Integrated Bittorrent for map downloads? - Page 2

Integrated Bittorrent for map downloads?

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Good idea?

I like it, looks sound.
59%
I like it, but I came up with some improvements written below.
8%
I don't like it, and have written why.
5%
ooo! shiny!
28%

Total votes: 39

Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Plus (most) users don't vote with the technical feasibility in mind. IMHO torrents would take way too much time to implement compared to something relatively easy as allowing mirrors to join FU.
esteroth12

Post by esteroth12 »

smoth wrote:Perhaps the game host/players in the battleroom can dolly out the files... the user can join a game and wait while the host/other players stream the stuff to them?
that would probably be best, as the main time you are d/ling maps is in the battleroom... the main problem is that the main FU site will still be using its own bandwidth, but it is mostly used on map downloads, i heard
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Tobi wrote:Plus (most) users don't vote with the technical feasibility in mind. IMHO torrents would take way too much time to implement compared to something relatively easy as allowing mirrors to join FU.
Yeah you are right :)
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

You have to admit, using a poll got the discussion going. :)
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

i dont like it, devs should rather spend time on sth more usefull. Spring itself for instance ;)

Unless u can very easy adopt some opensource BT client and intergrate it into tas client. Its still not trivial..
Krysole

Post by Krysole »

Bittorrent isn't the most complex protocol to implement, and it would present an interesting avenue for peer map transfering (non server based maps).

The reality is, however, that it simply will not happen. We don't really have enough programmers to support BT code in the lobbies, remembering that the linux lobby isn't even finished yet (and never mind mac;)).

As for downloading from the main servers, if we really wan't to deal with bt distrobution then dedicated tracker would be more appropriate, and have people dowload the maps they wan't by hand instead. But i'm guessing that it wouldn't really be too convenient over normal downloading in the existing lobbies.

Return to “Engine”