Un-Hardcode Accuracy/Sprayangle Bonuses With XP

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Evil4Zerggin

Post by Evil4Zerggin »

Currently weapons get hardcoded bonuses to accuracy/sprayAngle with XP. Specifically, spreads can be reduced to:

BeamLaser: 70%
bombdropper: 90%
Cannon: 90%
DGunWeapon: 50%
EmgCannon (not used IIRC): 50%
FlameThrower: 20%
LaserCannon: 70%
LightningCannon: 50%
MissileLauncher: 50%
Rifle (probably not used): 90%
StarburstLauncher (probably irrelevant): 70%

Could this be exposed as a weapon tag?

Mantis: http://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=1849
Argh

Re: Un-Hardcode Accuracy/Sprayangle Bonuses With XP

Post by Argh »

Simply set the XP of the Units to whatever you want via Lua, or turn off the experience system entirely.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Argh wrote:Simply set the XP of the Units to whatever you want via Lua, or turn off the experience system entirely.
We're currently simply resetting XP to 0 for the units which is is troublesome for. We could set it fancifully to make up for the increase in accuracy given by XP, but it will conflict with other accuracy-altering gadgets we have. You can't turn off the experience system on a per-unit basis.

imo, the actual accuracy values of the weapon (as in those returned by GetUnitWeaponState) should be altered, rather than fannying around with inaccessible multipliers.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Personally, I'd go the other way, set it to 10K or something, so that it's as accurate as it's supposed to be. I just shut off the experience system entirely- if I want Units to have experience, I'll manage it manually by using Lua to change the accuracy stats of each weapon, like I do for Resistance Troopers, using GET WEAPON_ACCURACY. IIRC, there are some minor wrinkles- if you boost range past initial range, the CAI doesn't adjust properly, and there are probably other issues as well.

IOW, I'd like to see per-Unit, per-Weapon stuff actually work correctly, and I'd really like to see the whole "experience" system junked- if people want to boost stats for kills or hits or whatever, let 'em do it with Lua, all of the tools are there. It's just another hard-coded thing in the engine that's irrelevant and a waste of CPU because it's so inflexible as designed, imo.
Evil4Zerggin

Post by Evil4Zerggin »

Argh wrote:I'd really like to see the whole "experience" system junked- if people want to boost stats for kills or hits or whatever, let 'em do it with Lua, all of the tools are there. It's just another hard-coded thing in the engine that's irrelevant and a waste of CPU because it's so inflexible as designed, imo.
Perhaps, but that seems unlikely to happen due to backwards compatibility with existing mods--and if engine experience is not removed, I would like my original request to be fulfilled if possible.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

I agree with Evil4Zerggin - that way the Experience would at least be moderately useful for more games than it is now. So I support the feature request.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

experience is a useful method of getting feedback on wether a unit type is proving effective, it really pisses me off not having in ie, in EE
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I think XP should be stripped of everything that is not significantly faster when run engine side. Mods can then implement their own bonuses from the XP.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

Google_Frog wrote:I think XP should be stripped of everything that is not significantly faster when run engine side. Mods can then implement their own bonuses from the XP.
Provided a non-buggy interface was added to give bonuses to individual units i'd agree, tho I suppose the setunithealth bug would get fixed on its own if XP was removed..
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

TheFatController wrote:
Google_Frog wrote:I think XP should be stripped of everything that is not significantly faster when run engine side. Mods can then implement their own bonuses from the XP.
Provided a non-buggy interface was added to give bonuses to individual units i'd agree, tho I suppose the setunithealth bug would get fixed on its own if XP was removed..
Of course.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

TheFatController wrote:
You mean that the max health gets overwritten? Disabling XP already prevents that.
Soul

Post by Soul »

When i first read this post i was quite bewildered since i interpreted the topic as XP users would have better accuracy/sprayangle bonuses then linux/mac users...

Then i realised that i was just being stupid. :oops:

I guess not playing Spring mods for awhile makes you forget such ingame things as unit xp.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

you can set the amount HP gain and reload time scale with EXP

just puttng in a tag for accuracy and spray angle seems the easiest way to proceed

Return to “Feature Requests”