Contact - beta 002 Released... happy holidays...

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Just uploaded the Contact 002 beta release

Get it here: h9

What's new:
-Tons of bug fixes
-New faction to play with
-New defense units
-3 new Game modes:
-Team Demolition Mode: win by blowing up all the enemy team's radar installations
-Ally Demolition Mode: win by blowing up any enemy radar installations
-Commando Mode: You get a commando (tough guy with powerful weapons) Win by killing enemy commandos/ team, but don't lose yours

Here is the game in a nutshell:

You control a small squad 4 to 12 max. The only game mode that is implemented now is team death match, where every time a team remains the last ones standing they get a point for the match the map is cleared and redone. When you start you have a drop ship to assemble your team, but you only have about 120 seconds to do so before it flies off so don't waste your time. There are 7 classes of infantry to configure:

Grenadier - The Grenadier specializes in attacks against defenses. Grenadiers are armed with an assault rifle, a grenade launcher, and have suppression resistance abilities
Medic - The Medic specializes in healing team mates. Grenadiers are armed with a battle rifle and have fast healing abilities
Assaultman - The Assaultman specializes in attacks against vehicles. Assaultman have additional armor and are armed with a SMG, a rocket launcher, and emp mines
Infiltrator - The Infiltrator specializes in stealth and sabotage. Infiltrators are armed with a Carbine Rifle, Explosive Charges, a Sword, and have advanced stealth abilities
Recon - The Recon Marine specializes in long range harassing and scouting. Recon are armed with a long range heavy rifle, can set Seismic Sensors and have long range scouting abilities
Support - The Machinegunner specializes in supressive firepower. Machinegunners are armed with a light machinegun and flash bangs
Engineer - The Engineer specializes in repair and construction. Engineers are armed with a Trench Gun and can build Sentry turrets

Each class has unique abilities to fulfill its role, but all infantry are capable for adjusting fire settings and stance settings.
Fire settings are:
Rapid Fire - for bonus in rate with a penalty in range and accuracy
Balanced - for a medium setting
Slow Fire - more accuracy and slight range boost, but with a slower attack rate

Stance Settings are:
Flanking - Limits attack types, but movement is very fast
Balanced - a medium setting, with some speed and some defense
Defensive - Slow movement, but with defensive bonus, and camouflage (cloaking)

Your men have limited ammo and supplies, but the battlefield is littered with supply crates as well as other capturable equipment. Bunkers, stationary weapons, and vehicles can be used to the infantries advantage. To use any of these the infantry first have to capture it, and then pilot or command the machine.

Squads members are auto assigned to a squad bar for quick selection, and are also assigned group numbers. Unit types are color coded, for those who can't tell the difference from model details. Maybe I'll add an toggled unit role icon for people that like to play at strategic scale zoom.

Future plans for game modes are: Capture the flag, a kill ticket counter, and maybe an assassination/ rescue mode.

Next Release: Alien invaders? Tanks, Gunships, Anti Air, and mechs?
Attachments
contact splash.jpg
(114.67 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by bobthedinosaur on 12 May 2011, 04:08, edited 8 times in total.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Contact - 2am beta testing

Post by Forboding Angel »

FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

Cool!

Checking it out now.
Looks flipping awesome (but perhaps to small and far away.)
First try the drop ship flew off after i had only one squad-member yet. :-) oops.

Is that unit holding what i think he is? I like.

Some things are still a bit unpolished, but can I not get squad-members out of a bunker/fighting-position, or is it just me?

Anyway, great stuff.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Yeah. I'd like to get some of the transports to do an immediate dump on unload, instead of asking to unload where.

Questions and critique are welcome.

Here is an old gif animation I made with some high tweaked fuel barrels (barrels still explode, just not this crazy)
http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/gro ... 00160b.gif
Last edited by bobthedinosaur on 10 Oct 2010, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
jeykey

Post by jeykey »

units are looking awesome!
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Here is a screen dump if any one is curious to see what it looks like, but hasn't bothered to d/l yet.
Gota

Post by Gota »

this looks cool...trying it.
Gota

Post by Gota »

OK
I think i liek the concept and i like the models and textures but...

