Goal!

Goal!

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Ace07

Goal!

Post by Ace07 »

No...the client isn't done yet....

Made you think twice there didn't I?

Either way, there is a lot to talk about at this point. I think I am very close to being completely finished with designing the gui. The next phase is to ask for further suggestions that haven't already been suggested. The phase after that is making it work, which should be good fun. :twisted:

So...without further ado:

Lobby window
Connect dialog
Host dialog (now with 25% less fluff!)

Server tab of the Battleroom
Map tab of the Battleroom
Mod tab of the Battleroom

Disabled Units dialog

Interface tab of the Client Settings window
Options tab of the Client Settings window
Advanced tab of the Client Settings window

Game Settings window

There is a lot that has changed in here, so don't be surprised if your favorite feature was changed (even if its just a simple change). Currently, the artists probably notice where the Art is lacking, so its would be good to get some people working on replacing the placeholders.

Current art need is the following:

-"Basic" icons that will be next to player's names in the Battleroom and Lobby windows = 24x24
-An icon for changing the settings for Spring (found in the lobby window represented as a red spring) = 16x16
-An icon for changing the settings of the Client (found in the lobby window represented as a "sync" icon) = 16x16
-An icon for hosting games (found in the lobby inbetween the disconnect icon and the red spring icon) = 16x16
-Rendered images of every single unit/structure in the game (for the Disabled Units Tab) = 94x94

The last one is quite a large project, because they all need to be consistent!

There is probably tons I could jabber on about, but on to the suggestions! I want to hear anything that you guys want to see implimented (within reason). I know we have already had 3 threads about this, but hopefully this one will end it all. What do you want to see before we start coding?

NOTE: Ignore black color, it will look just like windows when you get to test it.
NOTE2: Changing the color of the GUI is probably impossible. I have tried to do it but the functions don't work as intended.
coryrc

Post by coryrc »

Host: I still don't think we need Max Nrg/Metal nor disable units

Lobby: We still need to design this architecturally

Client Settings: Skinning/colorizing is the last thing... Let's concentrate on the other stuff.

Unit pics: Can't we use buildpics? (;) I already know the answer is yes)

I'm not just complaining without helping, though!
I have written some communication stuff and I have a "battleroom" talking to a "battleroom server" aka settings.txt file generator.

I've got more stuff, I'll be back!
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I know it is a bit much to ask, and what you have produced seems to be very functional, but I'd like to see a few more gimmicky images scattered about the place, even if only mostly opaqued out.

In particular, I like the humorous contrast of themes of "Spring" as both the season and a game of complete destruction.

Like, the battle scarred flower as an i in Spring that someone designed at one point, I thought was excellent.

Generally, for images, you could get an image of Spring, like bees, flowers, things like that, and run them through photoshop to give them a dirty "war" feel.
I'd do it for you myself, but I'm really busy at the moment (if you can wait a few weeks till exams are over, I can do it then...).

To spell it out visually:
Combine an image with the gritty feel of this:

With a spring theme like this:

So that you get something along the lines of this (with much more work, perhaps some wind and grain filters applied (just a lucky find on google, I dodn't do this):

[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Host needs kick button.

Otherwise brilliant work.
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

Brilliant work, except that I prefer a working crappy looking interface over a beautiful non working interface :D
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Looks awesome, now hope it will get a working clinet....
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

a sampling of the logos from the logo thread so long ago.

Its a photobucket account, so I dont think Neuralize will hate me for linking it here <_<

Peewee!

Two takes on the Spring logo, again by Neuralize

and of course, the brilliant box concept by Neuralize

Finally, a bit from disciplus, its supposed to be the core comm..i think o.O
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

coryrc wrote:Unit pics: Can't we use buildpics? (;) I already know the answer is yes)
I would rather that we use renders of the units. Sure we can use the wxGLCanvas class to render it in realtime, but I haven't messed around with how good python is with that.

The color stuff is really easy to impliment, which is why I put it in there.

Ya, the lobby needs work, but I don't know any other good way to do this. I set it up so its a tabbed interface, which is quite useful for various reasons. Currently it can't be stretched or changed in size, because I haven't been able to figure out a good way to do that yet. I doubt I will be able to, because its a lot of work to get it working.

If someone wants to design the lobby a bit differently, give me a layout picture and show me how you think it should be.

I also agree with the host dialog statement. Disabled units doesn't need to be there. However, I think max nrg and metal should still be there.

@Napalm Cobra: The kick buttons are dynamic. When a player joins the server, the host is able to kick by selecting the "Open" or "Closed" option in the combo box (thus making the slot either open for new players or closed to new players). It should work similar to how Warcraft 3 works.

I like this image for some reason:

EDIT: Some of the images were not preview images. Particularily all of the Battleroom pics and the disabled units pic were not correct. They should be fixed now, however.
coryrc

Post by coryrc »

Ace07 wrote:Ya, the lobby needs work, but I don't know any other good way to do this. I set it up so its a tabbed interface, which is quite useful for various reasons. Currently it can't be stretched or changed in size, because I haven't been able to figure out a good way to do that yet. I doubt I will be able to, because its a lot of work to get it working.
I mean, don't bother dicking around with a "lobby" because it's just a waste of time since we don't have a plan -- that would be a nice thing to make, btw.
(Sizers!)

Here's the UML of how I have been developing the communication:
I have only been concentrating on gamer<->battleroom communication. I've got two little test GUI's talking to each other.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

That first logo was the one I was talking about. Brilliant; just brilliant...
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

I will mess around with it just a little bit. I use more sizers than you could ever imagine, and there are so many that its relatively crazy. The last time I tried to make changes in the window size work I almost died trying. It just wouldn't ever yield the intended result.

I will see what I can do though.
coryrc

Post by coryrc »

I'm pretty good with sizers. I'll give it a shot, if you still have trouble.
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

I have a feeling that I might need to do it by hand, which is why I think I am not getting the results I want.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Good work! Perhaps you can squeeze a picture of the mod onto the first page? Just a small one? Not sure how, but anyway.

Also, for disabled units, I vote that we create all new build pics, even if they are simpler than the originals (don't have flashy backgrounds). Have them in 24-bit color, and use them bother here and in-game. Should be the same size as OTA ones I think, though.
Delta

Post by Delta »

Doomweaver wrote:...I vote that we create all new build pics...
Another step towards using non-copywrighted content.
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

Ya, I kind of wanted that. It would be cool to be able to have our own pictures for all the units. But possibly rendering them in the disabled units browser could be useful. You could have them walk and stuff.

We would need one person to do all of the renders. But like you said, they could be used in-game also. They could serve dual purposes.
Kickban

Post by Kickban »

I have a question...
In your screenies, we can see that the host gave a name with spaces to the game. Are you sure central game server can handle this ? Because if not, we also need to modify the game server code, and don't think we can without the help of SY....
And spaces are a must have for game names !
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

MAD TA made new buildpics for all of the OTA units. They can be found in the UTASP mod, I believe, tucked away in its bowels.
RightField

Post by RightField »

Ace07 wrote:Ya, I kind of wanted that. It would be cool to be able to have our own pictures for all the units. But possibly rendering them in the disabled units browser could be useful. You could have them walk and stuff.

We would need one person to do all of the renders. But like you said, they could be used in-game also. They could serve dual purposes.
Get em to add support for truecolor buildpics, so the new ones doesn't have to be dithered by the TA color palette.
el_muchacho

Post by el_muchacho »

Will there be an upload facility in the battleroom, as has been requested by some ?

It would be cool, so that when one lacks units or maps, he can automatically dl them from the host.

Return to “Engine”