Journeywar - Page 34

Journeywar

PicassoCT's stunning mixture of game design and psychedelia, for your enjoyment!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Journeywar

Post by PicassoCT »

AF wrote:Nice ( 0.7MB?! )

A Fallback, a temporarylaps.. i had something scanned for my younger brother, and for documents set the jpegs settings to the max...

Also Attention is guaranteed once i cost bandwith, the "THis-Band(w)It(h)-better-delivers" attitude is guaranteed :D

@blackdutchie: Well, i will experiment around a little bit first..
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

One thing I've always wondered about was using the transport code to build the unit in a containment area it cannot escape from then attaching it to an arm that picks the unit up when finished and places it down nearby
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

what happens if you abandone building? decaying corpse glued to arm?
What if enemy drops builder into conyard?
What if stunned..

Sorry, i overdid it.. and everything worked. Im in a way to good mood.No WatIFs.

We can do decaying corpse glued to arm
We can do drops of builder into conyard
We can do stunned...

yawn...
knorke

Post by knorke »

Yes, that would be nice. This "U-shaped factory and unit drives out of it" is getting a bit old.
emmanuel was trying to do that for ships i think. (build ships on land, move to water with crane)

problem with that is, it seems builders/factories can not be transports at the same time. At least they would not magnetize.
Though one could stop the buildprogress at 99% and then move the piece with the built unit attached to whereever. Or movectrl.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Sorry the ToDo List is not that interesting:

[]condepot does not retract on alarm.
[]farcasterlvl2 builds unit which then cant escape the building.
[]balance the allready existing stuff

[]get the mobilemexScript from JK into the Metalldiggester. + TerraformingScriptonTop
[]fclvl2
[]fix the crystallshardgun of the Skinfantry (sound, projectiles going offroad)
[]Animation of the beanstalk
[]Sniper_does_the_I-can-aim-backward-thing-again
[]Gaia_Headcrabs that ressurect Zombies from Wreckage (Megalomania i can see your walkscript errorspamin)
[]get bugHuntington

If all this works.. man its playable.. okay its allready playable noaw.. but then it gets good
afk ...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You need only paralyze the unit so it doesn't flounder about trying to escape when it's finished, then pick it up and plonk it down. There's probably a mechanism via lua gadgets that will fix it.

I wonder if there's a way of stopping the just built unit from wasting resources via the pathfinder when its just been built in that lone frame when it's stuck in the pit?
knorke

Post by knorke »

when it's finished, then pick it up and plonk it down.
but factories can not pick up units. Buildings can indeed pick up units, factories can not. The only way a unit can become attached to a factory is when it is being built. (in b4 zwszg)

Thus the idea to stop at 99% (unit is still attached to factory) and move that piece.
But that is limited too: if you rotate the piece around y-axis, the unit will follow as expected. If you rotate the piece around x/z-axis, the unit will not follow. Spinning makes everything cooler and if it can not spin well :/

This fugly factory can only rotate the helicopter like that because it uses MoveCtrl.SetRotation
Turn (pad, z_axis, a) would not rotate the helicopter.
(not sure if it is only because it is an aircraft but iirc was same with ground units)

:arrow: pro tip :!:
Yet another way would be to not to actually move the unit but just its pieces (or rather just its base piece of course)
Build the unit at the position you later want it to be finished but animate its pieces in a way that it looks like it is being transported there. This way you do not need gadgets.
Actually you kind of have some similiar for the"fall from sky" animation of the citadell. (sorry if spoiler)
[]Gaia_Headcrabs that ressurect Zombies from Wreckage (Megalomania i can see your walkscript errorspamin)
zK has same unit called "puppies" that eat wreackage when stand nearby and thus multiply.
The gadget is called grey_goo or so.
[]farcasterlvl2 builds unit which then cant escape the building.
select unit, press F2: is the yardmap big enough to drive out?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

helpfull advice is helpfull. thx knorke.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Man.. are you guy serious? Talking all day long, about how LUA is awesome incarnated and superior, but when asked for advice point to "It has done before stuff" thats mostly made by daveID COB_A_FIELD?

Ive still got to learn cobol, if i want to use all those nice little inventions of the past, so fuck the whole luashit. Man, those poor foolz falling for all that advertising.

random.dev: You dont have to understand it Picasso, just past it into your mod, and dont modify it, and youll be fine. CargoCultCode for the Morx!
Little bit of honesty should be set to true by default!

SIGH.

