We need a stronger red! - Page 3

We need a stronger red!

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

I think Smoth needs to take a vacation
smoth

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:calm down smoth, you're correct and that alone will bring you through, you're just shooting yourself in the foot now
Yeah sorry af, I just feel like people here like to put me on the chopping block.

TOBI! THANK YOU THANK YOU!

That was what I was trying to get at.. damn I'm daft... it is just a transparent overlay. Wow, you nailed it on the head, I for the life of me, could not figure out how to say it.

And now that i see the color in the color slider... yeah red is just short of salmon pink!

would you be so kind as to set

tan as: 164,142,104
red at: 234, 000, 000

That would fix at least tan and red. I would be EXTREMELY GRATEFULL! I am serious I would realy appreciate it. you have NO IDEA how much.
smoth

Post by smoth »

jcnossen wrote:I think Smoth needs to take a vacation
yeah, I am probably going to do a self enforced ban in a week. I am just trying to help and get as much done this week as next week/month I may be soo busy I cannot do much. :(
Pxtl

Okay

Post by Pxtl »

Chill out Smoth. While you're right, I can't help but notice one thing:

Your vehicle looks a lot more red now that it is black, doesn't it? Yeah, the colour isn't red. I was wrong. You still got a better result by turning it black didn't you?

Oh, and I said "let's assume" in my post. I never said it was pure red. I just said how to get the reddest colour. And you may have noticed, other people were suggesting to use dark grey instead of black. I was trying to contradict that.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

The material color is used in the OpenGL lighting, which can change it a lot:

lit_color = light_ambient(from the map config) + "unit diffuse color from the map" * texture color.

Use a map with no ambient color and (1,1,1) diffuse color for the units, then check the color again.
smoth

Post by smoth »

jcnossen wrote:Use a map with no ambient color and (1,1,1) diffuse color for the units, then check the color again.
That is what the black ship is... do me a favor and punch the rgb color in... and you will see:
The above image is the current "red" which is more a salmon pink.

Seriously, if you would just set the values as thus:
tan as: 164,142,104
red at: 234, 000, 000

it would correct red and tan. PLEASE TRY IT. I will give you a copy of my mod that has the white base so you can see for yourself. however, that flea....
This is solid team color as in the maximum saturation I could get of color.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Ok, idiots.

Here is proof that you all need to drink a bunch of STFU. I've already told you how to solve your problem, but you insulted me, so I've deleted the relevant sentences. But, short version is... you're COMPLETELY WRONG. Teamcolor WORKS JUST FINE, and the RGB values are NOT BROKEN. You're just using an incorrect texturing method.

Proof?

Shots from UpSpring. Now kiss my ass, and I might reveal how this is done. And yes, it's simple.

See? That's mutha-trucking RED. Now will you people shut up? I solved these problems months ago, and yet you people have the gall to insult me. Guess how likely that makes me to share any further technical tricks with you?
Last edited by Argh on 26 May 2006, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

UpSpring is not TAspring
smoth

Post by smoth »

THE RED SPRING USES IS NOT 255!

the color I show in the color selection tool is the color they use in spring.
THIS RIGHT HERE IS THE COLOR SPRING USES! Shut up and read the code that tobi posted.

You are indeed agitating

Listen to me, like you have ever listen to anyone in your life.

It is not a matter of the colors being displayed wrong the COLOR is wrong. IT is again:
THIS COLOR NOT RED! IT IS PINK!
Last edited by smoth on 26 May 2006, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Argh

Post by Argh »

It works fine in Spring too, or does nobody want to believe the first person to build a working S3O mod? Have any of you looked at the teamcolors in NanoBlobs 0.41b yet? Are they broken? No, they aren't.

I will post pictures in Spring when I have time to- in about 8 hours. Until then, you guys should go look at the textures in NanoBlobs, and LEARN FROM THEM, instead of telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about.

And fine... Spring uses some not-quite-red. So the hell what? This whole thing was supposedly about the teamcolors not being ACCURATE.

