Download page icons

Download page icons

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

TradeMark

Download page icons

Post by TradeMark »

So i was gonna download the newest spring, but i got confused with the icons here:
http://springrts.com/wiki/Download

Please dont make up your own icons for those logos... just makes it confusing. (i think its illegal too).

Heres my suggestions i found from short googling and resized for the proper format (no, they do not need alpha blending, they are logos!):

Maybe could add borders, but that could be done via CSS...
oksnoop2

Re: Download page icons

Post by oksnoop2 »

I rather liked the other icons. Granted, I do understand the possibility for confusion given that they are not the brand logos. I believe they were chosen because it people thought it was illegal to use the windows and mac trademarked icons.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

oksnoop2 wrote:I rather liked the other icons. Granted, I do understand the possibility for confusion given that they are not the brand logos. I believe they were chosen because it people thought it was illegal to use the windows and mac trademarked icons.
Since when has it been illegal to label Windows with the Windows logo, Apple with the Apple logo and Linux with the Linux logo? If it's illegal to use the logos to caption their own product, then that would be the stupidest corporate move ever.
Regret

Post by Regret »

But, it's so cute. ;c

Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

It would probably be a good idea to use the actual Windows and Apple logos, even if just for easy visual understanding, but the Linux one is fine.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I think the icons are funny... but at the very least, if you're going to use gag-icons you need to embrace the power of plain text.

Speaking of which, could we take EvolutionRTS off the Games Download page until Forb puts together a proper downloadable package? Right now he links right back to the Download page with instructions to go get yourself SpringDownloader and the Spring engine.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Pxtl wrote:I think the icons are funny... but at the very least, if you're going to use gag-icons you need to embrace the power of plain text.

Speaking of which, could we take EvolutionRTS off the Games Download page until Forb puts together a proper downloadable package? Right now he links right back to the Download page with instructions to go get yourself SpringDownloader and the Spring engine.
And add those instructions to the download page :/

"Spring engine updates" wtf its not just an update
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i do not know what is legal/illegal, but the reason why you may not be allowed to use the proper icons is:
you do not label windows with the windows icon, but you label your own product (spring), which is made to run on windows (by you/us, not MS). when using an official MS icon, the user could probably think that the product is made by MS. If it fails in any way (say, it has a menu bar and the first menu item is NOT "File"), you make MS look bad.

Of course that is totally silly in practice, as anyone will know that spring is not made by MS, if it is/was law...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Pxtl wrote:I think the icons are funny... but at the very least, if you're going to use gag-icons you need to embrace the power of plain text.

As I have stated multiple times ad naseum and at length, there will be an installer when the new spring version arrives. Chill out and don't get your pants in a wad :-)
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

hoijui wrote:i do not know what is legal/illegal, but the reason why you may not be allowed to use the proper icons is:
you do not label windows with the windows icon, but you label your own product (spring), which is made to run on windows (by you/us, not MS). when using an official MS icon, the user could probably think that the product is made by MS. If it fails in any way (say, it has a menu bar and the first menu item is NOT "File"), you make MS look bad.

Of course that is totally silly in practice, as anyone will know that spring is not made by MS, if it is/was law...
If it's illegal to use the company logo then it's illegal to use the company name. Not to mention, think of all the thousands, no, millions of companies that have probably used the OS names and logos together for multiple reasons. You really think the OS corporations would bother trying to track them all down?

Not to mention, if the law was in place that you can't use a company's logo to complement it's brand name, Microsoft wouldn't just be a rich company, it would probably have world domination for suing those millions of companies.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

*snipped* oops, wrong thread.
Last edited by Pxtl on 13 Aug 2010, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

The point here is that it took me a while to find the windows installer... :roll:
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

TradeMark wrote:The point here is that it took me a while to find the windows installer... :roll:
k you never played any adventures
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

hoijui wrote:you do not label windows with the windows icon, but you label your own product (spring), which is made to run on windows (by you/us, not MS).

im ps noob, just a suggestion, tho i still think old ones are good (well this apple is bit out of place)
Last edited by Wombat on 13 Aug 2010, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I've uploaded the actual brand logos and replaced them because I'm just about certain that it's not illegal. If anybody gets a phone call from any of these three companies then feel free to revert them. I'm sure Apple, Windows and Linux would love somebody else making them a misleading new logo.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Lol, jK edited them back

LET THE EDIT WARS BEGIN
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Sauerbraten is pretty high profile and they've used those platform icons for years...
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

they are also in some linux/open licenced icon packs, stating they are free to use eveyrwhere (still proves nothing of course).
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Yeah exactly. So if i remove the OS names from the icons, is it better then? Also i find it better if the OS names are in the file download links too...

Return to “General Discussion”