Crash upon loading with mapcountainer.sdd blueprint

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

The Yak

Post by The Yak »

I've been working on a map based on the blueprint provided in the wiki, but after adding my .smf, .smt, and SSMF files in I just get a crash when loading during the Creating Water step. The error box disappears before I can read it. I've attached my infolog and mapinfo.lua at the bottom. This is my first time making a map for spring, so I'm probably just doing something stupid but I don't know what.
Attachments
infolog.txt
(17.87 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
mapinfo.lua
mapinfo
(7.05 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
abma
Spring Developer

Re: Crash upon loading with mapcountainer.sdd blueprint

Post by abma »

from infolog.txt:
[f=0000000] Error: This stack trace indicates a problem with your graphic card driver. Please try upgrading or downgrading it. Specifically recommended is the latest driver, and one that is as old as your graphic card. Make sure to use a driver removal utility, before installing other drivers.
as it crashes at "[f=0000000] Creating Water" try to set water to basic.

also you can try to run spring with --safemode
The Yak

Post by The Yak »

I noticed that strange error, but as infolog also indicates I'm running a:
AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor ; 3033MB RAM, 6064MB pagefile
and
[f=0000000]GL renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
I can run Spring at ultra settings with any other map. Anyways, same results with basic water and safe mode on. I know it's something specifically with my map.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

The stacktrace clearly says it is related to a ati bug triggered by BumpWater + ShoreWaves
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Turn off bumpmapped water. All ATI fails miserably with bumpmapped water.
The Yak

Post by The Yak »

Interesting... I've had some trouble with bumpmapped water in the past where the water would show up fine but make the outside of the map all trippy, but with the latest 12.4 catalyst drivers I've been able to run BumpWater fine on all maps. My map doesn't even have any water, so I don't know why it would be special in this case. I'll look into it more when I get back to my computer at home.
smoth

Post by smoth »

The Yak wrote:Interesting... I've had some trouble with bumpmapped water in the past where the water would show up fine but make the outside of the map all trippy, but with the latest 12.4 catalyst drivers I've been able to run BumpWater fine on all maps. My map doesn't even have any water, so I don't know why it would be special in this case. I'll look into it more when I get back to my computer at home.
trippy happens with refraction set to own rendering pass.
The Yak

Post by The Yak »

Same result with water set to basic. Bumpmapped water still works fine on other maps. However, I fixed this problem by moving my map out of the blueprint and instead using the older .smd system. I don't intend intend on using any lua gadgets/widgets with my map, so this should work out fine. Thanks guys.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

The Yak wrote:Same result with water set to basic. Bumpmapped water still works fine on other maps. However, I fixed this problem by moving my map out of the blueprint and instead using the older .smd system. I don't intend intend on using any lua gadgets/widgets with my map, so this should work out fine. Thanks guys.
you could try stripping down the mapinfo.lua file and removing all the other files from the template

that way you are at least using the lua infrastructure so if you want to get more advanced later it wont be as much of a transition.

start with this and add to it:

Code: Select all

local mapinfo = {
    name = "Minimalist",
    modtype = 3,
    depend = {"Map Helper v1"},

smf = {
        minheight = 0,
        maxheight = 500,
    },
}
return mapinfo
actually finding the problem and getting it fixed would be the optimum solution..
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Infolog wrote:[f=0000000] Error: This stack trace indicates a problem with your graphic card driver. Please try upgrading or downgrading it. Specifically recommended is the latest driver, and one that is as old as your graphic card. Make sure to use a driver removal utility, before installing other drivers.
The Yak

Post by The Yak »

enetheru wrote:
The Yak wrote:Same result with water set to basic. Bumpmapped water still works fine on other maps. However, I fixed this problem by moving my map out of the blueprint and instead using the older .smd system. I don't intend intend on using any lua gadgets/widgets with my map, so this should work out fine. Thanks guys.
you could try stripping down the mapinfo.lua file and removing all the other files from the template

that way you are at least using the lua infrastructure so if you want to get more advanced later it wont be as much of a transition.

start with this and add to it:

Code: Select all

local mapinfo = {
    name = "Minimalist",
    modtype = 3,
    depend = {"Map Helper v1"},

smf = {
        minheight = 0,
        maxheight = 500,
    },
}
return mapinfo
actually finding the problem and getting it fixed would be the optimum solution..
Is there any real benefit to using this structure rather then the traditional smd? Is Spring going to phase out smd eventually?

Anyways, that code won't work without the start positions defined, but it was easy enough to do that myself. Thanks.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

The Yak wrote: Is there any real benefit to using this structure rather then the traditional smd? Is Spring going to phase out smd eventually?

Anyways, that code won't work without the start positions defined, but it was easy enough to do that myself. Thanks.
I'm sure you will eventually run into things you would like to do, but that SMD can't. starting with it like this at least will reduce the amount of change you will do when you get there.
smoth

Post by smoth »

The Yak wrote: Is Spring going to phase out smd eventually?
I sure hope so.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

SMD is so inferior that it hurts.

The thought of making a proper detailed comparison makes my head hurt because it is so drastically inferior.

Return to “Map Creation”