Share Unit Control

Share Unit Control

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

jseah

Share Unit Control

Post by jseah »

Cross posting from the ZK forums:
http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/810
Played warcraft a bit for nostalgia's sake and noticed the share control function.

Basically, you check the box next to a player's name and that ally can control your units too. A notification pops up to tell them, of course.
This works one way, he has to share back to you for it to become two way.

ZK should have that. And have a function where someone who has been granted control can revoke it on his side. (so it doesn't clog up drag select)

Note that this is different from sharing a team number. You still count as two players, you do everything as if you were independent, just that he can select your units as well.

This lets players who can trust each other (eg. clans) micro each other's defences during some spare time or move an annoying blocking unit or make an idle builder drop some cheap eco or... etc.
Might need to show allied selections though.
I was told that this needs an engine change, so here I am requesting it.

Sorry that I can't give more input, I'm not familiar with how spring is coded.
Google_Frog

Re: Share Unit Control

Post by Google_Frog »

Here is what I think would be done to the engine to make this and related things possible. As in general functions that will allow more than this behaviour.

Any unit should be able to selected. The current callin widget:SelectionChanged can be used to control what you can select for the sake of a clean UI. This is useful in general as games like Warcraft allow enemy selection so you can view status effects.

Let players give orders to any unit, gadget:AllowCommand can have another parameter to control this behaviour.

Return to “Feature Requests”