Build failure on Fedora 12 (gcc 4.4.2)

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

abompard

Post by abompard »

Hi all,

I'm trying to build Spring 0.80.5.2 on Fedora 12 (gcc 4.4.2) and I get this failure at the linking stage :

Code: Select all

CMakeFiles/spring.dir/Game/SelectMenu.cpp.o: In function `SelectMenu::Update()':
/home/pkg/fedora/pkgs/spring/F-12/spring_0.80.5.2/rts/Game/SelectMenu.cpp:212: undefined reference to `Connection::Poll()'
CMakeFiles/spring.dir/System/UpdaterWindow.cpp.o: In function `UpdaterWindow':       
/home/pkg/fedora/pkgs/spring/F-12/spring_0.80.5.2/rts/System/UpdaterWindow.cpp:14: undefined reference to `Connection::Connection()'
/home/pkg/fedora/pkgs/spring/F-12/spring_0.80.5.2/rts/System/UpdaterWindow.cpp:26: undefined reference to `Connection::Connect(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, int)'           
/home/pkg/fedora/pkgs/spring/F-12/spring_0.80.5.2/rts/System/UpdaterWindow.cpp:27: undefined reference to `Connection::~Connection()'
/home/pkg/fedora/pkgs/spring/F-12/spring_0.80.5.2/rts/System/UpdaterWindow.cpp:14: undefined reference to `Connection::Connection()'
/home/pkg/fedora/pkgs/spring/F-12/spring_0.80.5.2/rts/System/UpdaterWindow.cpp:26: undefined reference to `Connection::Connect(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, int)'           
/home/pkg/fedora/pkgs/spring/F-12/spring_0.80.5.2/rts/System/UpdaterWindow.cpp:27: undefined reference to `Connection::~Connection()'
CMakeFiles/spring.dir/System/UpdaterWindow.cpp.o: In function `~UpdaterWindow':         
/home/pkg/fedora/pkgs/spring/F-12/spring_0.80.5.2/rts/System/UpdaterWindow.h:16: undefined reference to `Connection::~Connection()'
/home/pkg/fedora/pkgs/spring/F-12/spring_0.80.5.2/rts/System/UpdaterWindow.h:16: undefined reference to `Connection::~Connection()'
Any idea what's happening here ? Thanks !
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Re: Build failure on Fedora 12 (gcc 4.4.2)

Post by Auswaschbar »

Strange, that should not happen.

1. Did you start from a clean build directory?
2. Were there any errors before this one?
abompard

Post by abompard »

Yes, I started from a clean tarball and ran :

cmake -DDATADIR:PATH=share/spring -DLIBDIR:PATH=lib
Before these lines are a "Linking CXX executable ../spring" message in red, followed by several screenful of files being linked, ending with :

-o ../spring -rdynamic -lopenal -logg -lvorbisfile -lvorbis -lGL -lGLU -lGLEW -lIL -lILU -L/usr/lib -Wl,--export-dynamic -lalleg-4.2.2 -lalleg_unsharable -lfreetype -lX11 -lXcursor -lSDL -lpthread -lboost_regex-mt -lboost_thread-mt -lboost_program_options-mt -lboost_system-mt -lboost_signals-mt lib/liblua.a lib/lib7zip.a lib/libhpiutil2.a lib/liboscpack.a lib/libminizip.a lib/streflop/libstreflop.a lib/liblobby.so -lz -lboost_thread-mt -lboost_system-mt
ofaurax

Post by ofaurax »

Same problem here
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

could you try compiling latest spring master?
also, talk to devs on the lobby, for more comfortable problem finding.
abompard

Post by abompard »

It does build here with the git master. I'm trying to extract which change caused the build to work, but it's pretty hard for me...
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

git has some tools that can help you there.
for example, if you think you know which file could contian the fix, you can search for commits that changed this file with gitk. an other thing to use is git bisect (you'll find info about it online or in the man page).
sorry if you already knew ;-)
abompard

Post by abompard »

Actually, it's not fixed in git master. It's rather hard to say, but I think it comes from one of my compilation options. I tried running make without "-j4" but it's not that either.

I'll keep looking...
abompard

Post by abompard »

I think I tracked it back to this CMake option

-DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=ON 
With it, the build fails, and without it it completes.

Olivier, can you confirm this ?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

CMake Docu wrote: add_library(<name> [STATIC | SHARED | MODULE] [EXCLUDE_FROM_ALL] source1 source2 ... source)
If no type is given explicitly the type is STATIC or SHARED based on whether the current value of the variable BUILD_SHARED_LIBS is true.
how did that flag get in there??

guess we should make all types explicit though. i will do that.
thanks for finding!

edit:
made all add_library() calls in our CMake build files explicit (there was only this one for lib-lobby that was not).
ofaurax

Post by ofaurax »

Yes, same here.
-DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=ON --> Fail
-DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=OFF --> Build
abompard

Post by abompard »

hoijui wrote: how did that flag get in there??
It's in the default cmake command when building Fedora RPMs.
hoijui wrote: guess we should make all types explicit though. i will do that.
Thanks !
abompard

Post by abompard »

I confirm it does build with rpm's default cmake command after adding this commit:
http://github.com/spring/spring/commit/ ... a20a839246

Thanks a lot hoijui !
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

:D was really no work for me; you did it.
i also added the commit to the 0.80.5-branch, which can be compiled to play online (contains some more fixes then the current tarball on top of 0.80.5.2).

Return to “Engine”