Re: Linux build of Spring error using make and install cmds

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Cmdr_Shaffer

Post by Cmdr_Shaffer »

What's up? I've poked through the forums, but I'm so new at Linux I'm having trouble deciphering exactly what's going on here. I added the Spring PPA to my software repository, tried reloading both it and the lobby client, and even tried updating through the terminal, but Spring still says that my version is 91, and I need 94 to play any online games. Help? :-?

EDIT: See subsequent posts for updated information...
Last edited by Cmdr_Shaffer on 26 Aug 2013, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr_Shaffer

Post by Cmdr_Shaffer »

duplicate post removed
Last edited by Cmdr_Shaffer on 26 Aug 2013, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr_Shaffer

Post by Cmdr_Shaffer »

Okay--so I figured out what I was doing wrong *facepalm* with my version of Spring being behind, but now I'm getting this error, even when using sudo. Note, I am using the Spring compile guide listed here: http://zero-k.info/Wiki/Download

Code: Select all

[ 15%] Building CXX object AI/Skirmish/KAIK/CMakeFiles/KAIK.dir/AIExport.cpp.o
c++: error: Stuff/spring_94.1/rts/lib/lua/include/: No such file or directory
c++: error: Stuff/spring_94.1/rts/lib/lua/src/: No such file or directory
c++: error: Stuff/spring_94.1/rts/lib/streflop/: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [AI/Skirmish/KAIK/CMakeFiles/KAIK.dir/AIExport.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [AI/Skirmish/KAIK/CMakeFiles/KAIK.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
What's up with this one, guys?
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

run `cmake-gui .` and disable AI building
Also 94 is in the PPA it's just not marked as default, with a bit more extended cmd you can install it (no idea what the exact one is, I am gentoo user)
Cmdr_Shaffer

Post by Cmdr_Shaffer »

Okay--can I have some tips on cmake-gui? :oops: Never used that command before--not entirely sure what I'm looking at or how to use it...Sorry....
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

you already run

cmake .
make
sudo make install
the important line here is `cmake .` it will just set everything to default. cmake-gui allows you configure these.
When you run it you see a list of all config vars available. And it will start with a AI_* few ones. Hover them to see their tooltip, doing so you will see AI_TYPES allows you to configure which AIs to build. And that you can change it to `NONE` to disable all AI building.
Cmdr_Shaffer

Post by Cmdr_Shaffer »

Okay--so here's where I'm at:

The Browse Source and Browse Build tabs, I can put those where I unpacked the .tar file that I got of the source code for Spring 94, right?

If that's not the case, that may explain the error message I'm getting:

Error in configuration process, project files may be invalid
What's up with that?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

many users have 94 on ubuntu through the repo. you should also be able to get it. i managed too (long ago already). it should be easier for you, and it will lessen the pain you will have if a new version comes out. try that again instead of compiling yourself.
Cmdr_Shaffer

Post by Cmdr_Shaffer »

I did that... :? and that's where I'm stuck at 91. Every time I try to update it says everything is up to date. But in Spring itself, it's a no go.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

what i meant to say was, that you are doing something wrong, as it works for so many other ubuntu users. it should not be too hard to find out what it is. maybe it is what jk said (though i don't think so), or you just have to remove all spring related repos from your sources list, and re-add them, and refresh or something.
Cmdr_Shaffer

Post by Cmdr_Shaffer »

Okay--what does that entail? Going into the software center, uninstalling it from there, and then going into the Home folder and removing all traces of Spring from there as well? If that's the case, I've already tried that to attempt to deal with another issue I'm having with Spring--mysteriously, BA has stopped spawning commanders. And a reinstall has fixed neither issue.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

the problem you have there is not with spring, but with your software management/repositories. so what you should do is what i said already: fiddle with your sources list and refresh and so on.

http://springrts.com/wiki/Ubuntu_instal ... _and_newer
Cmdr_Shaffer

Post by Cmdr_Shaffer »

Okay--well I -really- don't know what I'm doing there... you go into system settings, software & updates, and then go to the "Other Software" tab, right? I go there, and this is the screen I see: (see attached screenshot). I've removed and re-added the Spring repository, but I see no option to "reload" the packages, and when I try to do an update or install via the terminal, once again, I'm told that all my packages are up to date. What am I missing?

EDIT: It looks like I got the thing to compile using cmake-gui, but the Spring engine still says I'm running version 91...
Attachments
Screenshot 1.png
(199.42 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
qray

Post by qray »

The repository settings seem to be right. I can't spot an error there :o
Edit:
On the command line, did you do sudo apt-get update (updates the package list) before sudo apt-get upgrade (updates the installed packages)? I guess you did, but just to be sure.... :wink:

For your own compiled version: Do you start via sprinlobby? Then check the paths to the spring binary/unit sync library in "Edit"->"Preferences".
Also, you can try to download the static binary for linux and set the paths in the lobby to use this (works for me w/o probs on 12.04/Precise Pangolin).

Return to “Linux”