Modeling new formats

Modeling new formats

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

wolas

Modeling new formats

Post by wolas »

I read that that spring in 83 now supports more formats right? So anyone tried anything? I m making feature with blender .dae and it kinda works, but what to do with textures? Anyone have any experience or have to say something interesting? Maybe I should just make them old upspring way?
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: Modeling new formats

Post by KaiserJ »

i haven't tried personally but AFAIK textures should be created the same way (for example, even with the new format, you still need to have everything on one UV etc with the same designations for teamcolor etc across the files)
wolas

Post by wolas »

I m creating feature, so team color is not important here. Manged to create model without upSpring Image

By the way texture 512x512 is called normal or very big or?
And how I can add transparency to texture? Simply making area transparent is not working
Attachments
screen00040.png
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by wolas on 29 Dec 2011, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

nice work; i like the chicken house (delicious!)

for texture size; you want to look at

a) pixel aspect relative to other things... does the house look too detailed? then reduce size... not detailed enough? increase size
b) total amount/size of textures (video cards have only so much VRAM, eventually, you will fill it all if you aren't conscientious about using them

that been said, the house looks great, and 512 is big but not huge (if you're really worried, you could try 256x which is what i use for features; i'm sure it's fine because you have a lot of surface area on the walls and roof)

edit: i'm not sure about transparency, sorry
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

1bit transparency is alpha channel of texture 2
wolas

Post by wolas »

And how spring knows that this is texture2? Just naming my_nice_model2.bmp aint working or I m making wrongly that transparent texture.
wolas

Post by wolas »

Ok I suppose I load two textures here, texture 2 is gif coz it had 1 bit alpha for sure, anyway it dont work nor png nor existing s3o textures. Feature just dont take any transparency.

model = {
tex1 = "bab_1.png", -- same as S3O texture 1
tex2 = "bab_2.gif", -- same as S3O texture 2
}
return model

So any leads?

EDIT ok it loads texture but as soon as I add transparency draw it whole model disapears I suppose it becomes fully trasnparent( because there is hitbox and I can reclaim nothing) maybe it is some gimp specific thing?
Last edited by wolas on 31 Dec 2011, 02:17, edited 1 time in total.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

gif? What on earth? Use the alpha channel of a png.

What's your metafile called?
wolas

Post by wolas »

With metafile is everything ok
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

I wish that transparency was alpha channel of texture 1 instead of 2!!!
Rafal99

Post by Rafal99 »

+1 to CarRepairer

Wolas:
If you want nice detail but dont want too much big textures, it is good idea to reuse the same texture for several similar units / features. For example if you make several similar houses.
wolas

Post by wolas »

OK I still cant make transparent texture, someone post working transparent texture with assimp thanks.

Instead transparency I get some red looks like here (both textures have transparency).

Mine trasnparent texture, maybe there is something wrong with it? With such texture there should be no windows...
Also if I draw randomly with transparency sometimes model disapears and only casts shadows where there is no transparency so what I m doin wrong?

Model itself is called church_plus.dae so this lua script definitly loads textures.

model = {
tex1 = "church_tex.png", -- same as S3O texture 1
tex2 = "church_trans.png", -- same as S3O texture 2
}
return model
Attachments
church_trans.png
(2.8 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Screenshot-1.png
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

CarRepairer wrote:I wish that transparency was alpha channel of texture 1 instead of 2!!!
adjust the shaders, takes less than five minutes

Return to “Art & Modelling”