Reference distribution for the building of Linux on Spring

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

I am working towards getting Spring onto OS X. To do so, requires that I make sure that my development code-base snapshots comes from the most recent build of Spring on Linux; which requires choosing a Linux distribution.

Is there a reference Linux distribution that is primary target of Spring on Linux?

Sharkey
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Re: Reference distribution for the building of Linux on Spring

Post by Auswaschbar »

Sharkey wrote:I am working towards getting Spring onto OS X. To do so, requires that I make sure that my development code-base snapshots comes from the most recent build of Spring on Linux;
svn trunk?

Why do you need linux if you want to develop for mac anyway?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

OS X is a Unix compliant Operating system, thus the closest OS spring distributes for is Linux. To answer the question posed however, i would say Ubuntu seems the one most targeted for Linux support simply because most Linux users here run Ubuntu.
lurker

Post by lurker »

But I'm not aware of any changes made to help support ubuntu; it's mostly an issue of getting the libraries installed and then spring is pretty happy to compile.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

AF wrote:OS X is a Unix compliant Operating system, thus the closest OS spring distributes for is Linux. To answer the question posed however, i would say Ubuntu seems the one most targeted for Linux support simply because most Linux users here run Ubuntu.
He asked about where he should take the most recent spring source from. If he wants to do serious development, he should checkout the svn trunk, which doesn't need linux to run on.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

But if you had paid attention to the Mac OS X spring port google group my reply would have made a lot more sense.

I would suggest that you checkout the branch tagged 0.77b5 possibly?
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

AF wrote:But if you had paid attention to the Mac OS X spring port google group my reply would have made a lot more sense.
The only discussion is about finidng out dependencies of spring. A simple look at the rts/CMakeLists.txt would give the following two lines:
Linux-specific:

Code: Select all

LIST(APPEND spring_libraries ${OPENAL_LIBRARY} ${OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY} ${OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY} ${X11_X11_LIB} ${X11_Xcursor_LIB} ${GLEW_LIBRARIES})
and all-platform:

Code: Select all

LIST(APPEND spring_libraries  ${SDL_LIBRARY} ${Boost_REGEX_LIBRARY} ${Boost_THREAD_LIBRARY} ${VORBISFILE_LIBRARY} ${VORBIS_LIBRARY} ${OGG_LIBRARY} ${FREETYPE_LIBRARIES} ${DEVIL_LIBRARIES} )
This is a complete list of external libraries spring is linked to.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

AF wrote:OS X is a Unix compliant Operating system, thus the closest OS spring distributes for is Linux.
I think the closest OS Spring targets to MacOSX is FreeBSD.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Spring works there well enough now that it's less picky about the fpu state, doesn't it?

Return to “Mac OS X”