SpringLobby on amd64 Debian

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

snow93

Post by snow93 »

Just in case anyone else tries to install SpringLobby on Debian {etch,lenny} amd64, here's how I solved it.
Download an rpm:

Code: Select all

wget http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/accAgon/Fedora_7/x86_64/SpringLobby-0.0.1.10132-1.1.x86_64.rpm
Open it up with file-roller (sudo apt-get install file-roller), and extract the Spring Lobby executable into /usr/local/bin.

sudo file-roller SpringLobby-0.0.1.10132-1.1.x86_64.rpm
However, if you run the lobby now, it will complain about missing wxGTK libs that for some inexplicable reason are not included in the debian wxGTK package.

So download this rpm:

wget ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/epel/5/x86_64/wxGTK-2.8.4-4.el5.x86_64.rpm
sudo file-roller wxGTK-2.8.4-4.el5.x86_64.rpm
And extract all the .so files into /usr/local/lib (assuming /usr/local/lib is in your $PATH).

Finally, do

cd /usr/lib
ln -s libtiff.so.4 libtiff.so.3
and then check you have unitsync.so in a folder somewhere in your path (e.g. /usr/local/lib).

Hope this helps anyone searching for a Springlobby/debian-related solution.

Note: Springlobby works relatively slowly for me - I can see from the messages in the terminal screen that it is getting somewhere eventually though, so this isn't disastrous. The slowness seems to be related to unitsync.so somehow.

Also note: I am aware you could install everything with alien, but I don't want to break my debian installation, so I'd rather put everything under /usr/local.
LordMatt

Re: SpringLobby on amd64 Debian

Post by LordMatt »

Couldn't you just compile the source?
snow93

Re: SpringLobby on amd64 Debian

Post by snow93 »

That would still require wxGTK libs that are not supplied in the official debian packages, and one would need to extract the header files as well as the shared libraries from an rpm (or build the entirety of wxGTK from source itself, I suppose).

Return to “Linux”