Instead of Pointing to some COB Wizzardry, how about linking to a site that explains units morphin, so that a unit standing automorphs into a mex, and retour? Noooo, nooo, we need to impress the noob with the worx of old, this aint about help, this is about codeballox we have to showve into his face.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

as i understand it, all Cob stuff can be translated to Lua quite easily, and Lua supports everything-supported-by-COB and more, it should always work.
I also remember that there are scripts around that auto-convert (by Behe?).
knorke

Post by knorke »

most scripts are still cob because the basically all spring games are older than spring lua.
how about linking to a site that explains units morphin, so that a unit standing automorphs into a mex, and retour?
I would do mobile mexes different. (will try out in a moment and see how it goes*)
Morphing is cool and everything but imo it is often abused for things that could be done different. And then there is the baww if you can not edit the lua to stop the unit from flashing during transform and whatnot.
For example "units that deploy" can be done by just setting the units maxspeed+turnrate to zero.

*edit:
click
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

knorke wrote:most scripts are still cob because the basically all spring games are older than spring lua.
how about linking to a site that explains units morphin, so that a unit standing automorphs into a mex, and retour?
I would do mobile mexes different. (will try out in a moment and see how it goes*)
Morphing is cool and everything but imo it is often abused for things that could be done different. And then there is the baww if you can not edit the lua to stop the unit from flashing during transform and whatnot.
For example "units that deploy" can be done by just setting the units maxspeed+turnrate to zero.

*edit:
click
The irony is, that this is the approach, im working on after trying to "translate" jks script into lua.. i phailed miserably. Lesson learned. If others can do it, thats nice, but in the end there is no copy&paste in coding.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

nod a good day
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

knorke wrote:(in b4 zwszg)
It used to be possible for units to attach buildings, for buildings to attach buildings, for units to attach to themselves (thus self-moving super fast out of map), and all kinds of crazy stuff.

Then some dev though code would be better by adding all kind of checks w.r.t. unit type before executing the attach command, forever disabling all the cool things and locking us to boring TA-style transports.

Then some other dev claimed it didn't matter because "Lua can do everything", (it's easy, all you have to do is reprogram everything in Lua).
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Remember those spiderfactories.. well who but the devs know beta what games we have to make :D

Remember when everything here was base?

But today, everyone is hip and underground..
Attachments
Iremember.jpg
(852.22 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
knorke

Post by knorke »

silicon valley?
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Mainboard of them crunch-chips ;)

I srsly got to get Springpozer to work, im so sick of Upspring to Notepad++ animation...

I dont get it, with those Lua tables. All i want to do is a tableinsert, but instead insert only knows one adress Value, so how to do 2dimensional arrays?

Yelp for Helpz!

Tutorial doesent go very into depth there. Also casting is difficult. If i want a IntValue, i basically have to do.

tempX=x%1
x=x-tempX
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Bah, getting nowwhere currently:

Tryied to implement Knorkes Mex_script. Problem was..it turned into mex every smal stop. So i tried to make it optional with the active-inactive button. Got nowhere.

Feels sad man.

Also worked on the terraformscript:Tables within Tables Actually there are three of them. There is the one depicting the whole terraform3dmodell , then another one where the original landscape is stored (for faster processing and to not bug the engine with constant questions), and a third where the driving circle is stored.

also im sick, and the flue makes it foo to code

i added some instruments to the tigerlily, now she has a harp, a dancedrum(you stomp upon such a thing for sound) and a flute....

inb4 picasso sick, i expected this to turn into a madness overflow into seriousness...
knorke

Post by knorke »

google "lua 2d array" should give lots of results.
for mex see mex thread.
get well soon
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Spring.IsUnitSelected (unitID)

-> nil | boolean

produces this:
[f=0016163] LuaRules::RunCallIn: error = 2, CLuaUnitScript::StopMoving, [string "scripts/sentrynellscript.lua"]:123: attempt to call field 'IsUnitSelected' (a nil value)

attempt to call sound produces this:
[f=0017356] [Sound] Unable to open audio file: sentry/mt/mtnocontact
[f=0017356] [Sound] CSound::GetSoundId: could not find sound: sentry/mt/mtnocontact

guess waves just aint good enough..

finally - after everything comented out, the core doesent work either. Another glorious phail. Sometimes its hard to imagine that beeing beaten into the face wouldnt be funnier than this. Good night.

I suffer, so shall you suffer. Take this bandwith.
Attachments
screen00209.png
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 4 times

Return to “Journeywar”