Frequent crashing - Page 2

Frequent crashing

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

marciolino

Re: Frequent crashing

Post by marciolino »

I keep getting this error (Spring94.1 + MacOSX 10.8.3). I think it occurs randomly and I cant reproduce intentionally.

This is my infolog.
http://pastebin.com/XdSZb7h4
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

Someone found something about this problem? :roll:
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

oops, forgot to respond here.this possible fixes the crash: https://github.com/spring/spring/commit ... a2a90552e9

setting MaxSounds=32 could help to fix this crash... or at least fix " Error: CSoundSource::Play: Unknown Internal Error"
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

Awesome, I will try it and tell if it stop crashing. Thanks
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

Ok I tried this and it does not solve the problem. I keep crashing, sometimes I can play some games... sometimes it crashes and I need to rejoin the battle.

Any other idea that I could try?
nazica

Post by nazica »

I see frequent game crashes too. I'm using MountainLion, Spring 94.1 and LoadingMT=0. Infolog is attached.

One time during spectating a game I had game crash, then I reconnected to the game and had watched the game to the end without any crashes. So issue is a bit weird.

Edit: even if I run game in safe mode (checkbox in web lobby java applet), game crashes after some time.
Attachments
infolog.txt
(3.14 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
purei

Post by purei »

Bob_Sacamono seems to have the same issue that my friend does. We are working on attaching gdb to spring, but the corrupted stack trace in his infolog.txt's are the same errors that my friend's infolog.txt's are crashing at.

The crashes are happening in Zero-K, and within the first few minutes of gameplay.

My friend is running Spring 91.0, and M.Lion. Did Bob's gdb dump help hunt down anything about this OS X bug? Is there any more info I can give?
Bob_Sacamano

Post by Bob_Sacamano »

btw: So far I haven't seen any indication that Spring works for anyone with Lion or Mountain Lion.
nazica

Post by nazica »

I tried to attach gdb at the spring 94.1 as I did it for spring 91.0 a year ago, but application crashes at startup with no useful information

Code: Select all

(gdb) r
Starting program: /Applications/Spring_94.1.app/Contents/MacOS/spring 
Reading symbols for shared libraries .+++....+.++.....+....++++++................................................................................................................................................................. done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
0x00007fff5fc01028 in __dyld__dyld_start ()
(gdb) bt full
#0  0x00007fff5fc01028 in __dyld__dyld_start ()
No symbol table info available.
#1  0x0000000100000000 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Yeah I get random crashes of Mountain Lion with 94.1.

My other computer with snow leopards runs spring fine though.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Our problem is, that we currently have no active dev with access to osx and it seems the generated executable on the buildslave is for some reason broken...

you could try if "spring --safemode" works.
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

I have been playing with safe mode the whole time and it still crashes.

I am more than willing to test dev builds if there are ones that work on mac osx.

PM me if you get a working mac build and need testers.
nazica

Post by nazica »

Same here — run spring in safe mode and get crashes too. If you have a new mac build, then you have one more tester : )
daftalx

Post by daftalx »

Hi,

I couldn't really tell if it's OS version dependent, but currently the engine is built on a (my) SL (10.6) box, and I didn't run into these kind of crashes. This being said, although moving to a more recent OS would be nice, Mavericks is only about to emerge anytime soon and might again raise its share of crashes (if this is OS related, which I still doubt). 10.6 remains a solid milestone with lower overall CPU/RAM usage, which is why I'm not upgrading my (aging) server (yet).

Ideally, we would need to have extra build slaves on buildbot.springrts.com with at least ML ( 10.8 ) (anyone still stuck at beta-looking 10.7 is encouraged to upgrade to 10.8!!). If there are testers around which have a few millicycles to spare on their box, let me know by PM. The requirements aren't much, besides having MacPorts installed with a few ports.

cheers
daft
Bob_Sacamano

Post by Bob_Sacamano »

daftalx wrote:Ideally, we would need to have extra build slaves on buildbot.springrts.com with at least ML ( 10.8 ) (anyone still stuck at beta-looking 10.7 is encouraged to upgrade to 10.8!!). If there are testers around which have a few millicycles to spare on their box, let me know by PM. The requirements aren't much, besides having MacPorts installed with a few ports.
My Mac is not suitable to be a build slave. Anyway, I would love to try compiling Spring on my Mountain Lion. Just to see, if those crashes disappear by doing so.
Is there any information available, how to compile the most recent version of spring on Mac OS / which MacPorts I need, etc... ?
nazica

Post by nazica »

I proposed to use my mac as build slave, but got no response so far.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@nazica:
i'm have few knowledge about osx, would there a benefit of having an additional buildslave? afaik daftalax moved to a different location, this is why the osx was a long time offline, but its back now. setting up an osx buildslave is much work...

for example is a build created on osx 10.6 compatible to 10.8?
Bob_Sacamano

Post by Bob_Sacamano »

To my knowledge (and please correct me) Spring currently does not work with MacOS 10.7 (Lion) or 10.8 (Mountain Lion) as described within this thread. So everyone who got a Mac during the past 2 years or upgraded during that time is affected by these crashes. daftalx himself said it would be a good idea to build on 10.8.

Let's see if a 10.8 build fixes the problems. If not, I agree - there is no point setting up a another buildslave.
Belmakor

Post by Belmakor »

Bob_Sacamano wrote:To my knowledge (and please correct me) Spring currently does not work with MacOS 10.7 (Lion) or 10.8 (Mountain Lion) as described within this thread. So everyone who got a Mac during the past 2 years or upgraded during that time is affected by these crashes. daftalx himself said it would be a good idea to build on 10.8.
I've had a number of successful games (no crashes) using the current version of Spring on 10.8 using the 10.6 build. But then, I've also had it crash a lot. And now I'm running the 10.9 beta (I'm a registered dev). If I had a bit more time I'd figure out the build myself...
knorke

Post by knorke »

Not if related or helpful but user "pnöpel" is routinely playing spring 91.1 (zero-k) and spring 94.0 (xta, ba) on Mac.
OS is this:
OS: Darwin 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
At least in multiplayer it seems to be very stable.
In singleplayer it has problems for some reason:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30647

Return to “Mac OS X”