun
<zerver>sprocket is for bikes :)
<abma>SpringApp :-P
<zerver>or maybe mod, since we abandoned that term in favor of games?
<jK>hmmm mods would be good, but think it is too early to use that term for other things yet
<zerver>yeah, might cause confusion
<jK>i hate name finding >_<
<abma>gadget widget -> wadget :-D
<zerver>hmm... modget actully doesn't sound that bad, only it is very close to midget
<abma>[LCC]jK: in general its a lua-script, like gadgets/widgets?
<jK>it is a categorie
<jK>it will get find usage in handler.dooda (table of all loaded doodas), handler:UpdateDooDaCallIn(), handler:RemoveDooDa() ...
<abma>what will this scripts do?
<jK>they will be either gadgets or widgets
<abma>aaah, ok
<abma>so, springlet fits very well
<abma>hmm, damn
<abma>make a poll?
<jK>yeah should have enough names for a poll now
<zerver>I vote for spridget
<abma>hm, with pool i thought about a poll in the forum
<zerver>ah, i thought a devs only poll
<abma>we have 10 ideas and 5 people who can vote
<zerver>shall I make the poll?
<jK>already making
<jK>list of options
<zerver>some are singular form, other plural
<zerver>that needs to be fixed
<zerver>and put them in alphabetic order
<abma>hm.. plugin is confusing
<abma>should be something individual
<zerver>but this is a vote, so you are overruled
<jK>3 or 5 votes?
<jK>per user
<abma>3 should be enough?
<jK>there are 13 options
<jK>hmm I will set it to 4
<jK>too many things sound similar, so ppl want more things
<jK>+to vote
<abma>i'm afk now
<abma>about the release: what needs to be done?
<abma>doc/releasechecklist.txt ?
<abma>Kloot, [LCC]jK, [RoX]Tobi, zerver: ping :)
<Kloot>if it is going to be an official release, you'll want to do all those steps yes
<Kloot>(official as in deployed on server)
<Kloot>for an "RC" just link to a buildbot installer in a flashy news post
<abma>i asked because of changelog
<abma>i think this should be made for an rc, too?
<Kloot>preferably, but most important for those is to mention the major changes
<Kloot>ie. things most likely to have been broken
<abma>git diff --stat
<abma> 1771 files changed, 276692 insertions(+), 69005 deletions(-)
<Kloot>full-detail log can follow later
<abma>most additions are because of assimp

Last edited by abma on 31 May 2011, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.
 Offline Profile  
PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 01:14 

Joined: 21 Oct 2008, 01:54
one of the links is broken
 Offline Profile  
PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 04:24 
Spring Developer

Joined: 31 May 2009, 23:08
thanks! was because the branch was merged + deleted. i updated the links.
 Offline Profile  
PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 09:07 
User avatar

Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 15:21
Can I go into testing/bug report mode? Or should I hold off until test release?
 Offline Profile  
PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 23:20 
Spring Developer

Joined: 31 May 2009, 23:08

i think its better to wait for the release. but testing is always good as to few people do it with spring/master builds.
 Offline Profile  
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 00:30 
User avatar

Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 15:21
Ok, did a batch of tests anyway, and I apologize for the report spam.
 Offline Profile  
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 00:51 
Spring Developer

Joined: 31 May 2009, 23:08, please always test if you can and reports bugs! imo the devs need always feedback.

as we hopefully get a test-release soon, it would make more sense to take the same time to test the release-candidate as there are currently some branches not merged into the master. (which could lead to new bugs)
 Offline Profile  
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 09:15 
User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2009, 16:29
Location: Finland
I'm impressed with how serious spring community has become, better organised than many small companies. We even have meeting minutes.

Keep up the good work!
 Offline Profile  
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 12:52 
User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 01:02
Location: cheap kitchen
Is there still a way to get (windows binary) test versions of the engine to see if games will work with next release?
Probally on but I am not sure what to download.
 Offline Profile  
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 13:34 
Spring Developer

Joined: 31 May 2009, 23:08
@knorke: and there the newest build, currently ... -g23695d2/
 Offline Profile  
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 15:38 
Content Developer
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46
Is the new game end condition code coming this version?
 Offline Profile  
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 17:25 
Spring Developer

Joined: 31 May 2009, 23:08
@smoth: yes: ... me_end.lua
 Offline Profile  
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 22:54 
Content Developer
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46
f yeah! I presume it will work out of box but we can alter it as needed or do I need to start readying some kind of release?
 Offline Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Site layout created by Roflcopter et al.