libunitsync.so problems

libunitsync.so problems

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

NTG

libunitsync.so problems

Post by NTG »

I've noticed some problems in sync with all SPADS hosts. After some checking I noticed libunitsync.so in /usr/lib/spring (used by default by SpringLobby) is different from one in ~/.spring/engines/98.0/ (when I noticed problem I updated lobby from other source to check this out). After correcting path everything seems to work normally.

Code: Select all

# md5sum /usr/lib/spring/libunitsync.so 
ce4a06144bffea42c1e98ce333b33ceb  /usr/lib/spring/libunitsync.so
# md5sum ~/.spring/engines/98.0/libunitsync.so
b495587f106c85a173d50710860e3ea1  /home/ntg/.spring/engines/98.0/libunitsync.so
Is it packaging error or some leftover from older releases? Or maybe some other problem...

Xubuntu 14.04 x64.
abma
Spring Developer

Re: libunitsync.so problems

Post by abma »

/usr/lib/spring/libunitsync.so is unitsync from the system installed spring.

to check the version maybe use this:

dpkg -l |grep spring
very likely "apt-get remove spring" removes the (not needed) system installed spring.
NTG

Post by NTG »

Hello again :)
/usr/lib/spring/libunitsync.so is dated 16 Oct 2014 - seems quite new. I reinstalled spring and spring-common (sudo apt-get install spring spring-common --reinstall) but I can't see any effect.

# dpkg -l | grep spring
ii  spring                                      98.0~14.04~ppa6                        amd64        a modern full-3D RTS game engine
ii  spring-common                               98.0~14.04~ppa6                         all          a modern full-3D RTS game engine (common files)
ii  springlobby                                 0.201-1~getdeb1                        amd64        single/multiplayer lobby for the Spring RTS engine
I started using GetDeb version after I noticed issues as SL in spring:ppa is in version 0.169 which doesn't support multi engines. Different MD5 checksums may be result of different compiler or something... no idea. After each restart SpringLobby switches to /usr/lib/spring/libunitsync.so no matter how many times I save/apply different settings in Preferences. I consider making config file read only. I can't sync with SPADS host in lobby but when I join ingame everything is normal.

Why do I keep Spring installed in system when I have one in SpringDataDir? Removing Spring automatically removes SpringLobby as per dependencies.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I don't know if this is relevant, but in spads you must regenerate the perl unitsync wrapper with spadsinstall -g command. But this applies to the server ofc, so maybe it's not the case if it's reproducible on all spads servers.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Why do I keep Spring installed in system when I have one in SpringDataDir? Removing Spring automatically removes SpringLobby as per dependencies.
who every made that .deb file made a broken deb file. this is no "official" .deb, some user made it.

you can manually configure springlobby to use the system installed spring: edit->preferences->spring and add it there. if spring 98.0 is listed there it shouldn't try to download it locally, too.

@jools: no not relevant.
albator

Post by albator »

@ NTG:

what PPA did you add ?

@ all

This linux situtation is getting really bad and hurting Spring reputation a lot.

This issue has been raised a lot of time in the past month:

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32495

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32573

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p562245

SL and Spring are not compatible for ubuntu based repo (and spring is still 96)

dpkg -l |grep spring
2192:rc  spring                                      96.0+dfsg-1                                         amd64        modern full-3D RTS game engine
2193:ii  spring-common                               96.0+dfsg-1                                         all          modern full-3D RTS game engine (common files)

Would not it be the best to just remove the spring PPA from the officiel repo as long as the situtation is not fixed ? IMO there is not nothing worse that damaging spring reputation rather than keeping player unaware about it
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Initiative shall be rewarded with responsiblity.

