ANN: Spring fork starting development - Page 2

ANN: Spring fork starting development

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Re: ANN: Spring fork starting development

Post by AF »

There's no reason not to have both systems.

For example I've always advocated that on low level systems, having weaponsfire that always hits and has no physics beyond animation and visual effects could be desirable, both as part of the game mechanic, and as a means of lowering a games requirements.

For example in certain *A flavours it may be desirable to do nothing more than check that the peewee and flash has LOS from their weapon emit to the target and then simply draw the projectiles going in a straight line rather than simulating each EMG shot moving across the landscape.

The same with unit collisions and the occupation of area, it may be a desirable game mechanic for units to be able to pass through eachother or clip slightly as they do in other RTS games, either as a performance tweak, or to change the game mechanics.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Re: ANN: Spring fork starting development

Post by dansan »

SinbadEV wrote:Assuming that the servers run on something akin to auto-hosts (which already run multiple simultaneous instances of Spring) I think it's realistic.
autohosts do not run the simulation. They are just proxies and a chat-&cmd-bot.

Still - from what I read here it sounds reasonable. Exciting project - I wish you success :)

Return to “Engine”