Problems when compiling springlobby on linux mint

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

albator

Post by albator »

If player want to install spring from the repo, spring lobby is not compatible with spring and the springsettings.cfg file keep the be erased and reset for no reason.

Apparently the only way to fix that to get the static version on spring.
However, when you want to grab a lobby you cannot find it.

Here: http://springrts.com/wiki/Download
It tells you to go here to find a lobby: http://springrts.com/wiki/SetupGuide

But you dont find anything eventually: http://springrts.com/wiki/File:Distributions-ubuntu.png

If you want to compile springLobby yourself after lurkking on forums using this http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=31224

There is no documentation telling you which library you should use to compile

Hope that help to make the no spring geek be able to play spring (and also maybe I can manage to finally prevent to erase my springsettings.cfg file all the time)
Last edited by abma on 29 Sep 2014, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected thread subject
qray

Re: [TipForWhyPlayerDontPlaySpring]Lobby

Post by qray »

I guess from "install spring from the repo" you talk about a Linux system (ubuntu?).

Regarding the settings being erased: I remember having that problem, too.

If I remember right, I solved it by replacing the springsettings.cfg in the dir of the static binary with a link to ~/.config/spring/springsettings.cfg and deleting all other occurences of the file (and an ancient .springrc file). I hope I remember it right :-)

If this doesn't work, here's what I used before:
an ugly workaround is making a backup of the springsettings.cfg to e.g.springsettings.cfg.save after you done all the settings. Then starting the lobby by a script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
/usr/games/springlobby &  #or self compiled newer version
sleep 5
cp ~/spring/static_binaries/spring_96.0_minimal-portable-linux64-static/springsettings.cfg.save ~/spring/static_binaries/spring_96.0_minimal-portable-linux64-static/springsettings.cfg
exit
(adjust paths to your system)

Maybe this helps.

EDIT:

regarding the dependencies when you compile a newer version yourself, I followed this guide:
https://github.com/springlobby/springlo ... pendencies (scroll also to the bottom of this page).

The line to install all dependencies should read similar to this in Ubuntu (again: if I remember right :wink: ... some version numbers could be wrong):

sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake libwxgtk2.8-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libboost-dev libalure-dev libboost-thread-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-system-dev libpng12-dev
albator

Post by albator »

Thanks, that help me to go through.

However I am stuck at the alure lib that I installed

sudo apt-get install libalure-dev libalure-1
Still, I have:

CMake Error at sound/CMakeLists.txt:9 (find_package):
  By not providing "FindAlure.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project has
  asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by "Alure", but
  CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Alure" with any of
  the following names:

AlureConfig.cmake
    alure-config.cmake

Also, the reason why I dont use static build is cause the perf suck by comparison to the spring from repo so I want to use spring from the repo + any lobby I can find, but unfortonaty the lobby from the repo does not work and also springlobby is a pain to make it work. I would use a static Springlobby version if I could find one but I could not find any till now. Any one knows one ?
qray

Post by qray »

Strange, worked for me without problems for lobby versions 0.184 to 0.200 (sources came from the tarballs given in the thread you mention above).
But ATM I am still on the last Ubuntu LTS (12.04); maybe that makes a difference...
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

If player want to install spring from the repo, spring lobby is not compatible with spring and the springsettings.cfg file keep the be erased and reset for no reason.
At a guess: SpringLobby is not to blame and it's not related to linux either - it's remnants of old Spring installs laying around that were not uninstalled. Most likely explanation afaics is that you are mistaken about "erased/reset" and what is really going on is that you have some springsettings.cfg hanging around from one of your old installs in one of Spring read dirs, and on each load all the settings from this get transferred into the springsettings in your write dir.

The way to check if it is this (which cannot be done remotely) is too understand which parts of http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30044 apply to your setup. Also check infolog for "using additional config file" lines.
qray

Post by qray »

I totally agree: The check for old version remnants is of course the first thing to do.

But at least in my case, this didn't solve it completely (using a static binary under linux installed in its own folder and after deleting -thoroughly- all remnants from old installations).
There were always two springsettings.cfg popping up: in the folder of the static binary and the default one: ~/.config/spring/springsettings.cfg. It didn't matter, which of the two I deleted, there were always two in the end. With each start, the settings were overwritten. The infolog didn't show any signs of additional config files...

This problem may be related only to the static binary approach, though.
albator

Post by albator »

Silentwings wrote:
At a guess: SpringLobby is not to blame and it's not related to linux either - it's remnants of old Spring installs laying around that were not uninstalled. Most likely explanation afaics is that you are mistaken about "erased/reset" and what is really going on is that you have some springsettings.cfg hanging around from one of your old installs in one of Spring read dirs, and on each load all the settings from this get transferred into the springsettings in your write dir.

The way to check if it is this (which cannot be done remotely) is too understand which parts of http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30044 apply to your setup. Also check infolog for "using additional config file" lines.

Erasing everything as well as looking for old config file in my system did not solve anything, that is a lead that I already took a months ago. At that time I have conversation with some dev telling me the old SL version avaialble on the repo not supported anymore and that I should upgrade anyway and that is the reason why I wrote that very 1st post.

That being said, that would be nice to stay on the topic and have feedback on my 1st post: why the Linux user do not have access to a compatible lobby from the repo and why there is not even a link to point to a place where to find a lobby ?

Of course, you can just blame me for not being good enough to compile SL as well as the other dudes that were lucky enough (and have enough courage / spend enough time) to find SL source and want to compile it (e.g. http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32495).

How many had the courage to go till there ? All the other ones are lost, and blaming the very few percentage that comes here (i.e. assuming they do something wrong instead of answering the post) to explain the problem is not an atitude that will make the usebase grow.

PS: that reacton was not person oriented, I am just bored I see so many answer that does not answer the right the question.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@albator:

basic problems i see: you provide no info about what you are doing. also your infos are incomplete. please provide ALL commands you typed to compile it and ALL output of compile. else its not possible to help you. maybe i shouldn't expect such "basic knowledge" from people who are part of this community more than five years. :-(

also, please take a bit more time to choose the right forum.

springlobby compiles well on a lot platforms, a lot of people successfully compiled it. there are no instructions for linux mint, this is why you are alone with your compile problems i guess.

please follow these instructions and if something fails, report back (with all commands you typed + full output):

https://github.com/springlobby/springlo ... g_from_Git

why is there not... because nobody made it!
MetalSucker

Re: Problems when compiling springlobby on linux mint

Post by MetalSucker »

I compiled spring lobby a few times the past few days on latest Ubuntu, worked just fine, except there were a few libraries needed outside of what was recommended, I believe it was libboost1.55-all-dev, libx11-dev, zlib-bin, libnotify-dev or something like that, but it compiles just fine and mint is pretty much ubuntu (unless debian edition)

I would also like to add that the average ubuntu user kind of expects updated PPAs and that in my very recent experiences the latest weblobby version seems to be performing better on my linux system (it's sluggish but ran everything I threw at it ... damn qt webkit :D but good js calls ), have no clue how the windows situation is. A few months ago it was the other way around.
albator

Re: Problems when compiling springlobby on linux mint

Post by albator »

Staring from scratch made it eventually. Difficult to say which package made it eventually since I tried many, many...
Bottom line is that using "cmake" instead of "cmake ." is what screw up the install I guess and lot of effort.
That maybe a good idea to avoid anything to happen when the user is not using the appropriate command.

So it works on Linux mint 17 x64 with cinnamon.

Thank you for all the support, it looks much better that the version from the repo which is years older

Return to “Help & Bugs”