The most active complainers should install themselves as maintainers of the PPA.
NTG

Post by NTG »

NTG wrote:spring:ppa
albator wrote:what PPA did you add ?
abma wrote:who every made that .deb file made a broken deb file. this is no "official" .deb, some user made it.
I used spring:ppa as per Download > Linux Setup Guide > Ubuntu install. Because I haven't seen any package maintainers so I decided to report problems on forum - to both: find some proper solution and help some other people.
Library different checksums may either mean one is corrupted or simply either version of compiler and/or external binaries were used to create (may cause different results in some cases) or... I just posted them for reference :P

albator wrote:SL and Spring are not compatible for ubuntu based repo (and spring is still 96)
abma wrote:you can manually configure springlobby to use the system installed spring: edit->preferences->spring and add it there. if spring 98.0 is listed there it shouldn't try to download it locally, too.
I switched to spring:ppa after Ubuntu repository wasn't updated for about 2 days. Recently (after noticing problems) I added GetDeb Games to have more compatible version of lobby... update didn't help - SL allows only one Spring version to be configured and it's always switching to Spring installed in system instead of ~/spring/engines/98.0/ on start. Method with making config read-only - my previous idea - doesn't work as config is correct... but SL decides to use executable installed in system no matter the config and as I mentioned before, removing Spring installed with system removes my only lobby :-)

So far solutions I see are:
  1. Downgrade Spring to previous release (eg. removing spring:ppa, leaving GetDeb Games for lobby only and then purging ppa should do it - only up-to-date SL 0.201 and Spring 96.0 - which was working and won't mess Spring 98.0 config - should stay).
  2. Make some dirty changes (eg. removing files used by SL to prevent their detection or linking them to binaries in Spring data dir).
  3. Wait for working update in Ubuntu's spring repository (or ppa repository).
  4. Wait for a day sb decides to remove dependency of SL to Spring or to distribute lobby's binary (compiling requires installing tons of libraries - I'd prefer not to keep them on computer or VM).
  5. Not using SPADS AHs.
Nothing else comes to my mind.

albator wrote:Would not it be the best to just remove the spring PPA from the officiel repo as long as the situtation is not fixed ? IMO there is not nothing worse that damaging spring reputation rather than keeping player unaware about it
I think distributing (any working) lobby with (instead of?) Spring binaries on Spring website (just as for Windows) instead of message with link to setup guide I mentioned in beginning of this post:
http://springrts.com/wiki/Download wrote:(binary builds do not contain a lobby, you need to install one via Linux Setup guide)
would solve many problems; I mean lobby can download engine etc. and engine without any lobby is quite useless in general use :wink:
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

NTG wrote:SL allows only one Spring version to be configured and it's always switching to Spring installed in system instead of ~/spring/engines/98.0/ on start
configure it correctly and it shouldn't switch. it allows multiple versions to be used, but only one of the same version. i.e. you can't install spring 98.0 twice (which makes no sense, too) and use both in springlobby.
NTG

Post by NTG »

abma wrote:configure it correctly and it shouldn't switch. it allows multiple versions to be used, but only one of the same version. i.e. you can't install spring 98.0 twice (which makes no sense, too) and use both in springlobby.
I configure it correctly to use ~/.spring/engine/98.0, save it and it works... until SL restart - then again it uses /usr/lib/spring. Config file (~/.springlobby/springlobby.conf) still points to ~/.spring/engine/98.0. Each time I close SL config file gets updated (so it's stored by lobby) so I have no idea what's going on... it always switches to /usr/lib/spring if it contains Spring 98 binaries no matter the config.
Oh and of course instead of ~ I use /home/username :)

My current solution is to:
  1. Remove spring:ppa.
  2. Remove all packages left.
  3. Update repositories data.
  4. Reinstall Springlobby 0.201 form GetDeb and... well default Spring 96 from Ubuntu repositories.
  5. Reconfigure SL so it uses Spring 98 as well.
  6. Enjoy.
Because I have only one Spring 98 now, SL doesn't auto switch me to /usr/lib/spring for Spring 98 - this directory now contains Spring 96 :)

Return to “Linux”