View topic - Mac OS X Snow Leopard test release



All times are UTC + 1 hour


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 22:15 
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2005, 00:01
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
I am in the process of trying to put together a general release of Spring 0.81.1.3 (i.e. latest version) for Snow Leopard. This is an intel-only release, sorry!
Download here
I have included brief install instructions within the zip file.

Sorry, no lobby client (yet!). But, it should otherwise be fully self-contained (i.e. no other downloads needed to run).

Please test and let me know how it works for you!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 22:19 
Community Lead
User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2006, 04:05
Location: Finland, 1944
Let me just get Snow Leopard on my EEE and I'll do that right afterwards.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 18:39 
AI Coder
User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 10:32
Location: Cookieland
testing on a hackintosh doesnt give useful reliable results, testing on a macbook pro or an iMac with unmodified OS X however...

Ill see what happens on mine, Im somewhat busy though so not sure when I can


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 01:16 

Joined: 29 Aug 2005, 05:59
Runs fine under 10.6.1 on a unibody MBP. Haven't tested multiplayer or anything though.

Definitely needs a more user friendly install process and such, considering as current it's impossible without the terminal. Is there a particular reason that the data folder has to be ~/.spring? If there is, your installer perhaps should make a more accessible alias to that location.

Are there mac compatible lobby clients available? A downloader? Settings dialog?


Awesome work.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 01:26 
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2005, 00:01
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
mjb91 wrote:
Runs fine under 10.6.1 on a unibody MBP. Haven't tested multiplayer or anything though.

Definitely needs a more user friendly install process and such, considering as current it's impossible without the terminal. Is there a particular reason that the data folder has to be ~/.spring? If there is, your installer perhaps should make a more accessible alias to that location.

Are there mac compatible lobby clients available? A downloader? Settings dialog?


Awesome work.


Cool, thanks for the feedback. Yes I agree it needs a more user friendly install process - I'm not yet targeting end users. I wanted to make sure that the actual package itself runs fine - that all the dependencies are properly included, etc.

My ultimate goal, if possible, is just to have a single .dmg that gives you a single .app bundle that you drag'n'drop into your applications folder, and double-click to run a lobby client, and it all just works.

Ideally all support files will go in ~/Library/Application Support/SpringRTS rather than in ~/.spring. However, I'm hoping I can avoid manual copying of maps/mods altogether if they auto-download to the right places through the lobby client.

Speaking of lobby clients, both SpringLobby and QT Lobby have been reported to work on Mac OS X. Some months ago I was personally able to build an earlier version of QT Lobby and run it, but wasn't able to successfully make it work with Spring. Others, however, have reportedly done so (see other Mac OS X threads - e.g. adso's efforts).

Most of all, I hope to finally break the "Mac curse" which is that people pop up from time to time, attempt a Mac port of Spring, get 99% of the way there, and then disappear again with their efforts essentially lost.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 01:38 
Lobby Developer
User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 15:15
Belmakor wrote:
Most of all, I hope to finally break the "Mac curse" which is that people pop up from time to time, attempt a Mac port of Spring, get 99% of the way there, and then disappear again with their efforts essentially lost.
yes please, it's getting really really old constantly helping new people thru most of the stuff that then disappear


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 04:42 
User avatar

Joined: 02 May 2005, 02:56
Location: Canada
Belmakor wrote:
mjb91 wrote:
Runs fine under 10.6.1 on a unibody MBP. Haven't tested multiplayer or anything though.

Definitely needs a more user friendly install process and such, considering as current it's impossible without the terminal. Is there a particular reason that the data folder has to be ~/.spring? If there is, your installer perhaps should make a more accessible alias to that location.

Are there mac compatible lobby clients available? A downloader? Settings dialog?


Awesome work.


Cool, thanks for the feedback. Yes I agree it needs a more user friendly install process - I'm not yet targeting end users. I wanted to make sure that the actual package itself runs fine - that all the dependencies are properly included, etc.

My ultimate goal, if possible, is just to have a single .dmg that gives you a single .app bundle that you drag'n'drop into your applications folder, and double-click to run a lobby client, and it all just works.

Ideally all support files will go in ~/Library/Application Support/SpringRTS rather than in ~/.spring. However, I'm hoping I can avoid manual copying of maps/mods altogether if they auto-download to the right places through the lobby client.

Speaking of lobby clients, both SpringLobby and QT Lobby have been reported to work on Mac OS X. Some months ago I was personally able to build an earlier version of QT Lobby and run it, but wasn't able to successfully make it work with Spring. Others, however, have reportedly done so (see other Mac OS X threads - e.g. adso's efforts).

Most of all, I hope to finally break the "Mac curse" which is that people pop up from time to time, attempt a Mac port of Spring, get 99% of the way there, and then disappear again with their efforts essentially lost.


NOOOOOO mentioning the Spring curses invokes them!!!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 05:09 
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2005, 00:01
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
SinbadEV wrote:
NOOOOOO mentioning the Spring curses invokes them!!!

