Compiled Map Texture Broken

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

kfriars

Post by kfriars »

Hello,
So I have compiled my map with the latest mapconv using the following bmp images...

Heightmap: 1025x1025
Texturemap: 8192x8192
Metalmap: 1025x1025

It all compiles but when I load the game in spring, the terrain is textured red, instead of the intended texture. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Beherith

Re: Compiled Map Texture Broken

Post by Beherith »

Did you rename the .smf file? Thats what can cause it. If not, post the command line and the map.
kfriars

Post by kfriars »

Thanks Behe you are god sent.

I did not rename the smf file and I was using the GUI so I'm not certain what command is built. I can try to build it from the command line if you would like and let you know. Otherwise, here is the sdz file.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details ... gofWar.sdz

If you would prefer I host the files elsewhere let me know. Thanks a tonne!
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Wierd how the gui mapconv embedded the path of the .smt file into the .smf:
"C:\Users\Francois\Documents\Spring\map\FogofWar.smt"
instead of just:
FogofWar.smt

Use the command line:

Code: Select all

Mapconv.exe -t texture.bmp -h heightmap.bmp -m metalmap.bmp -o FogofWar.smf -x 500 -n -200 -c 0.7 -i -l
Edit: or just use the supplied example.bat to compile your map
kfriars

Post by kfriars »

I apologize for my stupidity. heightmap is -a not -h... Sorry for asking to be spoon fed lol.
kfriars

Post by kfriars »

Still having the same issue with the texture map after compiling from the command line using.

C:\Users\Francois\Documents\Spring\mapconv>MapConv.exe -t "C:\Users\Francois\Documents\Spring\map\FogofWarTM.bmp" -a "C:\Users\Francois\Documents\Spring\map\FogofWarHM.bmp" -m "C:\Users\Francois\Documents\Spring\map\FogofWarMM.bmp" -o "C:\Users\Francois\Documents\Spring\map\FogofWar.smf" -x 300 -n -65 -c 0.7 -i -l
kfriars

Post by kfriars »

Is it possible my texture bitmap is of the wrong type. My texture is 24 bit windows bmp.

And just since it isnt documented anywhere what are all of the accepted file types and specs for mapconv files... Metal, texture, height, type, feature etc..
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

I usually use jpg for texture and png for the rest, you could try that. Also disable compression for a better final result (might speed up compiling too).
kfriars

Post by kfriars »

Well, I tried the file types you suggested to no avail. I am literally at a loss as to what to try next. I have compiled on two separate windows machines and one Linux machine using wine. Any other suggestions?
knorke

Post by knorke »

kfriars wrote:Any other suggestions?
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=16341
imo the easiest way and no messing around with command line.
(you can import your hm+texture images)
kfriars

Post by kfriars »

Bah, I forgot about spring map-edit since it wasnt working on my linux machine. Thank you so much knorke. Still LOADS of work to do, but at least now I know it will not be in vain. Thank you ALL VERY MUCH for your help.

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

You can rename smf/smd/mapinfo.lua to whatever you want. If you rename the smt, the texture will break.

Also, yet another world map...

kfriars

Post by kfriars »

Well actually, this map will be suited paricularily to a mod I am making with two other people. It is a full featured remake of the turnbased strategy game Diplomacy. It's ambitious.. and I realize there are better options for turn based games aside from Spring, however it is for a school project and Spring was our only choice for an engine. So thank you all for your help, I truly appreciate it!
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

kfriars wrote:Still having the same issue with the texture map after compiling from the command line using.

C:\Users\Francois\Documents\Spring\mapconv>MapConv.exe -t "C:\Users\Francois\Documents\Spring\map\FogofWarTM.bmp" -a "C:\Users\Francois\Documents\Spring\map\FogofWarHM.bmp" -m "C:\Users\Francois\Documents\Spring\map\FogofWarMM.bmp" -o "C:\Users\Francois\Documents\Spring\map\FogofWar.smf" -x 300 -n -65 -c 0.7 -i -l
-o doesnt permit full path. just the filename!
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Nice to see you worked it out :-) though SpringMapEdit is a compromise that shouldn't be necessary to make it work.

Just an early comment, go easy there on the bumpiness, Spring pathing is a bit erhm, sensitive, to that. For best result use SSMF to add splat textures for snow, grass, mountain and desert plus specular map to make the desert and snow brighter than the rest.
kfriars

Post by kfriars »

Behe, you are absolutely correct, trying to compile the output to another folder is what was causing the problem. Just figured I would put this here in case anyone else runs into this problem. Again thank you all for the help!

Return to “Map Creation”