More then 1 map loading how to do them?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

It seems spring is able to handle to load several maps at once but how do i do these? I would likely to try to make some Single Player aspect to it, since most mods/games for Spring are obviously only Multi Player based or the majority of it.

Ala Earth 2150 styled Missions. If this is possible then how?

See also: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26981
Senna

Re: More then 1 map loading how to do them?

Post by Senna »

Uhm This looks so nice and entertained i would love to help u if necesary for it, i like missions so mutch, but it will need a standard mod, so mod owner should do something about too not only 1 alone
smoth

Post by smoth »

do you realize how much memory loading several maps would take up!?!?
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

smoth wrote:do you realize how much memory loading several maps would take up!?!?
I got 8 GB Ram that should be sufficient if not then i use my remaining HDD spaces
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Karl wrote:It seems spring is able to handle to load several maps at once but how do i do these?
How did you get that idea?
Karl wrote:I would likely to try to make some Single Player aspect to it
Use ZK mission system or my mission system.

I suppose you could sorta save the game when exiting the map, Spring.Restart on another map, then Spring.Restart on the other map with the units etc.. restored as you left them, is this the kind of thing you're after?
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

zwzsg wrote:How did you get that idea?
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26981
so it seemed it is possible
Also Earth 2150 mission allowed you to dynamically swap to Main base map and to Mission map on The Moon project 2! swapable maps were added
zwzsg wrote: Use ZK mission system or my mission system.

I suppose you could sorta save the game when exiting the map, Spring.Restart on another map, then Spring.Restart on the other map with the units etc.. restored as you left them, is this the kind of thing you're after?
I think so it, I would likely to try it out

zwzsg wrote: Use ZK mission system or my mission system.
hm could i get the URL if it's possible? For your mission system,

I guess the Z-K mission system is also in there where all their other Z-K stuff is in right
smoth

Post by smoth »

Karl wrote:
zwzsg wrote:How did you get that idea?
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26981
so it seemed it is possible
What made you think that?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

For ZK mission system, It's around there: http://code.google.com/p/zero-k/wiki/Mi ... rStartPage

For details, ask quantum.

For my system, it's some lua files that have to be included in a mod. I put it into this BA fork, into GRTS, and into KP. My system doesn't have fancy editor, it's mainly about playing (and cheating) ingame to put all the units with their orders, then saving, then fiddling with the save file. A bit more details there.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

smoth wrote:What made you think that?
i thought Spring Engine would be capable of doing it with all of its Lua stuff that it has.

Also Anarchid mentioned it with Lua Lobby of it but i have no idea who would be capable of .

@zwzsg
Thanks i will look on it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

So you just wanted it so bad you assumed it was the case? Lol
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

smoth wrote:So you just wanted it so bad you assumed it was the case? Lol
He assumed an engine advertised as a modern RTS did the things a modern RTS can do..

tbh this thread was kind of meh since he already had the answer in the other thread =/
smoth

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:He assumed an engine advertised as a modern RTS did the things a modern RTS can do..
that's a stupid whiteknight post you've got there.

seriously dumb post.

battleforge: loads 1 map at a time
dow2: loads 1 map at a time
supcom: loads 1 map at a time..

and so on..

I cannot think of 1 game that has several maps loaded at once. Care to list these games? I would love to see how it works out.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

This whole thread is just a miscommunication about loading multiple maps at once vs in sequence.

Many engines can do multiple maps in sequence, I don't know of one that can do multiple at once and has a use case for it too.

Spring can do neither, unless you count Spring.Restart, which was mentioned in the other thread as sufficient for "supports multiple maps in sequence".
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah, I wish we didn't have to entirely restart the executable to do a new script. Is it hard to fix that tobi? because honestly, that does suck.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

it would be a LOT of work (which, though, partly would be useful for other stuff, which actually makes sense). it would take a year or so, if it was a priority, and then would be buggy for the first two years, and then it would give you a 1-3sec speedup in load-time, compared to Restart.
no way worth it.
knorke

Post by knorke »

If games really want instant restart, they can just destroy all units, replace all the features, reset all gadget stuff variabes and respawn start units. A bit of work but probally a lot more realistic than if the engine has to to do that and more.

I think that the player sees the desktop for half a second while the engine restarts is a very small problem compared to the rest of Spring offline SP experience. Wasn't there some planning for Lua loadscreens too, like games being able to disable custom text during load?
smoth

Post by smoth »

knorke wrote:I think that the player sees the desktop for half a second while the engine restarts is a very small problem compared to the rest of Spring offline SP experience. Wasn't there some planning for Lua loadscreens too, like games being able to disable custom text during load?
What other issues? afaik the rest are just lack of commitment to sp from content devs like me who continue to not develop it.
knorke

Post by knorke »

yes, basically nobody seriously making SP content. I have yet to see a mission that does not feel like techdemo/"my first mission" and where I actually want to restart. ;)
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah, I completely understand that. For me I feel being shot out to windows hurts immersion..

The reason I have to hold off is that I want single player to be like this:
Image but obviously on earth.

to do single player I have to first settle on an economy, research and most of my units... Then I can do singleplayer. Otherwise I will just re-re-re-do missions instead of working on solid gameplay.

IMO, I think I need to get the in game UI, including menus, in game manual and settings first.. then worry about single player.. which could mean it is a year or so away.. which is why I have no problem saying "HEY ANY ETA ON THIS POSSIBILITY!!!1One11IDEAGUY"

Return to “Game Development”