Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

FaerieWithBoots

Wanderlust

Post by FaerieWithBoots »

Here is another map ready to be (play) tested.

now final
[url=http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps/wanderlustv01[/url]

Originally, it was intended as a 16x12 1v1 map, but that resulted in large open boring area's that were uncrossable for bots. It was simply too big for 1v1 or 2v2. So i decided to rescale everything down to 10x8. Good thing was that there were wide ramps, these gave an interesting non-porcy gameply. I'll try that again in a next project ;P

Gameplay
There are 3 ramps hat lead to the centre plateau and one that leads there indirectly wich is only useable by Kbots. In the centre you can find 3 big metal spots. Claim those!

texture

metal

Kbots

Vehicles

feel free to play and leave a comment

TODO
- add metal to texturemap *
- polish heigthmap *
- play test BA / XTA
- Zero-K would be interesting to see what you can do with terraforming. The ridges aren't to high and the entrypoints to the centre limited. :-)
- come up with a name (final version will be called "Wanderlust") *

- remake as 16 x 12 (testversion is ready but ugly)

Posible issues
- arty too strong at bombarding bases (0K)
- air start mandatory (XTA) *no
- rush centre mexes mandatory
- too much metal on top&bottom centre hills
Last edited by FaerieWithBoots on 29 Jul 2011, 21:49, edited 5 times in total.
Johannes

Re: just another spring map

Post by Johannes »

I don't know if the strong mexes at middle is a good idea for a map like this. It's so small that you will probably want to rush there immediately in any case, you don't need much extra encouragement.If you get control of the hill you have both huge positional advantage, but also a big economic lead from those mexes -> too big focus on controlling 1 spot only, makes for pretty straightforward strategies.
Nice overall design otherwise, I'd be interested to see it as 12x10 or 14x10 though.

And there's a small nonmirrored bot passable spot at 1900-2000, 1700-1800. Otherwise too it's kinda hard to differentiate between different passabilities, how about some more variance to the texture?
FaerieWithBoots

yes that is true, but it is unlikely that youll hold all 3 the big mexes, it will be just one. The other two are raidable very easely. You cannot think of the centre plateau as one big area. They are more like 3 area's.

Thx for pointing out the slope inconvenience. I'll look into that.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Yes it's not very easy to get hold of all the middle area, but it favors putting all your effort into that area. You MUST hold your own side of the plateau or you're crippled - to me that's less interesting than if you would be free'er to do more back and forth maneuvering in the middle without losing your economy.

But, playtest and decide if you like it or not.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Won't contribute on the gameplay until I have actually played it, but visually you need to brighten it up. It's dark and therefore a bit depressing. You could add specular map to give some shine to it.
FaerieWithBoots

updated

now with better texture, metal, slopemap etc

edit:
updated again with final name

Return to “Map Creation”