Low performance on Spring when adding bots: (BA v7.81)

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Cmdr_Shaffer

Post by Cmdr_Shaffer »

Okay--so being a COMPLETE newbie to both Spring and the TA world, after I installed Spring, I added a Null bot to avoid the gameover screen, and then just played around, learning what each building and unit did. Then, after feeling fairly confident, I loaded up Submarine's AAI and decided to have a go. It was a lot of fun--until my FPS dropped to about 5. I used the GlobalLOS command to see if the AI had a huge base that was sucking CPU power, but we were both in the early game, and so neither one of us really had a large amount of anything. So--my question is, what gives? Here are my system specs:

Code: Select all

$ lspci | grep VGA
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780MC [Mobility Radeon HD 3100]

$ lscpu | grep "MHz"
CPU MHz:               1050.000

$ sudo dmidecode -t processor | grep "Speed"
	Max Speed: 4000 MHz
	Current Speed: 2100 MHz

$ cat /var/log/kern.log | grep "MHz processor"
Aug 19 15:03:15 Yoshi kernel: [    0.004000] tsc: Detected 2100.160 MHz processor
Aug 20 20:47:32 Yoshi kernel: [    0.004000] tsc: Detected 2100.050 MHz processor

RAM: 3GB (Didn't need to do this one in Terminal because I put the RAM in myself, so I know how much I have :P )
Now, I know that every Spring game is different, and there's no one set "benchmark" for performance--but according to the metrics that are up on your website, I should be able to run a fair game, especially if I have the graphics turned down, which I do. But still, once things even start getting revved up, it all falls apart, and I'm still too new at Linux to know why.

I originally installed Linux on this PC because the laptop I had prior to this one crashed, and I cobbled together my current laptop from working parts from a couple of other laptops I had (extra RAM, a working HD--this one had a failed one in it), but then discovered that the copy of Windows on the working HD was corrupted. So, I wiped everything and installed Linux. I just realized that I may not have any drivers for a lot of my software on this PC if I did a system wipe--if that's the case, where do I go to get compatible drivers? If that's not the case, does anybody have any answers? Thanks in advance guys--you've been one of the most helpful communities on the Internet by far, and I really appreciate it. :-)

Oh! Additional info: I have also tried other Spring games (Spring 1944, Zero K, NOTA, Kernel Panic, and Spring Tanks) -- And the situation is always the same. It's got fair framerates when I'm paired up against a Null bot--but when I break out a real AI, things slow down. And, with Zero K, it's just slow, period. I'm thinking that may be because of the more detailed graphics?
Silentwings

Re: Low performance on Spring when adding bots: (BA v7.81)

Post by Silentwings »

Bots are a law unto themselves - I think KAI is working at the moment, see that also causes you to massively slow down. I suspect your issue here is a bug related to AAI rather than driver problems.
Cmdr_Shaffer

Post by Cmdr_Shaffer »

Okay--I'll give it a shot. I know in Supreme Commander, the last time I played it anyway, the AI was a *massive* resource hog--so I'll try a new AI and see what results that gives me. Thanks :-)
Cmdr_Shaffer

Post by Cmdr_Shaffer »

Looks like that was it--AAI, apparently, is a big resource user--which makes sense if it's a "learning" AI--so I'm using RAI, much improved :-)
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

for system stats, usually best (here) is to just show your infolog. it should contain everything that might be interesting to us. for example, i am sure your CPU does not have 1050MHz, but that it is a downclocked, intermediate value.
i never heard of performance problems with any AI in the early game, so far. E323AI should be the most performance hungry, but also that one should work fine, as long as there are not yet lots of units. the most likely reason for AI games to get laggy, is when lots of units clogg up in somewhere, due to pathfinder problems, or when there are just too many units in general.
but... it would be nice to have someone work on AIs again. ;-)
can you code? debug?
do you want to learn it?
Cmdr_Shaffer

Post by Cmdr_Shaffer »

I'd be more than happy to provide the infolog--is that in the spring main folder? Unfortunately, I can neither code nor debug, and as I am a single parent, I don't have the time to learn either, though I would much like to. Possibly if I ever strike it rich and can stop working, I'll take up a hobby ;)
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

Code: Select all

~/.spring/infolog.txt
(attach as file, do not copy&paste)

... i see :-)
a parent that uses linux, and thus probably also teaches it to the kid(s), is also a good thing to have! :-)
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Cmdr_Shaffer wrote:Spring 1944, Kernel Panic, Spring Tanks
For these, make sure to use the "Lua AI" included inside the mod, and not one of the generic AI. These three mods are too different from the TA-derived mods that generic AI are coded for.

Also, how do you even manage to have too many units in Spring Tanks?
Cmdr_Shaffer

Post by Cmdr_Shaffer »

Here's my infolog, guys, if any useful info can be gleaned from it:
Attachments
infolog.txt
My infolog:
(338.84 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Return to “Linux”