1)game doesnt work...
I played versus a human opponent.
First round my ship was stuck in the corner but i made some troops. Second round i got a buggy that couldn't be selected or moved and i couldn't build any troops(clicked on pics and queued but nothing came out of the ship).
third round i got some ammo and couldn't spawn troops as well.
I also have no idea for what reason rounds ended..

2)Units all look alike...impossible to play cause all the troops look the same.
Its one of the basic rules...units have to be easily distinguishable from gameplay distance,ATM, they are not.
Last edited by Gota on 10 Oct 2010, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i played it with bob and i loved it! rly worth trying. and yes, its totally unfinished. would be cool if 'community' could help bob, coz as far as i know he got problems with 'staff' :<

btw bob, ill send u screenies with bugs soon.

go play it naabz

@ gota - round ends when ALL enemy units are killed, even sensors etc (dunno, maybe bob fixed it)
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

currently sensors still need to be killed, trying to fix that atm.

Gota it sounds like you where playing on a bad map if the ship was stuck in the corner. Also vehicles only work if they have a pilot in them, but currently transports are somewhat buggy. I'm trying to work on that.

I am trying to think of a way for people to manage their squads better, I'm thinking of icons for unit types, but really maybe just fixing the borked squad bar on the bottom would be easiest. Giving the bar unit build pics instead of a model render.
Gota

Post by Gota »

bobthedinosaur wrote:currently sensors still need to be killed, trying to fix that atm.

Gota it sounds like you where playing on a bad map if the ship was stuck in the corner. Also vehicles only work if they have a pilot in them, but currently transports are somewhat buggy. I'm trying to work on that.

I am trying to think of a way for people to manage their squads better, I'm thinking of icons for unit types, but really maybe just fixing the borked squad bar on the bottom would be easiest. Giving the bar unit build pics instead of a model render.
You could try playing with unit sizes or proportions perhaps?or is that too much?you can try repainting some of the team color on the troops so they are more distinguishable...

Anyway this project sounds awesome...GL
knorke

Re: Contact - beta testing

Post by knorke »

i think the idea is cool and with correct maps will be awesome fun.
but i couldnt really test the game:
started via spring.exe
my ship was always stuck in top left corner even on maps with correct start pos. units refused to fire for some reason, i think only got them to shot once or twice when i shared units to the enemy with h key.

maybe units units could be bigger too? At least the size of T1 units in ta mods maybe...
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

I don't really know what is causing that spawn issue. I first thought it was bad map settings, maybe Contacts lacks some kind of lock to grid gadget that prevents this?

Any how I am short on time until some of my college projects are finished so I can't work on this too much ATM. But I am working on the demolition game mode, that would allow players to win by blowing up the enemy's radar station. Hopefully this and some other fixes to buggy transports would allow for more focused games.
Longer term plan: After the Demolition mode, I think I will work on Fat Controller's capture the flag geared for this of scale of combat, and add another player race.

So be patient, and maybe I can have another release some time in Nov.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I have a task I'm kicking out for 1944 and I put that one with Smoth on hold, so I will try to help as I promised come November 7th or so, as best I can. It looks solid to me.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Just an update. This week is finals. Next week, the world... rrr I mean I will try to be serious about progress with a release before the end of Dec (hopefully). Bug fixes, adding some more vehicles (suits, mechs?, tanks?, air?), and a demolition mode set for next release.

Also: is it a good idea to make a space bug game mode, so aliens versus marine type battle? I mean there are plenty of chicken games out there already, would I just be wasting my time?
maackey

Post by maackey »

Chickens are always a welcome addition, especially for the fact that they make good singleplayer games when no one else is available to play or you just need to unwind.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

yeah.. you should have either a chicken like thing or make sure that you have at least one AI that works with your mod. both would not hurt either i guess.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Maybe more December 7th than November 7th.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

just an update: I am working on bug fixes. Cleaning up the 2nd faction, and am trying to get a Commando mode set up. Hopefully a release before Mithras birthday.

Here are some recent screens of the Coalition Marines

bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Re: Contact - beta 002 Released... happy holidays...

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Update: I just uploaded the 2nd beta version. I would greatly appreciate critique feed back and/or issues. Maybe if I have time later this week I can set up some games with some people who are interested but want some help getting their feet wet..

Return to “Game Releases”