Look at my forum join date - I've been around for a while so am not likely to suddenly disa


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 13:29 
Spring Developer
User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2007, 08:51
QTLobby is unmaintained (since a few months, 2 or 3) and currently it does not look like anyone is going to maintain it further. It may still run and work ok, but without maintainence.. spring changes too much for this to work fine for prolonged time. short: focus on SpringLobby only.

good luck! :-)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 16:11 

Joined: 03 May 2009, 23:03
i didnt get it to work. when i tried running spring.app it gave me something like "the program can't be opened because it lacks support on this type of mac". i wasnt really sure where to put .spring but i tried both in my users folder and in the root. ill be glad to help though!

im running 1.6.2 on a MBP 2.16 ghz intel core duo mac.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 00:14 
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2005, 00:01
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
jivvz wrote:
i didnt get it to work. when i tried running spring.app it gave me something like "the program can't be opened because it lacks support on this type of mac". i wasnt really sure where to put .spring but i tried both in my users folder and in the root. ill be glad to help though!

im running 1.6.2 on a MBP 2.16 ghz intel core duo mac.


What happens if you run it from the terminal? i.e. open up a terminal and type the following (or equivalent for where you installed Spring to):
Code:
/Applications/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/spring

If it produces any log output in the terminal, can you copy/paste it here?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 00:15 
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2005, 00:01
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
hoijui wrote:
QTLobby is unmaintained (since a few months, 2 or 3) and currently it does not look like anyone is going to maintain it further. It may still run and work ok, but without maintainence.. spring changes too much for this to work fine for prolonged time. short: focus on SpringLobby only.

good luck! :-)

Oh, that's a shame. Last time I looked at QTLobby it ran much nicer on Mac than SpringLobby did. Why was development on it abandoned?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 00:23 
Spring Developer
User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2007, 08:51
there was only one dev really, and he left spring; do not know the details... real life issues, no more interest.. something.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 00:46 
Community Lead
User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2006, 04:05
Location: Finland, 1944
What is QTLobby written in/how difficult is maintenance?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 00:56 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 15:21
With the QT framework (C++). Good IDE, qtlobby has clean, tight, if mildly under commented codebase.
Most features it currently supports are enough for a proper lobby, all it needs is someone to keep it working.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 09:14 

Joined: 10 May 2009, 07:16
Location: Sapporo, Japan
I'm sorry that I couldn't come here recently and made the curse worse. It was too tough for me to finish a mac port. I tested the binary for a few minutes on my iMac and it seemed to work properly.

When I tried to compile spring on Mac, I made a few changes to place some data inside the application bundle and to place "maps" and "mods" in the same directory as the bundle. I also modified CMakeList.txt to make the bundle on mac with cmake. I fixed these changes for the new version and pushed to my "0.81.1.3-mac" branch on github. This might help you a bit.
here is the URL : http://github.com/yokosou/spring/tree/0.81.1.3-mac


Quote:
i didnt get it to work. when i tried running spring.app it gave me something like "the program can't be opened because it lacks support on this type of mac".

Maybe this is because the binary is 64-bit executable and your mac doesn't support it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 09:32 
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2005, 00:01
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
yokosou wrote:
I'm sorry that I couldn't come here recently and made the curse worse. It was too tough for me to finish a mac port. I tested the binary for a few minutes on my iMac and it seemed to work properly.

When I tried to compile spring on Mac, I made a few changes to place some data inside the application bundle and to place "maps" and "mods" in the same directory as the bundle. I also modified CMakeList.txt to make the bundle on mac with cmake. I fixed these changes for the new version and pushed to my "0.81.1.3-mac" branch on github. This might help you a bit.
here is the URL : http://github.com/yokosou/spring/tree/0.81.1.3-mac


Thanks! I'll take a look sometime soon.

yokosou wrote:
Quote:
i didnt get it to work. when i tried running spring.app it gave me something like "the program can't be opened because it lacks support on this type of mac".

Maybe this is because the binary is 64-bit executable and your mac doesn't support it.

Doesn't a core duo have 64-bit support?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 12:57 

Joined: 03 May 2009, 23:03
Belmakor wrote:
What happens if you run it from the terminal? i.e. open up a terminal and type the following (or equivalent for where you installed Spring to):
Code:
/Applications/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/spring

If it produces any log output in the terminal, can you copy/paste it here?


c-d792e255:~ simp$ /Applications/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/spring
-bash: /Applications/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/spring: Bad CPU type in executable

:((


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 13:58 
Spring Developer
User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2007, 08:51
Core Duo is 32bit
Core Duo 2 is 64bit


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 14:39 
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2005, 00:01
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
jivvz wrote:
c-d792e255:~ simp$ /Applications/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/spring
-bash: /Applications/Spring.app/Contents/MacOS/spring: Bad CPU type in executable
:(


Ah, that would be it then. As hoijui pointed out, core duo is 32-bit. Spring was compiled as a 64-bit application.

Once I get a fully working 64-bit build going, I will look at putting out a 32-bit build as well.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Site layout created by Roflcopter et al.