They are totally accurate.
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

not-quite-red would indicate to me that its not accurate if its not-quite-red.. id pefer red to pinkish It doesnt matter how dark you make a shade of pink.. its still a shade of pink.. the shade is wrong it just needs to be addressed why does this offend you so..

You freaking people whine about the damn laser color system because its so hard to use a hue slider.. and they change that and everyone goes all woohoo happy on us.. that didnt need changing it worked fine the way it is now but meh..

Smoth comes in here and points out what he thinks is an issue himself that the red looks pink.. and then makes several dozen picture points that show that it is indeed a pink color... You all proceed to jump down his throat about it for some reason.. and tell him hes an idiot for not use the "insert dirty workaround" to get by it and that we should just leave it be... why does it bother you so much.. cause clearly it doesnt bother you if they change the damn laser system but oh no we cant fiddle with a team color value to tweak it slightly.. nm that you all had to figure out some way to make it incredibly dark so people wouldnt notice it was pink..

FFs look if you need to do some crazy stuff in order to get it to not be pink... maybe there is a problem and making it gasp.. not pink will solve this..
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

dude, reread from the 1st post, who's the agressor.
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

you guys..

he was completely civil in his first post.. but then caydr showed up and basically took the air that he doesnt know what hes talking about at all.. well you also have to understand that he gets this kind o crap from you people all the time and just snapped here.. I think he figured that first picture was pretty convincing..
Last edited by Fanger on 26 May 2006, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

FFS why was it not 255, 0, 0 in the first place? That's just common sense...
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

I'm serious I just reread it, and theres no hostility at all.
smoth reports something wrong in spring, people suggest a fix or that the problem may lie elsewhere, smoth posts sarcastic remarks and starts namecalling, I mean he's right but still other mods don't have the problem so theres reason to argue what the deal here is.
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

its irrelvent whether he is being an ass about it.. hes right and no one and I MEAN no one wants to just pony up and say yes it it is pink.. Smoth feels he has to be a sarcastic ass because as far as he can see that is the only way to get through to you.. and hes right its pink.. just fricking admit its pink and lets fix it.. not do some more dirty work arounds.. or do we just whine about stuff that works fine but is not super easy to figure out right away instead of stuff that is clearly fubar..
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

The units in nanoblobs are pink anyways...
smoth

Post by smoth »

Machiosabre wrote:problem may lie elsewhere, smoth posts sarcastic remarks and starts namecalling, I mean he's right but still other mods don't have the problem so theres reason to argue what the deal here is.
It is pink, they are saying that by darkening it the texture will be red. That is not true. It will be an odd shade of pink. See the picture of the black textured whitebase.

Also as I keep saying, they are saying is not a problem because it is something they can live with. I cannot live with pink and grey where it should be red and tan.

That is it. They are saying try this and that. I did all of it and understand what they are saying. In the end they are not listening, it is still going to be pink. if you set the model to pink it will be pink.

Here is a proper analogy. It is like a layer in photoshop, fill it with pink. Make the background layer black. NOW reduce the transparency of the pink layer. You will not have red. That is the situation. Argh has never written the code to handle it. I have.

What he is talking about is texture application. however, if the color is wrong it is wrong same as that photoshop layer.

*edit* the main point is that people are argueing this that it will not work out ALL I am asking for is them to correct the RGB values. For the devs it should take next to no time. It will look better I swear it will! */end edit*

Oh, hey so you know.. I did check earlier.. yeah the nanoblobs red team is PINK!
Erom

Post by Erom »

I'm confused as to why, when Tobi posted the source, people didn't just go "Oh, hey look, Smoth's right, red teamcolor isn't 255/0/0. Yeah, changing that would be cool."

So what if there is a workaround? I think it would be useful to have it default to true red... as FA said, it's just more intuitive.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

I don't think anyone can argue that I'm too biased towards smoth, but in this case he is correct.

Return to “Engine”