BA appearance and animations

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Howdy

I'm a relatively new guy in spring but played ota for a long time and made a few units etc, like many here seem to.

I've been playing mostly XTA, but i also played BA a few times.

I've seen some threads here with people arguing about big changes to BA models and etc. Imo people aren't putting enough importance on kbot animations.

There are two issues that may be relatively simple to fix and can make BA look more appealing.

The first thing i noticed when i started a BA game is how bad the core commander looks (compared to xta or sa), can't you guys ask them to share the model?

Another crappy thing is the kbot walk animations out of sync with kbots movement speed : they seem to slide around instead of walking (xta's kbots also have this problem, to a lesser degree).

Sharing a few critical models, parts and scripts between spring mods and fixing these basic issues could benefit the whole spring community.
Jazcash

Re: BA appearance and animations

Post by Jazcash »

BA isn't going to change its models, animations or any of that malarky. If you want changes like that you could pester Regret with his BA-Reloaded project.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

Jazcash just said "malarky". LOL
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

im quite aware of the meaning.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Explanation: I'm British?
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

innit m8
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Honestly someone should just make a BA spinoff mod that only does visual changes, and updates with BA. I'd do it myself if I knew anything about modding/scripting.

And yes I know about BA:R but I think that's A) too much work and B) will ruin the visual style and by extension its visual similarities to TA. Basically it'll just confuse everything and not really give anyone a reason to play it except the few and far between who are concerned about copyright law.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Do you see how
Hobo Joe wrote:Honestly someone should just make a BA spinoff mod that only does visual changes, and updates with BA. I'd do it myself if I knew anything about modding/scripting.
and

And yes I know about BA:R but I think that's A) too much work and B) will ruin the visual style and by extension its visual similarities to TA. Basically it'll just confuse everything and not really give anyone a reason to play it except the few and far between who are concerned about copyright law.
completely contradict?
Regret

Post by Regret »

Beherith wrote:completely contradict
I think he responded to himself within one post. :regret:
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Beherith wrote:Do you see how
Hobo Joe wrote:Honestly someone should just make a BA spinoff mod that only does visual changes, and updates with BA. I'd do it myself if I knew anything about modding/scripting.
and

completely contradict?

No, BAR plans to change models, sounds, names, and basically everything except gameplay numbers. Basically, it would look different, sound different, it would lose it's visual style and its strong TA base, and would (when[or if] it's finally done) be something completely different than the BA we're used to.

I'm just saying things like adding a few higher poly models that are consistent with the originals. i.e. updated comms, Mr.D's models, etc. Of course that is subjective but if I were in the position to control that I wouldn't change any models unless the replacements were the same design as the originals, just higher quality.

Then things like prettier explosions, possibly new laser effects, etc.

Everyone knows the unit names/looks/sounds, if those were changed it would be a step backwards, imo. But the main reason I don't think BAR will ever get finished(or even get started tbh) is that it's too much work. Hundreds of units, that's hundreds of new models, animations, names, sounds, etc. That's a LOT of work for a pretty small payoff - same gameplay but no reference to familiar units.

I'm mainly bringing this up because whenever I show someone Spring their first reaction is "wow, that's ugly". So it'd be nice to have some prettier models, but I wouldn't want to play this without the great visual style that transfered from TA, as well as things like familiar unit names.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Hobo Joe wrote:No, BAR plans to change models, sounds, names, and basically everything except gameplay numbers.
Hobo Joe wrote:I'm just saying things like adding a few higher poly models that are consistent with the originals. i.e. updated comms, Mr.D's models, etc.
Haha you're amazing.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Meh, I got the impression that BAR didn't put a very high priority on sticking to the OTA style, maybe I was wrong. It's something I've always liked and I wouldn't want to lose it just to be safe from copyright laws.

Speaking of which, why aren't there any WIP versions released? Or is everything just being organized before any attempted release? I think it'd boost the amount of submissions if people could see the progress and/or the result of their work. Hell, I'd be more than willing to pitch in if I could play it and it see if it was going in a direction I liked.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Hobo Joe wrote:Speaking of which, why aren't there any WIP versions released? Or is everything just being organized before any attempted release? I think it'd boost the amount of submissions if people could see the progress and/or the result of their work. Hell, I'd be more than willing to pitch in if I could play it and it see if it was going in a direction I liked.
It's already possible to assemble Arm T1 Veh + T1 buildings out of new models aside from some few units.

Anyone is free to do that, current priority for me is gathering models. If you want to see the direction the art is going you can check out model replacement candidates.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

hobo joe you do know that having OTA sound files and general art type (e.g. arm and core logos) are considered IP of another company, and thus considered illegal, and the only way you can expand BA beyond the inner circle of spring?

by stating you wont help just because some of the units wont look like they used to is nothing compared to being able to advertise the mod outside spring and maybe gain more content makers to remake those lovely models you always wanted. :D
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

good points from OP.

nice to see everyone being encouraging of BA:R....

hobo joe : "the few and far between who are concerned about copyright law." oh, you mean everyone outside of the spring project that refuses to advertise us because we use stolen IP in our most popular mod? right, those guys.

as far as people starting spring and saying "oh this looks dated", if they start with BA:R, then they won't know the difference, capische?

i just think that your points are generally poorly informed. it takes me 45 minutes or less to make a BA:R model. there is literally nothing stopping you from assisting other than your negativity.

anyways, off i go back to work before i start to rage.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”