IceUI - Page 3

IceUI

Discuss Lua based Spring scripts (LuaUI widgets, mission scripts, gaia scripts, mod-rules scripts, scripted keybindings, etc...)

Moderator: Moderators

LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

IceXuick wrote:thx :-)
QUICK! GRAB ICE AND FORCE HIM TO MAKE MORE MAPS FOR SPRING! :shock:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Prolly a bit of an unseen problem for you... well me atm.

I play at 1600x1200. All these widgets look miniscule and unreadable to me.

Could you make a high screen res version of the widgets?

Here is a screenshot of what I want my build menu to look like:
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/988/screen507pp6.jpg

Here is what the widgets look like in my spring currently, and what lua does to the build menu.
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9223 ... 506eg5.jpg

Help please! :-)

Thanks!
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

I'm currently playing at 1024*768.. But I'm aware that the GUI is to small for higher res..

I will have holidays in about 2 weeks.. Then all of the GUI will evolve faster than you think :D..

The link to your second screenie doesn't seem to work.. But I would really like to see that one.. I only have LCDs so I can't test higher resolutions..

BTW: The first post is really outdated atm.. For the resource bar, just take the one I posted on UF.. That one is newer than the one in this thread.. But I think I'll have some time today or tomorrow to update this thread and post some widgets..
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I do have a version of the totalwar that sues the IceXuick style backgrounds. However I then tried to change the text from yellow with stencil backgound to white and its got an error somewhere and I cant find where and spring doesnt say anything it just doesnt show up in the widget menu....

I suggest you do the ally bars and stuff in a third widget that includes network data and pings and kills etc like in IceXuicks design. Then I'd focus on the minimap.

And remember, all these panels are collapsable and movable, with titlebars. The only panel that shouldnt have the title bars are the resource bar for your own resources.

Also, IceXuicks design had a higher level of transparency.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

mehere101

Post by mehere101 »

... doesn't work for me :?
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

I've been bugging MeltraX incessantly about increasing widget size for larger resolutions. 8) Also, FA I could probably fix your ctrpanel.txt to make some of those changes you desired. Send me a pm on the lobby about it.

Remember that trepan did design a "tweak mode" for adjusting widgets, however widgets need to be written to take advantage of it.
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

@FA: Sorry, but the link just doesn't work for me..

@AF: First, IceXuicks design has a transparency slider.. And that's what I'll make...
Second, I don't like the titlebars and the collapsing.. The resizing and moving will be done in the widget tweak mode.. If I understood it correctly, trepan didn't finish it yet.

I didn't quite understand your first paragraph.. But if a widget doesn't show up in the widget selector, you probably inserted a syntax error..
I suggest you do the ally bars and stuff in a third widget that includes network data and pings and kills etc like in IceXuicks design. Then I'd focus on the minimap.
Isn't that what I'm doing? If you haven't done so, check the second image of my resbar on UF..

(I wrote this post before Matt wrote his.. I just couln't submit it earlier..)

edit: Don't ask me why but the link worked now that I'm at home.. Thx for it.. I think I'll work on my widgets the rest of the day..
Last edited by MelTraX on 29 Jan 2007, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Actually I'd like to be able to collapse and move panels without having to enter a tweak mode. Infact from a User design standpoint, it would be a much much better way of doing it as it doesnt need you to tell the user to do anything, they see they use, hey presto, not they see, they wonder, they complain, they get told, they use......
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

The tweak mode call-ins to widgets are complete.
You can use tweak mode in 0.74b3. What I haven't
released is the completed widget wrapper code to
make it easier to use. "LuaUi/tweakmode.lua" has
enough example code to get you started if you want
to use the raw call-ins.
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

@trepan: I'll look into it.. But I think I will wait for your wrapper. :-)

@AF: I don't like it when I accidentally move stuff around.. But feel free to add it once the widgets are finished.. :-) Maybe as an option initially turned on or something.. Who knows, maybe I'll do it.. But not before the essential stuff..
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

well if u don't want to accidently move stuff around add the ability to lock all windows in place... seems like a sensible solution
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Tweak mode should be the only time that widgets are mobile. I've moved the resource bar enough times by accident to know that movable widgets in game are a problem.
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

For those who don't know, there is a small example of what I intend
tweak mode capable of in the 0.74b3 LuaUI code. First, make sure
that the FPS widget is enabled. Then press Ctrl+F11, and place your
mouse in the lower left hand corner. You'll get a blue highlight box
that you can move around and resize. The resizing doesn't have
proper indicators, but you'll probably be able to figure out how it's
working. Eventually, "blue box" type controllers will be attached to the
graphical widgets, and modify their geometry. I've also added some
extra controls for font size, grid size, etc... (depends on the widget).
IceXuick

Post by IceXuick »

LordMatt wrote:
IceXuick wrote:thx :-)
QUICK! GRAB ICE AND FORCE HIM TO MAKE MORE MAPS FOR SPRING! :shock:
lol !

thx for the pleasing words.

And my applause for everyone that is working on the implementing of a new GUI for spring!! With every next post in this topic i feel more shitty about the fact that i am so busy, that even writing this post, isn't really fitting my schedule. For those who want to know, im still uber-busy with my study and graduating... I am going to start my own design company in the near future. If you like, you can see some of my work on my online Portfolio here: http://www.icexuick.dagdief.nl/portfolio

Nevertheless i wish everyone good luck with this! I am watching every step that is made, and really looking forward to the day a version of spring launched with a new/improved GUI (optionally nice = if its (partially) my design :wink: )

Keep up the good work!

Ice out.
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

I finally posted some widgets on UF.. I don't think any of them is complete, but at least people can play around with them now..

GUI Commands One week until I have holidays.. :-)
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

the tooltip should be more transparent than the resource panel... i would change that if i knew how :D damn lua...

oh and the resource bar is veeery good ^^ like the arrows :>
are holidays like u will do more spring releated or beer ?
Last edited by Masse on 31 Jan 2007, 21:52, edited 2 times in total.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

make different resolution versions, maybe? I almost can't see the last one at 1600x1200...
MelTraX

Post by MelTraX »

First off: I REALLY know about the resolution problem :-) ... I knew it before anyone told me and I know it now that 12 people told me :-) ..

If you want to change the transparency, just search the lua-file for "local alpha"..
Ices design had a transparency slider in the top left corner.. I'm planning to do that.. But I wanted them all to be the same transparency level.. Will think about it :-)
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

They look really freaking cool !

Can't wait you to have holliyday ;)

Return to “Lua Scripts”